how much money to start

Guest mandy.s

Guest mandy.s

Hi There,

I hope i can get some help and advice

my OH and I are having a dispute (very calmly) about how much money we need to take, he feels we need to take a mega amount which i feel we dont have to as we will both be working

the question i wanted to ask is if you had a family of 4 and coming to rent what is the least amount would you have come with?????????????????????

hope you can help solve our little debate

thanks from Mandy:wubclub::wubclub::wubclub:

How long is a piece of string :P

I guess it depends on what quality of life you are used to living, what you would like to have when you arrive here and many other things. If you are not planning to buy I'd suggest 4-6 months rent (plus deposit/bond etc) and enough to cover your living costs for the same period of time. If you (both or either) already have a job to start then you could get away with less I am sure. But I'm one who likes to know there is enough to cover things if need be.

Mind you, saying that there is also the cost of flights, shipping house contents and things like buying a car, insuring it etc.

I'd plan out what you would like to live on for 6 months and then work from there. If you feel you could manage on less then go for it.

Bring as much as you can is my view on this we didnt bring alot of money just a massive will to succeed...we knew where we were coming from and what we were coming to...

We also knew that is was going to be hard work....we hit the ground running and we have probably only just slowed down to a jog...thats after over 2 years.

If you want it you can pretty much achieve it out here....

Use this place lots there are allsorts of friendly and not so friendly ( lol ) people on here all with hints, tips, ideas and advice on allsorts of matters in relation to how to do it....enjoy your time with us...and dnt forget there is always someone here to offer advice....

HG

Guest guest3462

We brought $18,000 with us, but we paid for our first months rent and rental bond in advance while still in the UK, so that added nearly $3000. We shipped next to nothing out as far as household goods are concerned so had to buy everything, which included 4 sofas, fridge freezer, washer, tvs, beds for the kids (we had a double bed given!!) dining table and chairs and plates pots and pans etc. Ikea was a godsend in the early days and we haggled with Harvey Norman and got a hefty discount for buying lots of stuff (seems to be the way forward here) We also bought 2 second hand cars, which almost 2 years on are still in great nick and doing a grand job of getting us around!

We didnt have loads of spare cash, in fact we were skint, but we were comfortable and our friends made sure we always had a beer/wine in our hands!!

It has taken us to this point to just about start getting staright, and we still have quite a way to go. But, don't worry about the money, go with the flow and it'll all drop into place in time.

Hi,

We just arrived over 2 weeks ago with £6,000 and we have managed to secure a rental, bought a car and all the other little outgoings you'll find you have to pay out on. If you have jobs to come to I would say go for it and if you have PR visa even better as you are entitled to Famiy Assistance and Rent Assistance.

I admit that initial £6,000 has all gone and we have the last of our money (£4000) which we have just transferred over but are hoping not to touch since OH is earning. We were really worried about how little we were coming out with but it can be done. Like HEAPS GOOD said you just have to hit the ground running which we did and are still doing :biglaugh: but life is good or should I say Heaps Good!! ;).

Jo x

we came in June with 2 children with $13,000 have been near skint a fair few times but we are getting by bought a car, renting a house for 12 months - dont have much in it but we have the basics. I think anything is possible here obviously money helps but hey the best things in life are free, we often go on the beach (when not raining):) good luck

Guest mandy.s

Hi Everyonr ,

thanks so much for the info this has really helped and put things into perspective

it has givin me a good idea of what we will need,

thanks again to you all

Guest guest4504

I tip my hat off to those who posted on this, shows real inspirational and motivation attitude. I admit its not a UK bankers salary, but they did make it on those funds and well done on their drive. We are not loaded up to the hills with money but will give it a try anyway, I just hope im successful like yourselfs. Its nice to see a post with responses like this, rather than a start of " We are ONLY coming with £150,000, will we survive ?" ....

Good responses, and thanks for info.

WE came with 50K but put 30K on land straight away bought a car 14K straight away(great car going strong) husband got job in 2 months been living month to month i been working since 4 months in. Been here 3 years we now have got it together and been back to uk for family stuff, not rich but OK and never claimed anything off centrelink not long got PR so looking into it. saying that now got enough seats for us to sit on , We looked like the simpsons for 2.5 years. you make do with what you got and kids are really adaptable. good luck

All I would suggest is to put some money aside that you don't touch to cover flights back to the UK if there is an emergency. I remember reading a post from someone on here a while ago who was desperately unhappy and really wanted to go back, but didn't have the money (she turned things around and made a go of it in the end, a really inspiring story) but also if there is an emergency you don't want to be in a position of not being able to make the choice.

really good advice to be able to afford flights back even for 1 my husband been back twice in a year plus the time we all went back. would not change it for the world . plan for the unexpected