one week to go, car advice please :)

Guest markjl

Hey Guys

Im leaving the UK in 2 days and im going to be looking for a car in the first week or 2. Im hoping to pick yr brains and ask how it works with insurance and Uk driving licenses, Also if anyone could recommend a good place to get a nice cheap 2nd hand run around that would be GREAT

as i understand it a UK driving license is valid for 3 months in SA but how does it work when u buy a car what do u need? (MOT, ROAD TAX, CAR tax?)

Any and all advice very welcome:o

Guest WhatNow?

No MOT here, so don't have to worry about that. I negotiated 6 months Rego (Road Tax) with my purchase so the car was ready to drive when picked up. I understand (and no doubt others with more experience will correct me if I am wrong) that you get a certain amount of grace if the car has unexpired registration time in which to change it to your name. Third party insurance comes with the Rego but it is recommended that you get comprehensive cover in addition (my car was written off in an accident 6 months into the Rego and I got the full replacement cost from the RAA). This you can arrange over the phone just like in the Uk if you get the relevant details of your car from the seller in advance. You can drive legally for 3 months on your UK licence but it makes life easier if you have a local licence as it works as photo id for most things rather than carrying your passport everywhere. Just take your Uk licence and proof of an Aussie address to any Service SA centre in phone book). Takes a few minutes and provided there are no medical issues you will usually walk out with your new licence in your hand.

Easy and 'no dramas'

Guest Janine3979

Hiya,

We just got a cheap 2nd hand car from Bob Smith at getcarsdirect on Salisbury Highway tel; 0407073003. The car is fantasic, in immaculate condition and we managed to haggle quite a bit off the price.

My husband had a long chat to him etc about our situation and think thats why he managed to get the price down so much, but he did say if we know people off PIA who are in similar situations tell the to pop down and he'll give them a good deal.

Good Luck and if you need any help let us know

Guest Nicky&Andy

weve been renting a car since we arrived, pretty cheap $220 per week discounts for longer

car auctions are good , usually government run. just picked up a car from there, brilliant fun, barbi included, you can also buy any day before auction if you like the reserve on it, (luckily ours came down on reserve)

pm me for details if you want

Thanks for your replies!

So just to confirm if i get a car with "rego" road tax then that counts as 3rd party insurance? Do you have to go to a mechanic to get the Rego?

Also thanks i will pop down to that place, with out trying to be to nosey can i ask how much you got your car for?

I think the renting although a good option, is not for us we arent into cars and as long as it runs and has A/C im happy :)

Guest WhatNow?

It's all done automatically as part of the process of registering the vehicle. You give some information such as make, model, the number of cylinders etc. You get a windscreen sticker with similar details to your RFL in the UK but it is also your proof of basic insurance. If you are buying from a dealer you can ask him to do it for you. Here is the link that explains a bit more. Once registered in your name you can renew online and your third party insurance is renewed at the same time.

All other vehicle registration fees - Government of South Australia

'Service SA' isn't anything to do with mechanics - it is an office where things like driving licences and vehicle registrations are dealt with.

Thanks for your replies!

So just to confirm if i get a car with "rego" road tax then that counts as 3rd party insurance? Do you have to go to a mechanic to get the Rego?

Also thanks i will pop down to that place, with out trying to be to nosey can i ask how much you got your car for?

I think the renting although a good option, is not for us we arent into cars and as long as it runs and has A/C im happy :)

Depending on where you are going to settle....there is a rego office down in Christies Beach.....they send you a reminder in the post...you take the paperwork down to the rego office...and get it sorted.

We use a mechanic off here called MD Auto, very good very reliable, good price and a good bloke....they also do rental cars...

Here is there site...

MD Auto Care - Google Maps

HG

Hi there

I bought my car a week after we arrived, 5 weeks ago. There are plenty of choices. If you go to carsales.com.au, you could choose which car you want, and the price. I bought my Ford Laser sedan 2000 auto, for 7000 dollars, with the seller paid for 3 months rego. I think the price is comparable between one and another. So if have found your car, go to the dealer, and haggle. Usually it will come down 1 - 2 k depending on the car. Apart from rego, you still need to pay for stamp duty, I think it is about 3-4 % from the value of the purchase.

Regards

Guest Nomoreengland

You may possibly be in for a shock when you arrive looking for a "cheap car". This does not exist in Australia.

For example, an old cheap car is one thats about 20 years old and you still pay about 1,500 pounds for it. A little bit different than paying 250 quid for one back in the UK.

Guest sotonian
Thanks for your replies!

not sure if you know but the 3rd party insurance with your rego is onle 3rd party bodily not property, so if you damage another car or property you'll have to pay

3rd party property will cost extra from an insurance company

You may possibly be in for a shock when you arrive looking for a "cheap car". This does not exist in Australia.

For example, an old cheap car is one thats about 20 years old and you still pay about 1,500 pounds for it. A little bit different than paying 250 quid for one back in the UK.

Does work the same further down the line though - we recently traded a car in for a new one, and the price we were offered for the old one was much higher than we expected, and higher than we'd have been offered for something similar in the UK.