Living costs

Guest jenster1

Guest jenster1

Hi - just wondering what the living costs are like in Aussie??

We would be living in a 3 bed house (350/week) what other costs will there be and roughly how much e.g. electricity, water, rates?

Are there any other hidden costs? e.g. medical insurance and how much?

Basically how much for a 2 adult 3 child family to live a month incl rent and any other bills? we aren't extravagant!

Thanks

Guest cornish Busdriver

If ya renting you only pay a small percentage of the water and dont pay rates as that comes in with the rent.

Electric truly depends on how much you use, if you leave things on standby then it still eats it up.

Private medical insurance i aint got a clue on

Guest BurgessFamily

Electricity between $300 and $600 / qtr (depending on time of year + aircon)

Gas is about $150 / qtr (if you use it to cook, heat water etc...)

Petrol would range from $40 - $80 /wk

Rego (Car tax + pedestrian insurance) would be around $600 - $800 / yr

Car insurance ranges from $200 - $500 / year on average

Weekly metro ticket (10x trips on bus/tram/train) is around $30

Broadband would be around $40 / month

telephone + line rental would be around $30-40 / month

basic medical insurance (extras, pays for ambulance etc) about $30 for a family x4 / fortnight

school fees can range from a few hundred $ to a few thousand $ (for private) / yr / student (plus uniform costs)

childcare can be around $50 / day (though you do get help if you are not a high earner)

I think that broadband might be nearer $60...

I think our medical insurance is a fair bit higher than that too but there are sites where you can put in what you want to get out of medical insurance, and get quotes.

Water would also be payable, depends on the arrangement with your landlord, whether they are paying the first part and giving you an allowance per quarter.

Also depending on how long your consult is with a Dr, sometimes you end up paying a gap between Medicare's rate and the Dr's charges. Good idea to find a surgery that "bulk bills" for children, ie you don't have to pay for children.

Had a locum out the other night (arrived midnight) and it cost us nothing so that was brilliant.

Guest kangomik

Cannot get Adam, its near 100 for phone and internet.

Lecky is 240 or less.

I guess it depends where you are, and what you use. Once it gets too expensive you will stop using it.

It's the same with food and beer mate.

Car rego is based on the amount of cylinders, so be carefull when buying those V-8's:biglaugh:

The sun and beach are free.

Guest BurgessFamily

that's right, if you don't use air-con in summer or heating in winter (house temp can drop to single digits), use dial-up speed broadband, don't use australia post, buy a 1.0L car, skip all insurance (I forgot house insurance), stay away from foxtel, walk / cycle to work, don't exceed water limits, food shop across numerous markets/shops to get the best bargains, darn socks etc.., cook using 'free' park bbq's, and spend most family time at the free beaches, you could survive on very little. ;)

I remember earning my first 10 pound in the late 80's and thinking life couldn't get better. funny how your living expenses increase with your salary.

finally, we shouldn't worry too much as the carbon tax rebates will pay for everything (only high income earners, earning a kings ransom of $50k+ need worry) :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest BurgessFamily

back on a serious note....

you may notice hidden charges for setup / connections etc... this includes internet, phone, water, electricity & gas connection and/or meter readings (meter readings - which you may have to pay for all the time, which I don't remember having to do in the uk).

You've also got the rental bond (usually 6 weeks rent) plus 2 weeks rent in advance.

Guest BurgessFamily
Broadband would be around $40 / month

telephone + line rental would be around $30-40 / month

each to their own obviously..but i do this combined for $50 through adam so worth looking into huge diffrence i have unlimited broadband too :jiggy:

nice, can you tell me the name of the package you're on? like to have a look at it and swap if it's worth it. :D

Guest nicandchris

It would be great if there was an outline sheet like in the 'wanted down under' programme on the tv (yes we watched these) outlining the costs of everything (up to date of course)!

Never seen one though, weve been wondering a similar thing just to get an idea of day to day ruuning, heard that things are very similar to the uk, apart from petrol and second hand cars!

nic

Guest Adelaide_bound

I used coles online to do a food shop every week, which was helpful - most things were comparable in terms of being able to get, or a similar brand/thing.

The problem with any kind of list is things change so quickly, a few months seems to make a world of difference with various things.

Guest littlem

I have done a list of everything I can think of then as I find out roughly what others are paying/research etc I update it, I have an apx salary figure which I have underestimated to be on the safe side and I am increasing costs by 10% then hope that I am still in credit lol!

It's really hard without being there but it's my best guess.

Guest nicandchris

wow thats organised! Want to share? :cute:

I have done a list of everything I can think of then as I find out roughly what others are paying/research etc I update it, I have an apx salary figure which I have underestimated to be on the safe side and I am increasing costs by 10% then hope that I am still in credit lol!

It's really hard without being there but it's my best guess.

Guest jenster1

Hi thanks for your reply - looks like alot of bills!! My husband should be earning around 50,000 aus/yr is that enough to live on?? Don't want to be skint all the time!!

Guest BurgessFamily
Hi thanks for your reply - looks like alot of bills!! My husband should be earning around 50,000 aus/yr is that enough to live on?? Don't want to be skint all the time!!

Yes it SHOULD be enough to live on, though it's worth knowing that the average wage in South Australia is $70,000.

On $50,000/yr a PR with children would be entitled to a fair amount of Family Tax Benefit A + Family Tax Benefit B, in addition to Rent Assistance (should you be renting) and help towards childcare etc...

Guest BurgessFamily
basic medical insurance (extras, pays for ambulance etc) about $30 for a family x4 / fortnight

Who do you use for medical insurance i have been looking and not found any as cheap as that?

Mel

it's with medibank, and it's just the extra's cover so doesn't include hospital but does cover many other things. they have re-organised the packages since we took it out, but you can still have a look via the following link... Health Insurance | Extras Range - Medibank Private