Claiming UK Tax back

coolerking

Guest angiestaff
Hi, I sent my hmm what ever form off a while back to claim tax back in the UK. Just wondered if anyone can say how long it took them to get theirs back?

Cheers,

Cooler

it took several months to get ours sorted as husband missed something on his form so that crossed the sea several times!. also when we finally got the cheque it then had to be sent back to the uk to confirm funds (or something like that anyway!) and then got sent back to the bank (anz) but it was a nice little surprise to find we got something off the uk governement as that had never happened before :jiggy:

ange

Guest tinkham_lee

took mine about 5 weeks to come through, and the money was paid direct into my bank account. if you take the form to your local tax office before you come over they will check through it and make sure its all correct before sending it off.

took mine about 5 weeks to come through, and the money was paid direct into my bank account. if you take the form to your local tax office before you come over they will check through it and make sure its all correct before sending it off.

Now that would have been the sensible thing to do but unfortunately I never got around to it.

It's good advice and hopefully others can follow it.

Thanks,

Cooler

Guest calamitycaz

Someone in my Dentist surgery said to me the other day that I can claim back SIX YEARS of UK tax when I leave...now I just laughed and answered something sarcastic but looking at this thread is there a grain of truth in it?!

Caz x

Someone in my Dentist surgery said to me the other day that I can claim back SIX YEARS of UK tax when I leave...now I just laughed and answered something sarcastic but looking at this thread is there a grain of truth in it?!

Caz x

I'm claiming back the tax I earned from working only part of a year and it's calculated on you working the whole year. Don't think you can claim tax back from a longer period but maybe there are circumstances that permit this.

Cooler

Guest Peachie

Hi all

we sent our P45's off to the uk tax man a few months ago and got back just over 400 quid each as not used all of personal allowance was in back account within a month but took 2 months for the refund letter to get here???? we left uk at the end of november last year

Deb x

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

hi I must be really stupid, but only been here just under a month and wondered what uk tax you are claiming back?

I think it goes something like....back over there your tax is calculated over what you earn over 12 months/52 weeks..if you leave before the end of that time you would have paid too much tax....as you have not been working for the full period.....

I hope this makes sense....if i am wrong then i am pretty sure someone will be along to out me right...lol

HG

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

right so because the tax year ends in march in uk and my husband got paid for april may and june then we moved here, he should be able to apply for some of his tax back is that correct? if so how

thank you for your help

regards everyso mad claire

right so because the tax year ends in march in uk and my husband got paid for april may and june then we moved here, he should be able to apply for some of his tax back is that correct? if so how

thank you for your help

regards everyso mad claire

Correct, the tax year actually runs from April 6th so certainly worth contacting them to claim.

Form P85 is what you need, this should help HM Revenue & Customs: Residence and domicile issues

Andy

thanks guys given us food for thought!

Now can anyone please tell me about the australian tax return form? does everyone have to fill one in?

we arrived 01/02/10,my husband began working for his employer 15/02/10 and pays tax through him but does he still need to fill a tax return form in???

Guest calamitycaz

Thanks for the link - very useful!! I will be printing it out and filling it in and putting it in the 'to do' drawer ready for posting on 1st December :)

Caz x