Which Bank?

Guest rowy

Guest BenJay
Planning on opening an account before we move, to activate on arrival. Any recommendations as to which Bank is the best?? Many thanks Penny

My strategy to this is to ensure the long term accommodation first. Then you will know where in the neighbourhood is the closest shopping centre or other centre with some ATMs installed. From what I know the ATMs are associated with specific banks and if using a card from one bank with another bank, you will be charged a fee. Quite a normal practice.

So, having the information about the ATMs in my living area then I will choose the bank whose monthly fees are the lowest and which has a good internet banking with no extra fees for using it.

But, it's just a plan for later on-line research. I'm only coming to Adelaide in September.:)

Guest kfoley0681

i found that when back in the uk westpac was the easist to open just had to fill the form out. then could deposit money from in the uk there are quite a few around to. when we got here just had to show passports and was issued cards etc really easy! maybe a good starting point then when you are settled you can always change to a different one!

Guest joolz

Hi,

We were existing HSBC customers...they were excellent and did it all for us. We are ready to rock n roll with cards etc and also have a credit history which should be useful?!

We opened a Westpac account and we still bank with them now. ATM's are hit and miss. If you don't use a Westpac ATM you get charged $2 so I tend to get cash out when I get shopping - a lot of places will do this, even petrol stations. All banks charge here for cash withdrawal ( if you don't bank with them). if you get cash out in shops there is no charge. I have a barclaysvaccount in the UK and Barclays is assoscited with Westpac so I can get free balances from a Westpac ATM.

Guest familygood

Commonwealth Bank have been excellent and very easy to set up from UK. Contact Morag the Migration Advisor in the city branch and she will sort everything out really easy for you. Just visit when you arrive and she will have cards and everything waiting for you. Also very helpful with quotes for insurance etc. Free account too as long as £2k is deposited each month. Loads of ATM's around so no worries on that front including in Mobil gas stations.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tinkham_lee

we are with Westpac, they have monthly fees, which are waived if you pay in $2k or more a month, they have quite a few ATM's and branches around. Internet and telephone banking is free and really easy to use

Guest tinkham_lee
Just be wary when you get a card that you use Savings or Cheque as Woolies and Big W have stopped using the credit button as they dnt want to pay the fees.....they would rather we pay the fees

We will stop using Woolies and Big W unless we really have to....

HG

Also by not using the credit button you are not covered in case of fraud,

To be honest, I don't see the need of the cheque, savings or credit buttons. It all comes out of the same account at the end of the day.