Cost of Living in SA

Misplaced

Ok I know this has probably been asked a thousand time so I am going to make it 1001.

My wife found a website that showed in Perth the cost of living their for a family of 4 with a dog worked out to needing a gross salary of $80,000 :shocked:

Is this about right or do you disagree? If you disagree what would you say is the avarage for Adelaide?

Thanks,

Craig

THis is a section that interests me from the above link...

<H3>Groceries

Our main weekly supermarket shopping costs around $200, then there's about another $50 per week spent on additional fresh fuit and veg.

Here are a few general observations, comparing prices in Perth to those in the UK;

• Beef and lamb is a bit cheaper than the UK.
  • Packaged goods like cereals and biscuits are relatively expensive.
  • A lot of fruit and veg is grown locally and the price fluctuates greatly depending on the level of supply.

Click here to see our comparison of prices from supermarkets in the UK and Perth.

Total food bill for our family of 4:

$250 per week. Specials

All supermarkets run weekly and daily specials - the price of individual items can be reduced substantially, sometimes by 30-50%. Therefore, if you are able to allocate enough time to the process, you should be able to reduce your weekly shopping bill significantly - I would guess by about 20% overall.

To view some current specials follow these links (if you need to enter a suburb, just enter the capital city you are heading for) :

Alcohol

Alcoholic drinks are not sold in supermarkets (at least not in WA) - they are generally sold in "bottle shops", which may be attached to a pub/hotel or may be a separate shop. Some of the supermarket chains do have bottle-shops as a side-line, located near the main store.

Note that every week retailers have specials which can reduce the price by 20% or more. Also, beer is much cheaper if you buy a "carton" of 24 cans/bottles or a "block" of 30 cans, rather than buying 4 or 6 at a time. Often there are savings to be had by buying wine by the case or half case. Wine casks (wine box in the UK), holding 2, 3 or 4 litres are also fairly popular and work out cheaper in general than bottled wine. Below are some prices of drinks advertised in specials catalogues that dropped through our door in March 2009.

• Emu Draft Beer (aussie mid-strength 3.5%) - 1 block (30 x 375ml) for $24 = $2.14 per litre
  • Full strength aussie beer (5%) - 1 carton (24 x 375ml) normally about $38, on special for $30 = $3.33 per litre
  • Imported premium beers (5%) - 1 carton (24 x 375ml) normally $55, on special for $45 = $5 per litre
  • Wine - red or white 4 Litre wine cask - 2 for $20 = $2.50 per litre
  • Wine - "reasonable" (opinion of author!) bottle of red or white - $10 on special (normally $13)
  • Spirits - 700mL bottles of gin, blended whiskey etc. - $30

Eating / Drinking Out

Here are a few indicative prices seen when eating and drinking out around Perth:

• Cup of coffee = $3.50, mug = $4.00
  • Full cooked breakfast = $19
  • MacDonalds burger/fries/drink meal - $6.95
  • Large pizza (pickup) - $5.95
  • Fillet steak main course with potatoes and a few veg = $30 - $35
  • Glass of wine in restaurant = $8
  • Bottled full-strength beer in pub or restaurant = $6 - $8
  • Pint of Guiness in a pub = $8 - $10

Estimated total for beer/wine, takeaways, eating out for our family of 4:

$100 per week.

</H3>THis is an interesting quote (for me at least!). I was wondering what other people spend on food. I agree that $80K for a family of 4 sounds a lot. But it depends on your mortgage I guess. Also I note they budget or allow $100 a week on eating out etc. We don't spend anything near that. If we did it would be a total one off for a special occasion most likely.

Was wondering what others spend on food - willing to share???

We are a family of 6, and yesterday I did my biggest shop (Coles) for a while, came home with basically everything we will need to eat over the week (we won't be getting takeaways, or buying food out so this should cover it - includes DH for work - oh except I forgot to get ham) for $220. And for me, that's about $50 more than usual and included treat type things. Also some of that is "freezer stuff" and therefore won't just be for the week. Did include a free range chicken and beef joint. Both of those may not happen this week, perhaps just one.

Guest guest4504
Cost of living :: Make The Move

A little biased I think. Also doesn't show the bigger picture.

Personally I think $80,000 is about right but then it all depends on your standard of living, how you live, where you shop, what house you live in etc.

Judi

80K !!:err: That would be some mortgage and a high standard of living though ? And I though 50K was reasonable ? Better tighten the wallet strings.

The lists that people highlight are good but one might be able to live on a tight budget with no frills when you have to but life is more than just bread and butter. There has to be wine, beer, movies, coffee with friends, eating out occasionally, buying gifts for people, getting your hair done, going to the movies, going on a short break, servicing the car and then life's little emergencies that we can't account for - like if loved ones get sick (including pets - that costs an arm and a leg these days too). These are all the things that give us joy and we can't put a price on those things and usually these are the extras that are never highlighted in websites but are necessary in our lives....I think anyway.

its the same here as the UK when it comes to spening what you have, you spend to your means. When we 1st came here we rented and Hubby was on less than 50k and we managed. We now both work own our house morg payments about the same as our rent and still seem no better off :biglaugh:.

We have lived on 50k and we never went without:skeptical:

Guest BurgessFamily

The average income is around $70,000 for South Australia (check out the ABS website). You can live on much less, especially if you are looking to be mortgage free.

