Claiming your UK tax back

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Good one HG.

Here are a couple more forms that could be useful to people regarding taxation.

Firstly, form NRL1 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl1.pdf this allows expats that have UK property to receive their rental income from the UK property gross (ie before tax).

Secondly, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r85.pdf form R85, this allows people who are leaving savings in the UK to receive their interest without tax being deducted.

Just to note, it is not the UK allowing people not to pay tax but instead if someone is not going to earn over their personal allowance (see below for 2010 tax year) then is saves them having tax deducted from their rent and/or savings and then having to claim it back the following year.

under 65 = £6,475 p.a

65 to 74 = £9,490 p.a

75 or over = £9,640 p.a

Cheers

Andy

• 11 months later...
Guest cyprus2001
Good one HG.

Here are a couple more forms that could be useful to people regarding taxation.

Firstly, form NRL1 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/nrl1.pdf this allows expats that have UK property to receive their rental income from the UK property gross (ie before tax).

Secondly, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r85.pdf form R85, this allows people who are leaving savings in the UK to receive their interest without tax being deducted.

Just to note, it is not the UK allowing people not to pay tax but instead if someone is not going to earn over their personal allowance (see below for 2010 tax year) then is saves them having tax deducted from their rent and/or savings and then having to claim it back the following year.

under 65 = £6,475 p.a

65 to 74 = £9,490 p.a

75 or over = £9,640 p.a

Cheers

Andy

very useful thankyou, my husband has a uk pension with prudential that he wishes tro transfer to his work based pension in austrailia what would be the best way for him to do this without losing alot of money, either just transfer or cash in this end and just physically put it in the other. also we going on a 457 visa temporary 4 years can we get a uk tax allowance and an austrailian tax allowance do you know are do we have to toal them together

many thanks

very useful thankyou, my husband has a uk pension with prudential that he wishes tro transfer to his work based pension in austrailia what would be the best way for him to do this without losing alot of money, either just transfer or cash in this end and just physically put it in the other. also we going on a 457 visa temporary 4 years can we get a uk tax allowance and an austrailian tax allowance do you know are do we have to toal them together

many thanks

Hi

Not too sure what you meaning by losing a lot of money?

He certainly wouldn't be able to just take the cash (unless it falls within the rules of triviality http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/workplace-pension-schemes/final-salary-schemes/cashing-in-pensions-(triviality).

I would suggest that you seek advice from a Financial Planner that understands fully the UK and Oz Super/Pension system as to the best way for you to approach this.

One major point to note, some relatively recent changes mean that it can be very dangerous for people on temporary resident visas to transfer their UK Pensions to Australia if they cannot guarantee that they will gain permanent residence.

In the event of someone transferring their Pension and not securing permanent residency and subsequently having to leave Australia it could leave the monies in a situation whereby a breach occurs and big penalties/taxes will be sought by HMRC.

Regarding the tax allowances, tax residents of Australia are entitled to earn up to a certain amount without paying tax like the UK and people can make use of both countries personal allowances if applicable.

However permanent residents of Australia generally need to declare their worldwide income and pay tax accordingly in Australia whereas temporary residents generally only need to declare their Australian income, meaning there can be some great tax strategies for temporary residents.

Regards

Andy

Guest cyprus2001
Hi

Not too sure what you meaning by losing a lot of money?

He certainly wouldn't be able to just take the cash (unless it falls within the rules of triviality http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/workplace-pension-schemes/final-salary-schemes/cashing-in-pensions-(triviality).

I would suggest that you seek advice from a Financial Planner that understands fully the UK and Oz Super/Pension system as to the best way for you to approach this.

One major point to note, some relatively recent changes mean that it can be very dangerous for people on temporary resident visas to transfer their UK Pensions to Australia if they cannot guarantee that they will gain permanent residence.

In the event of someone transferring their Pension and not securing permanent residency and subsequently having to leave Australia it could leave the monies in a situation whereby a breach occurs and big penalties/taxes will be sought by HMRC.

Regarding the tax allowances, tax residents of Australia are entitled to earn up to a certain amount without paying tax like the UK and people can make use of both countries personal allowances if applicable.

However permanent residents of Australia generally need to declare their worldwide income and pay tax accordingly in Australia whereas temporary residents generally only need to declare their Australian income, meaning there can be some great tax strategies for temporary residents.

Regards

Andy

thanks, some interesting info to looki into definately

cheers;)

• 1 month later...
Guest loopylisa

I'm trying to get my tax back for the 2010/2011 year as I returned to uni so did not earn over the threshold. Its like trying to get blood out of a stone. They kept asking me to send more info, id sent it in and then they would ask for even more info... they couldnt just ask for all the info they needed at once. If i ever get my tax back I will let you know

• 2 months later...
Guest Scottish_Mitchells

Hi,

On a similar note, can anyone help regarding Aussie tax. If I am a permanent resident in OZ, and a director / share holder of a UK Company will I be liable for Australian tax on any dividend payments I receive from my UK Company? I've heard 50%

I don't want to pay tax in UK and Oz!

Any help appreciated.

Guest Adelaide_bound
I'm trying to get my tax back for the 2010/2011 year as I returned to uni so did not earn over the threshold. Its like trying to get blood out of a stone. They kept asking me to send more info, id sent it in and then they would ask for even more info... they couldnt just ask for all the info they needed at once. If i ever get my tax back I will let you know

I know this was a bit back now Lisa, but thought I'd chip in - it shouldn't be hard at all to get your tax back if you have overpaid due to being a student etc (I've done this loads of times - kept going back to uni/having time out etc), you just need to contact your last tax office (if you don't know where this was, if you phone the one local to you where you last lived in the UK and they can tell you) and give them your NI number and they can process it - I can't even remember filling in any forms tbh. IIRC they send a cheque, which might be a bit of a pain as it will be in GB£ (and could possibly only be to a UK address?) but you can check details like that with them directly, and pay any refund into a UK bank account?

It does seem to take months and months for them to send the cheque, but they shouldn't need any details as tax etc is (generally) taken as PAYE and all collated on your NI number, just that and your address to send the cheque to :)

• 7 months later...
Guest rlord

hello peeps, on the form it asks for an address in the country we are emigrating to but first of all it will be holiday rental and then we are going to look for a long term rental what shall I put in???

thanks in advance