Cost of living

Guest JamesP

Hi gang,

hope all's good down there? Getting cold here in blighty now!

i am looking to have a budget of $5000AUD when i come over next year on my whv. This is to keep me going just until i get to Adelaide and start my 6 months or so of work. My question is, how does the cost of living in AUS compare to the UK?

I mean everything..food,travel,phone, anything you can think of.

I would like an idea, so i can increase my budget if i have to.

Help and advice always appreciated.

Jim :D

Hi there

I think your 5000 dollar AUD will last you for about 2 months, depending on your lifestyle. We have been here for 2 months now. When I was in the UK, I always thought that Australia could not be more expensive compare to London where I lived. But here now, I think some of the prices (like bread, egg, drink (bottled water), fish, and others are the same if not more expensive. So if you are not from London, please be prepared to be little bit shocked, especially when you first arrive when you don't know the best place to buy things.

regards

wijaya

Guest Mark Xpnsit

Since I have been in Australia things have def got more expensive, but you can still get by on less. I think on a WHV and you are prepared to use budget accom and eat cheaply you will last longer than 2 months on $5k.

Will you be travelling around or staying on one place before Adelaide?

There are some useful posts if you do a search here and on the pomsinoz forum

Cheers, Mark

Since I have been in Australia things have def got more expensive, but you can still get by on less. I think on a WHV and you are prepared to use budget accom and eat cheaply you will last longer than 2 months on $5k.

Will you be travelling around or staying on one place before Adelaide?

There are some useful posts if you do a search here and on the pomsinoz forum

Cheers, Mark

Mark,

i am seeing relatives in Wollongong and Sydney first, before travelling down to Adelaide. What i do inbetween depends on finances. I am contactin several employers before flying over to see if i can get work, rather than looking for it whilst i am out there. Using the WHV as a "try before you buy" sort of deal. I know NSW is lovely, but have not been to SA before, so cannot wait :D

what do you do for work is the key question?

Flat for first month cost about $1500

phone $60

food for week $100 (for one)

rent a car ($230)per week

ive been here 2 weeks and ive spend about $1400 and partner has spent about $1300 but we have both got jobs now and because of the exchange rate they are better paid than our UK ones. i think 5k will do you fine as long as you can get a job and u easy until u get one. Some things here are cheaper (petrol) some more expensive (food). I come from berkshire which is expensive anyway if you come from someone up north or in scotland think you might find the prices really expensive

I am a machinery operative by trade. Qualified to drive Wheeled Loading Shovels and Telescopic Handler equipment. So probably looking at mining and construction. I currently work on Immingham Docks in a massive coal yard.

I am also a qaulfied I.T technician, so thats another option.