child Benefits

Guest jenster1

Guest jenster1

Hi all - new to the site and still at thinking stage!! Would love to move to SA - just browsing through web and this site for more info.

What child benefits are you entitled to in australia? The job my husband would be doing would earn him around 50K aus dollars/year. I would'nt be able to work for the first year or two as my youngest child is only one. We have three children altogether.

Is 50K enough to live on in Australia? Looking at house prices for sale and rent and they all seem quite high!!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!! xo

Guest Jo&Phil

This site might help as it gives average earnings ......... it quotes SA average wages as close to AU$60,000 per year which might be contradicted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).... but at least it's a guideline. Average Australian Wage | Average Wages Australia

The ABS figures on average weekly income 6302.0 - Average Weekly Earnings, Australia, Aug 2009 will allow you to compare your proposed salary to the average.

i think that only permanent residents and citizens are (usually) eligible for state benefits though some state sponsorship visas may allow this ........ the benefit system is somewhat different to that in the UK (ie: I don't think child benefit as such exists but others on this site with kids will be better placed to confirm this)

You may find that your standard of living isn't particularly different from the UK if you intend to follow a similar career/occupation and only 1 of you is able to work in the short term; however in the longer term and comparing the quality of life, you may well feel that Australia is a better option for your family.