Centrelink

LisaWebster87

Me and my mum have been concerned about money for coming over as we wont be going straight into work, now we are both Australian citizens however i have never lived their and mum left when she was 3.

does that change our entitlement to receive centrelink when applying for work? do they help you find work or is it similar to job seeker allowance here... i really am reluctant to take benifitts however the extra money would help us to settle in.

Any advice?

x

As a citizen you are entitled to benefits from day one. Centrelink will refer you to a Jobs Services Australia Provider as part of the condition of you getting unemployment benefit. They classify you according to need and you receive help according to that need. If you speak good English and have been employed in the last year and have no medical problems, you will probably only get some basic help with job searching. To be honest it is all about persistence. Apply for as many jobs as you can, take your resume (CV) into lots of places then accept the first job you are offered as it is much easier to find another job when you are already employed.

Before you arrive arrange with some ex employers to provide a reference for you by email and bring a recent UK Police check with you. Many employers here ask for Police checks and drug and alcohol tests. Don't be shocked by this, it is common practice. Holdens for example ask for this and repeat the tests during employment.

Good luck.

i have police checks done i also have an australian passport it all helps i guess, my work at the moment do alcohol and drug tests so that doesnt bother me too much, i made the mistake of applying for tons of jobs while i am here in the hope i can get something for arrivng, however the recruitment proceses across there seems to be a lot quicker and they all told me to apply when i arrive. probably gunna be mainly applying for call centre work across there, somewhere i can work my way up from the bottom, and yeah even a factory would do to pay the bills while i start out.

is the call centres in adelaide good pay? x

i have police checks done i also have an australian passport it all helps i guess, my work at the moment do alcohol and drug tests so that doesnt bother me too much, i made the mistake of applying for tons of jobs while i am here in the hope i can get something for arrivng, however the recruitment proceses across there seems to be a lot quicker and they all told me to apply when i arrive. probably gunna be mainly applying for call centre work across there, somewhere i can work my way up from the bottom, and yeah even a factory would do to pay the bills while i start out.

is the call centres in adelaide good pay? x

The RAA (like the RAC) is great pay for call centre work. It is 'soft' calling too - ie the customer calls the RAA to join or for an insurance quote. So no cold calling. Some other places are a bit dodgy. I can't name them on here but they pay for the minutes you are on the phone - so you could work 8 hours a day and only get paid for 5 hours allowing for admin time. Avoid this sort of work like the plague!

• 1 year later...
Guest chris 123

there is a website called dspoverseas there is a lot of good reading there and you can join its a forum, but im sorry i do think you have to be living in aus for so long to be called a reserdent and get centrelink pay, but thats all in that web sight chris.

No, that's not right Chris, we got centrelink from Day 1 and I am not a citizen but my DH is Australian and I was here on a spouse visa with permanent residence. Basically when you get here Lisa you need to visit centrelink (experience the Experience!) and go through it all with them.