Does affect us?

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

Can anyone help? Just before we left we tried to pay our Gas bill.

However, british gas didnt seem to have a record and as we were leaving that day had not a way to catch up with us.

However, im worried it will be easy and i kinda feel i should do the right thing and contact them.

Does it affect us now we are here with credit rating etc?

Guest nicandchris

Hi a similar thing happened to me years ago, their systems were down foe the gas and elec with british gas so couldnt pay and it was only a couple of pounds. I tried from aussie and systems still down but gave them my aus address so i could sort it out but never heard anything and comp forgot about it (i had given them the full pic of going to aus for a year). Months later i got a letter through from the uk re bailiffs and i was comp shocked 'said they would recover from my mum dont know how they got her address' i rang them up and tried to explain that i had tried to pay a couple of

times bit they were horrid and wouldnt listen. I got my mum to sort it out in the end but we were both upset by their attitude when id tried to be honest about it from the beginning. Ive sworn never to use them again. Overall just trying to say that i wouldnt trust them and try and pay it one way or another.

Guest mark&rachel

thats what i thought. I dont have any family over there but my luck seems to catch up with me and id probably get nicked if i ever go back.

I just tried to ring them and they said they had no record of me! I know that isnt true but said i would contact them on monday again. If its still no then happy days!!!

Guest guest4504
Hi a similar thing happened to me years ago, their systems were down foe the gas and elec with british gas so couldnt pay and it was only a couple of pounds. I tried from aussie and systems still down but gave them my aus address so i could sort it out but never heard anything and comp forgot about it (i had given them the full pic of going to aus for a year). Months later i got a letter through from the uk re bailiffs and i was comp shocked 'said they would recover from my mum dont know how they got her address' i rang them up and tried to explain that i had tried to pay a couple of

times bit they were horrid and wouldnt listen. I got my mum to sort it out in the end but we were both upset by their attitude when id tried to be honest about it from the beginning. Ive sworn never to use them again. Overall just trying to say that i wouldnt trust them and try and pay it one way or another.

They could not recover from your parent (s) at all, not their debt ( unless the bill were for that addres ). I know I use to work for Lombards recovery some time ago. ( Boo Boo Boo ) Anyway, you are spot on its good to settle down a debt the best way a person can. Although it would be written off after 5 years.

I know that someone on a forum has rattled up some debt through large stores to purchase Fridge, washer ,dryer , Dishwasher ... etc etc, and laughed. Gave the impresion that they never intended to pay ( had to read between the line on that post ). However, they will be caught in the end im sure.

Guest nicandchris

Maybe you could leave an address for them to forward it to 'should they find you' because as experienced even if they cant find you now they would knowing sods law eventually do so! Lots of UK companies now seem to have lots of different sites all over the place so dont know what their own arses are doing at the best of time! x

I think you should register something with them in writing and ask them to respond. People always are more careful with their response to you when it is in writing because then the finger can be pointed at them. So they will go the extra mile to check their records. Telstra here in Adelaide tried to charge me for something which wasn't mine. I tried calling them but the staff were not very helpful so I sent a detailed email instead, and they replied advising that they hadn't performed very well and that they would withdraw the bill. I got another bill and so I just sent them a copy of the email with the relevant bits highlighted. They sent another bill and I did the same thing again. I then ignored the bills and didn't get any more. The beauty of sending something in writing is that you don't have keep repeating it and get all upset about it again. You just point to the letter. It worked for me and I felt good about it cause I didn't feel like I wasted my time on the phone, waiting, waiting, waiting.

probably best to send an email and state you would like to pay the amount owed and give them your new adderess. keep a copy of email and maybe send a c/c to the gas suplier ombusman or whatever they are! that way if anything happens, you have proof that you were wiling to pay the bill and have not acted dishonestly. after that, forget about it!