• Moneycorp currency Transfers

onkaparinga hills
      36 times

Opening a BANK ACCOUNT

My wife and I are visiting Perth for a short trip in order to validate our PR visa in June and we were wondering if we could activate our NAB at a Perth Branch as we have already set the account up in the UK. We are looking to tick a few boxes before we make the move next year, is the possible or do we have to wait until we move next year?

Seaford Meadows, SA
      245 times
      you can open a bank account before you make the move, but you will be limited to making deposits only until you arrive and can go through a formal registration process at the relevant branch.

i would have a good look at the accounts on offer, specifically looking at atm costs, monthly admin charges (do you need a minimum deposit to avoid them each month? - these are often waived until you arrive in aus), and also charges for any standing orders or regular transfers (as some charge - the westpac charges $2 for every standing order / regular transfer transaction - so just transferring some of your wage into a savings account has to be done manually each week/fortnight to avoid these charges).

edit: so to answer, yes you can activate your bank account though this may mean fee's will start to apply after an initial window (like 6 months). you may therefore be better off leaving it as you should still be able to put deposits into it.
      Last edited by BurgessFamily; 19-03-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: i've woken up now