How much per month?

Guest Bokkiegirl

Guest Bokkiegirl

Hi all,

I am trying to budget (if at all possible) what our monthly expenses would be..

Say our rent is +-$350 p/w (gosh I really hope not more) for 3bd

How much more or less would we need a month if we are 4 (2 small kiddies, 1 going to school 1 in daycare if needed - should I have to work as well)

We will buy a small car cash and pay the yearly tax

Our girl will be going to government school

We will need phones and internet, will pay insurance on households and life..

What else and what can I expect to need roughly per month? $5000? Is that even enough or do we need more?

Please help :)

Guest guest7049
Hi all,

I am trying to budget (if at all possible) what our monthly expenses would be..

Say our rent is +-$350 p/w (gosh I really hope not more) for 3bd

How much more or less would we need a month if we are 4 (2 small kiddies, 1 going to school 1 in daycare if needed - should I have to work as well)

We will buy a small car cash and pay the yearly tax

Our girl will be going to government school

We will need phones and internet, will pay insurance on households and life..

What else and what can I expect to need roughly per month? $5000? Is that even enough or do we need more?

Please help :)

Hi we're not in Oz yet but have researched the cost of living and based on what people out there have told me our monthly outgoings are going to be around $5500 this is based on rent at $400 a week and includes childcare for 3 kids (including 50% rebate). This is based on every cost we can think of excluding travel to work.

Hope this helps a little.

Baz

Hi we're not in Oz yet but have researched the cost of living and based on what people out there have told me our monthly outgoings are going to be around $5500 this is based on rent at $400 a week and includes childcare for 3 kids (including 50% rebate). This is based on every cost we can think of excluding travel to work.

Hope this helps a little.

Baz

Where did you get those figures from?

seems very high....but if you are both working then very affordable...

HG

Guest guest7049
Where did you get those figures from?

seems very high....but if you are both working then very affordable...

HG

We will both be working there based on what people have told me they pay per month I'll see if I can put up the break down..............will be delighted if you think I've over estimated!

We will both be working there based on what people have told me they pay per month I'll see if I can put up the break down..............will be delighted if you think I've over estimated!

We have just moved into our new built home...but our last ga was $120...and from our old rental i think the leccy was around.....$300 max....will let you know more when we get our new stuff in.......

HG

Guest guest7049

This based on what people have told me there expenses are for instance $600 a year car insurance just divided it by 12 to get the monthly figure, I think I've covered most things except any school fees, sky TV and commuting to work. please feel free to let me know if I've missed anything out.

Rent $1733

House contents ins $125

Broadband and phone $100

Mobile phone $30

Gas $68

Electric $150

Car Ins $50

Water $68

Council Tax $125

Food $1408

Childcare $1395

Petrol $216 (tank of fuel a week @ $50)

Car tax $50

Guest cornish Busdriver

This is what me and the EX (yes i still live with the bloody EX) Pays.

$682 pw mortgage.

$200 pw put back for bills and covers them happily.

$250 pw shopping

$100 pm for both mobiles

$60 pw fuel for my car

$30 pw smokes for me

$100 pw on general crap.

I take home roughly between $1100.00 to $1200.00 pw as a bus driver and she takes home around $1400.00 as a Theater Nurse if thats any use to you.

So i think about 5K pm is about average so not to worry

This is what me and the EX (yes i still live with the bloody EX) Pays.

$682 pw mortgage.

$200 pw put back for bills and covers them happily.

$250 pw shopping

$100 pm for both mobiles

$60 pw fuel for my car

$30 pw smokes for me

$100 pw on general crap.

I take home roughly between $1100.00 to $1200.00 pw as a bus driver and she takes home around $1400.00 as a Theater Nurse if thats any use to you.

So i think about 5K pm is about average so not to worry

Bloody hell.....

HG

This based on what people have told me there expenses are for instance $600 a year car insurance just divided it by 12 to get the monthly figure, I think I've covered most things except any school fees, sky TV and commuting to work. please feel free to let me know if I've missed anything out.

Rent $1733

House contents ins $125

Broadband and phone $100

Mobile phone $30

Gas $68

Electric $150

Car Ins $50

Water $68

Council Tax $125

Food $1408

Childcare $1395

Petrol $216 (tank of fuel a week @ $50)

Car tax $50

I've just paid around $300 for house contents insurance (annual) with AAMI, so if you were paying $125 a month then you would be covering a lot of stuff!!

You don't usually pay rates (council tax) if you are renting - we don't even pay anything for water but it depends on the landlord.

We pay $90 a month Foxtel (sky) - all packages with sky plus (IQ) but not movies

Guest guest7049

Thanks for all the replies sounds like I'm not a million miles away, the house contents is just based on what someone told me they were paying........suppose it's better to over estimate a bit.

Baz

@the harringtons

The food bill looks very high to me. I feed two hungry adults on about $100 a week (and I'm not one to scrimp on quality). I'm sure your two little kids won't be eating a grand worth of food between them...

re contents insurance, presumably you've already added up how much your stuff is worth for shipping insurance, just use that number plus whatever you're wanting to buy over here, and plug it into the insurance websites for a quote.