Try keeping down expenses such as buying a small car (with a small engine), living in a small unit/house (needs less heating/cooling) , buying coles/woolies own brand food items, having basic 'naked' broadband (so you're not paying for a phone), shopping around & buying secondhand instead of new (making good use of garage sales), and going out less.

Guest BurgessFamily
We have lived on 50k and we never went without:skeptical:

We too have 'managed' on just $50,000 for a family of 4 (if only for a very short time), and can honestly say that we couldn't have done it for long. Even now, earning far more, we often live from week to week as bill after bill comes along. :)

I recon 80k a year is just about right It is getting expensive to live hear now don't think its going to get any cheaper. My sisters are here on holiday just now from the UK and find it expensive now compared to what it used to be when they have been here before.

Guest Guest5035
I My sisters are here on holiday just now from the UK and find it expensive now compared to what it used to be when they have been here before.

thats probably because of the exchange rate, uk to australa is 1.58 in todays rates, a year ago 1.80, 2 years ago 2.25 or thereabouts

stevo

Guest guest4504

80K pa, is that before or after deductions ? And regarding these figures what rough figure is used for mortgage , not asking for anyone's personal figures. I assume its similar to a rental figure of around $400-$450 per week.

80K pa, is that before or after deductions ? And regarding these figures what rough figure is used for mortgage , not asking for anyone's personal figures. I assume its similar to a rental figure of around $400-$450 per week.

I think you have to take the figures with a pinch of salt and do your own reseach.

Yes the rates and food will be about right but people are adding in the costs of entertainment and going out and that varies vastly from family to family. You will spend what you earn and if you dont earn it you cant spend it.

Completely agree about the spending what you earn, and choosing your own entertainment. By FAR one of the best birthday parties we had for our children was DS3's, at the end of Feb. Beach party - we took cake and drinks, everyone took a picnic, parking was free, had an amazing time. Didnt spend a thing. Only a small take home gift for each child and in terms of enjoyment was practically the highest enjoyment and lowest stress of any birthday party we've ever done. We kept it simple for financial reasons but also cos we'd just moved and so there wasn't a great deal we could put on for kids. So in that sense, being in SA and having that kind of opportunity right down to the free parking = amazing.

Living on a budget isn't all about sack cloth and ashes - there are some amazing things you can do for next to nothing, and can reserve the spending for other things as necessary. ;)

Guest Matey2

If you are on a temporary visa, remember to factor in that there is no state help. Those on lower incomes get help with 'child benefit' even if they don't qualify for centrelink benefits. They also qualify for education tax rebates and child care rebates etc, plus rent benefit. These small amounts can add up to quite a lot over a year.Plus if you are on a temp visa you have to pay international rates if your child goes to University. You will of course pay the full rate of tax.

So I would say temp visa holders need to earn more as there is no safety net at all.

I'd take that to be gross. For those who can claim centrelink, the amount you can receive can depend if there are two incomes or just one. If you earn $80k with one income, you get more than if you earn $80k with two incomes. If you rent, you can also receive rent assist.

Rental figures, well that will depend on where you live. $450/w will get you something pretty nice in Aldinga etc. but I am sure that would not get you as much in Brighton. Mortgage figures, well it depends on how much you borrow. Also, many lenders will lend you less depending on the number of children.

Probably the biggest difference for people arriving in recent times is that of the mortgage. Three to seven years ago, the rate of exchange was far higher so that helped. Also, many people were able to liquidate more through house sales so that they had far lower mortgages here. For many people, the mortgage is the one 'bill' they would like to get rid of.

Cooler

The survival instinct will kick in when you arrive here,it is only natural.We arrived here 2 and a half years ago with only one wage coming in,but we were not too bad financially,what we found is that if we wanted all the things we were used to having in the UK ,in our fairly comfortable lifestyle,then we would soon be in the poor house,and off back pretty sharpish!Almost all who arrive here learn to adapt to what they can afford really quick,out of necessity.Rest assured,you can live here on a shoestring short term if need be,there are plenty of no frills shops and second hand shops around,and they can service your requirements until you either get your feet under the table,or decide it may not be for you.All in all i think Adelaide offers the option to all who migrate here to either have a go,or decide it ain,t for you,and that can't be too bad.Best Luck to all coming out here. :D

Guest guest4504
I'd take that to be gross. For those who can claim centrelink, the amount you can receive can depend if there are two incomes or just one. If you earn $80k with one income, you get more than if you earn $80k with two incomes. If you rent, you can also receive rent assist.

Rental figures, well that will depend on where you live. $450/w will get you something pretty nice in Aldinga etc. but I am sure that would not get you as much in Brighton. Mortgage figures, well it depends on how much you borrow. Also, many lenders will lend you less depending on the number of children.

Probably the biggest difference for people arriving in recent times is that of the mortgage. Three to seven years ago, the rate of exchange was far higher so that helped. Also, many people were able to liquidate more through house sales so that they had far lower mortgages here. For many people, the mortgage is the one 'bill' they would like to get rid of.

Cooler

Thanks for answering that one. So for the title of this thread, taking away the mortgage payment would you think a family of 4 is not much if any worse off in Adelaide as they were in UK for cost of living ? Especially as I read so many claim they can do so much more for free in Oz. thanks