Car Finance

Guest Daisy Duke

Guest Daisy Duke

We are heading over to Adelaide this April and wanted to know how car finance works when you are coming from the UK, and have no Credit score in OZ?

Any help would be great!!

Andy/sare

Guest midwifeonthemove
We are heading over to Adelaide this April and wanted to know how car finance works when you are coming from the UK, and have no Credit score in OZ?

Any help would be great!!

Andy/sare

Hi there,

I haven't lived in Adelaide before but lived in Brisbane for years...I'd say you certainly would need employment history and some credit history in order to secure car finance....may be better off budgeting to buy a cheap set of wheels ,get some credit history behind you (Mobile phone etc) then apply for a car loan later on.

Tanya

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for that info. My friend told me about a website here in the UK that you can get a credit history from before we leave too, so will check that out.

Also, someone once told me there are three types of shark in Oz, one you find in the sea, one you find in the property field and the other involved in car sales :biglaugh:! Ha ha. I think we would rather buy a relatively new car given this, but will remain otherwise optimistic until proved wrong.

Thanks

Sara

Guest midwifeonthemove
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for that info. My friend told me about a website here in the UK that you can get a credit history from before we leave too, so will check that out.

Also, someone once told me there are three types of shark in Oz, one you find in the sea, one you find in the property field and the other involved in car sales :biglaugh:! Ha ha. I think we would rather buy a relatively new car given this, but will remain otherwise optimistic until proved wrong.

Thanks

Sara

:biglaugh: you are right about those 3 for sure! The crazy thing is..car's are so expensive there too...they want $10k + for some real old jalopys, that will barely make it off the car lot in one piece!!!

Tan x

Guest Daisy Duke

Ha ha! God, we may have to seriously rethink about shipping our car? It's a VW Golf and only 5 yrs old (wev'e had it from new). Ooh, a bit of food for thought? Am gonna put a post on here to get general consesus on if it's worth it or not.

Am not willing to spend all our hard earned cash on a flipping rusty tin can.

By the way, how have you found nursing out there? I'm a psychy nurse going out in April.

Sara

Have a look on here for cars VOLKSWAGEN GOLF Cars For Sale in South Australia - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au

Cars last a lot longer her not many with rust.If your car from the UK has any sign of rust they will make you fix it before they will let you register it along with any other things they find wrong with it. I dont think it is worth bringing over a car unless it is a top of the range car eg BMW and only a couple of years old.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest midwifeonthemove
Ha ha! God, we may have to seriously rethink about shipping our car? It's a VW Golf and only 5 yrs old (wev'e had it from new). Ooh, a bit of food for thought? Am gonna put a post on here to get general consesus on if it's worth it or not.

Am not willing to spend all our hard earned cash on a flipping rusty tin can.

By the way, how have you found nursing out there? I'm a psychy nurse going out in April.

Sara

Hi Sara,

We aren't there yet. Arrive 5th march, so still researching like you. I have worked as a nurse and midwife in Brisbane though and really like it.

How are your plans coming along?

Tan x

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Tanya,

We have decided to take our car! It's going to cost around 3,000, but thats ok.

I'm curious to know why you have chosen Adelaide over Brisbane? Bet your excited. I can't quite believe that we're actually going after all the preparation!!! Am nervous but excited too. Encouraging to hear you've enjoyed nursing out there...

Sara