Guest dittydotty1

hi we pay 320/pw for a 4 bedroom with master ensuite,

however if you are willing to forego the ensuite and extra bedroom you can get much cheaper rentals, and when you consider even if you only save $20 per week over a month its $80 which is better in your pocket

.Bear in mind you are only renting this not your permanent home and if you can save your pennies it will give you more when you find somewhere to buy, we had to keep reminding ourselves of this, not looking for our dream home just our it will do for now home, its easy to get carried away and pay way more than you really need to

. also if you are coming on PR you will get centrelink payments for kids and we even get a little rent assistance despite hubby being in a fairly well paid job, though i am not working yet.

hope this helps

amanda

Guest guest7049
@the harringtons

The food bill looks very high to me. I feed two hungry adults on about $100 a week (and I'm not one to scrimp on quality). I'm sure your two little kids won't be eating a grand worth of food between them...

re contents insurance, presumably you've already added up how much your stuff is worth for shipping insurance, just use that number plus whatever you're wanting to buy over here, and plug it into the insurance websites for a quote.

Most people with families have told us they spend roughly $250 a week on food so I've added a little bit more as we do eat well in the UK my kids have expensive tastes for things like blueberries, strawberries etc which cost a lot here.

The contents insurance is again based on what we've been told people pay for an average 3/4 bed house. Thanks for the tip will do that for insurance quotes.

Guest guest7049
hi we pay 320/pw for a 4 bedroom with master ensuite,

however if you are willing to forego the ensuite and extra bedroom you can get much cheaper rentals, and when you consider even if you only save $20 per week over a month its $80 which is better in your pocket

.Bear in mind you are only renting this not your permanent home and if you can save your pennies it will give you more when you find somewhere to buy, we had to keep reminding ourselves of this, not looking for our dream home just our it will do for now home, its easy to get carried away and pay way more than you really need to

. also if you are coming on PR you will get centrelink payments for kids and we even get a little rent assistance despite hubby being in a fairly well paid job, though i am not working yet.

hope this helps

amanda

We'll be more than happy to rent for less than $400 a week thats just a rough figure, to be honest we are starting to see a lot of property we like for between $300-400 on the real estate websites.

Our big outlay will be childcare as we'll both hopefully be working we have kids aged 6 (full time school so just after school care needed) 3 (kindy/full time day care) and 1 (full time day care) I've factored in a 50% reduction with CBR.............will be much better off when they all get to school age LOL

Guest shella_n

Hi

I see youve had lots of figures but in case it helps heres what we pay for family of 4

Food $250 per week

School fees $300 per year

Child Care $67 per day

Kindy $60 per term

OSCH $40 a day/ $20 for before & after school

Petrol $50 a week (each car)

Car Tax $600 per year (each car)

Rent $350

Swimming lessons $18 per child per week

Gas & Electric - about $400 per quarter

Internet $80 per month

Mobile Phone $30 each phone per month

Gymnastic lessons about $80 a term

Hope some of that helps.

Michelle

Guest guest7049
Hi

I see youve had lots of figures but in case it helps heres what we pay for family of 4

Food $250 per week

School fees $300 per year

Child Care $67 per day

Kindy $60 per term

OSCH $40 a day/ $20 for before & after school

Petrol $50 a week (each car)

Car Tax $600 per year (each car)

Rent $350

Swimming lessons $18 per child per week

Gas & Electric - about $400 per quarter

Internet $80 per month

Mobile Phone $30 each phone per month

Gymnastic lessons about $80 a term

Hope some of that helps.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle appreciated.

Guest shella_n
Michelle what childcare do you have for your 3 year old I've heard kindy can start a bit later in Oz?

Hi

Shes just turned 4 recently actually. She goes to an ABC childcare. She is just starting kindy next week (they cant start until they are 4 here) but the childcare centre will be taking her and picking her up from Kindy - so I have to pay a full days child care (even though shes not there for 3 hours of it) and also pay the Kindy fees. Its not like that everywhere though its cause of the stupid rules at our kindy and they dont let them do a whole day, only a morning or an afternoon.

Feel free to pm me with any queries. I see you are looking at Port Noarlunga - we are seriously considering moving there when our lease is up - its lovely down there.

Michelle

Guest guest7049
Hi

Shes just turned 4 recently actually. She goes to an ABC childcare. She is just starting kindy next week (they cant start until they are 4 here) but the childcare centre will be taking her and picking her up from Kindy - so I have to pay a full days child care (even though shes not there for 3 hours of it) and also pay the Kindy fees. Its not like that everywhere though its cause of the stupid rules at our kindy and they dont let them do a whole day, only a morning or an afternoon.

Feel free to pm me with any queries. I see you are looking at Port Noarlunga - we are seriously considering moving there when our lease is up - its lovely down there.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle will be sending you PM