opening bank acc, what documents needed?

Hazel M

Well my plan was to open Australian bank accounts here and then activate over there on arrival.... but just a thought im wondering if it may well be easier / less paperwork to provide to open an account there.

I think I read somewhere that if I open an account at branch within the 1st few days that the only paperwork they need specifically from us is our passports. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case please? Just thinking that'll be easier than having to get certified copies of our passsports plus utility bills, address confirmation etc etc that are needed to open the acc whilst still here. Saves me paying for people to certify yet more bits and bobs. Ever the skinflint!!!!!

thanks

Hazel.

Guest Mitchell

Hiya. I opened my Westpac account in London with a passport and birth certificate. I verified my I'd with my passport when I got here. Was all very easy but did require a trip to London.