Arriving on 176 PR visa...rental assistance?

Guest tpgc03

Guest tpgc03

Hi all,

Just read a post on the 'how much to bring over' thread and we were wondering what the family (is this similar to working families and child tax credits in UK?) and the rental assistance were?

We are a family of 4, with 2 kids. Ali, my wife, will be working at Flinders when we arrive and I'll be settling us in and getting the kids into School and Kindy, so I won't be in a position to work initially but will be looking to pick up some temporary relief work(Primary School Teacher) after the settling in period.

Does anyone know if we will we be eligible for the family and the rental assistance?

Thanks

I think you are entitled if only one of you is working and on an average wage, you will get family tax benefit (fam allowance) from the second you step off the plane so claim as soon as you can as it can take up to 4 weeks before you get anything, but they will back date to the initial phonecall, i'ts also means tested and they will ask for an estimate of your yearly pay, which you can alter any time your circumstances change, if you are entitled to rent assistance it will be paid with your tax benefit every fortnight. You will need to contact Centrelink by phone to get the ball rolling.

Hi Nick,

we arrived this week on a 175 visa. Given some information when we registered with medicare about family assistance which had this website information which might be of use. www.familyassist.gov.au

You do need your tax file number to register so do that as soon as you can

good luck with your move

Karen