Buying property

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

My agent advised us that we can't buy a property in SA until we've lived there for 6 months (we'd most likely rent anyway..but I just felt that was an odd ruling)

She also told us we can't start up our own business until we're permanent residents. I might add we've never ran our own business, but feel this new life might be the ideal opportunity to try.

Can anyone let me know if the agents advice is indeed correct?

thanks guys.

Carol Ann

(Started the process less than a week ago: SIR SA Sponsered

Guest dglamoore

Hi Carol Ann

welcome to the site!

We are going on an SIR visa and will be relocating our business from the UK in Adelaide - one of the terms of the SIR is that you work at least 35 hours per week for 12 months but this can be in a self employed basis. We even stated on our SA sponsorship that we would be setting up a business rather than seeking employment.

You will also be able to buy a house if you chose too straight away with FIRB approval - you will not however qualify for the $7000 home buyers grant.

What sort of business are you hoping to get into?

Lisa :D

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann

welcome to the site!

We are going on an SIR visa and will be relocating our business from the UK in Adelaide - one of the terms of the SIR is that you work at least 35 hours per week for 12 months but this can be in a self employed basis. We even stated on our SA sponsorship that we would be setting up a business rather than seeking employment.

You will also be able to buy a house if you chose too straight away with FIRB approval - you will not however qualify for the $7000 home buyers grant.

What sort of business are you hoping to get into?

Lisa :D

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I didn't even know there was a "home buyers grant"..I'll need to look into that. Think my head is going to explode with the amount of info. I'm trying to absorb..lol.

I have a few ideas. A B & B would be great. That would give my husband something to do :-). I would also like to dabble in the "wedding video" market but with the possibility of expanding into a fully fledged video production company as I have experience in corporate video. Also buying a property with a view to renting. Not all three of these..gosh..we'd be little puddles on the floor in no time.

We're going on a reccie in July. I'll have a look at the B & B options when I'm there.

Possibly it's ok for you guys to set up as you already have a business in UK. Still not sure if we can set up having never ran a business :-(

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Good luck with the reccie!! We get to Adelaide at the end of April so now running around getting everything sorted before we leave :roll:

Lisa :lol:

Oooooo..how exciting! that'll be me someday ..(sigh). Seems a long way off.

I asked hubbie the other day "why do you want to go"..he replied "because you want to go some much"..mmmm...wasn't really the answer I was looking for. I feel I'm the driving force. Hopefully the trip in July will show him the lifestyle and we'll all be singing from the same hymn sheet.

Carol Ann :-)

Guest ladybird

Hiya,

I know how you feel i've been the driving force so far and hubby has let me get on and sort everything for our reccie. He's just been reserved i think and will wait and see what he thinks when we go on our reccie on thurs!!! Can't believe this time next week we'll be there :shock:

But will we like it???!!!! :? :?

Guest rockpool crab

Hi ladybird,

You make me feel better.

How long you going on your reccie. Will it be your whole holiday? or you gadding about Oz?

Lucky you..wish it was July!..gosh it's so easy to wish your life away on here.

Carol Ann

Hi Caron Ann

We are going on our recci on April and have just been approved a mortgage from ANZ Bank. We are looking for a house or land and then build our house for when we finally go later this year.

The mortgage process was quite easy really as they base the amount to borrow on your income in the UK (OK provided you earn enough when you get to Aust :shock: ) the only down side is that we wont qualify for the first home grant, Maybe your agent means that you need to get a credit rating in Australia before you can buy using a mortgage :? :? as we have been told there is no problem with us buying using this route.

Take care

Kim

Guest Guest75
Hi there,

My agent advised us that we can't buy a property in SA until we've lived there for 6 months (we'd most likely rent anyway..but I just felt that was an odd ruling)

She also told us we can't start up our own business until we're permanent residents. I might add we've never ran our own business, but feel this new life might be the ideal opportunity to try.

Can anyone let me know if the agents advice is indeed correct?

thanks guys.

Carol Ann

(Started the process less than a week ago: SIR SA Sponsered

I know that Betty (Liz) will have a better idea.

But they came on a SIR visa and bought a house in about 3 days.

We came on a permanent visa and bought our house between reccie trips here.We HAD to go into business ASAP.

Guest betty22

Hi,

The SIR visa has very few restrictions when you really look into it.

Yes you can buy a house when you want, as Tyke says we did this in 3 days. You have to get FIRB approval but you just have that written into the contract(it can take upto 28 days but ours only took one week)

Yes you can buy a second house but it has to be Brand New.

Yes you can set up your own business all you need to do is apply for a ABN (australian business number)

and away you go.

Don't be put off by what an agent says. A lot of agents know very little about the SIR visa.

If you need any more specific info just ask

Liz

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there Liz,

you have no idea how happy that statement makes me. We can set up our own business. I'll start looking into it more then. I hoping to buy some land, have an architect draw up plans for a B & B, building it and then that's my husbands job basically. I'll go out and work :-(

It's miles away and zillions of research needing done, running a B & B might not even be that profitable. But I did think, if we set this up in his name, and I do still fulfil the SIR 495 criteria then surely it's safe to do this.

Ooo..love it when a plan comes together :-)

Thanks for the advice

Carol Ann

• 2 months later...
Guest lizzydripping

Hi there

we are hoping to buy a house on our reccie trip later this year rather tahn rent for 6 months [partly because of our pets - more difficult to rent - and also as we would of been renting in the UK for a year and want/need to get back to owning our own place again. any info on mortgae companies to go for/ areas to look at etc please let us know. thanks

visa 136 modl :D

positive skills assessment on 5th march 2007

visa submitted on 19th march - along with police checks

hoping to have a case officer asap!