To buy or not to buy?

Guest jlr248

Guest jlr248

I sit here in not so sunny Uk, wondering if i will ever sell my house. Should I just bite the bullet and rent it for a year or 2 (who knows we could even make a little profit to put towards the ever increasing property rental / purchase costs in Oz). Also it seems that finally, after several years of rocketing house prices, maybe things are slowing down or levelling out in Adelaide. Is this going to be short lived or just the tip of the iceberg (crystal balls at the ready if you please). If we do decide to rent our house out in UK (out of necessity not choice) will the delay cause us never to get on the housing market in Oz as it continues to grow or could it be a blessing in disquise? An opportunity to ride out a period of financial uncertainty ( ie conflicitng property markets in uK and Oz coupled with dreadful exchange rates) . As a family desperate to leave Uk and get to Oz your opinions, advice or mere speculation would be greatly appreciated.

Hi sitting here on a cold very wet day here in Adelaide Looking at the housing market not moving Houses seam to be on the market for a long time and not moving a few round about me have been taken off the market as they have been on for so long and not sold others have had 2-3 diffrent agents trying to sell them the market here has dropped a good bit.The conffidence in the jobs market has dropped also with less jobs being advertised down 16 % since last year.The biggest building supply company is in a bit of strife looking to be bailed out had to pull sponcership of one of the state AFL teams so things not that bright here,

Guest jlr248

Cant imagine its really THAT cold there, even in winter. I suppose on the surface a slower housing market is good for us moving out from UK but if jobs are scarce and business's are folding that starts sounding a bit too familiar. What about this mining boom we keep hearing about, isnt that creating jobs and opportunities galore!

Guest WhatNow?
Cant imagine its really THAT cold there, even in winter. I suppose on the surface a slower housing market is good for us moving out from UK but if jobs are scarce and business's are folding that starts sounding a bit too familiar. What about this mining boom we keep hearing about, isnt that creating jobs and opportunities galore!

Believe me it IS that cold here, or rather it has been...now it's just cold rainy and dark today - feels like March in the UK LOL!

Mining boom is ok if you want to live in the back of beyond and drive a truck or work directly in the industry. You can earn upward of $1000 a week just for driving. The down side is you will be living and working with the 'rough diamonds' of Australia and will probably spend your wages on booze and drugs as there is nothing else to do! Think frontier towns in the Wild West USA 100 years ago and you won't be far wrong...As far as most Aussies are concerned the 'mining boom' means Australian dollars going off shore, despite the mining corporation propaganda to the contrary.

About the housing market - I have two Aussie friends who have just sold properties in the 500k to 1000k bracket in very nice areas (Hawthorne and Magill) and had to accept offers at about 3/4 of what they wanted. This is a bit of a shock for Adelaidians who have got used to their property going up in value every year and have had to come to terms with unrealistic expectations. Real Estate Agents have been trying to talk the market up but even they are starting to tell sellers that they have to keep their prices realistic. Lower priced property is good value as there are few first time buyers around who can afford the deposits and lenders here don't let you borrow more than you can pay back - sound familiar?

Guest essess

I agree...I was over there last June visiting husbands family and it was FREEZING. Stepson said he's recorded MINUS 8 at Port adelaide the other night and MINUS 1 in the northern suburbs. Take warm clothes for the winter cos you will need them.

Guest Asil

Mining boom is ok if you want to live in the back of beyond and drive a truck or work directly in the industry. You can earn upward of $1000 a week just for driving. The down side is you will be living and working with the 'rough diamonds' of Australia and will probably spend your wages on booze and drugs as there is nothing else to do! Think frontier towns in the Wild West USA 100 years ago and you won't be far wrong...As far as most Aussies are concerned the 'mining boom' means Australian dollars going off shore, despite the mining corporation propaganda to the contrary.

What complete drivel. Disgraceful comments to the people who work so hard.

Obviously a comment from someone who has never been to a mine nor met anyone who worked there.

The true fact being that many people work in the mines to provide a better lifestyle for their families. They work very hard for many hours, and most are to tired and far to clever to waste their money. Earning in excess of $120K is common, earning over $200K per year is not unusual.

Take a look at house prices around Roxby Downs and tell those people there is a downturn in house prices. Move north near the "pine" in NT and look at those people work, or travel West a little to "goorie".

Can you tell me what Whyalla had outside their plant years ago in regard to Aussie jobs?

In answer to the OP's question. No one knows, but the world over people with inflated house prices are being brought back to earth with consumers buy prices. Anything at the right price is selling. Clever people sell quickly. greedy people sell for 3/4 asking price.

Guest Brummie

My brother works in Roxby Downs, he works 2 weeks on and 1 week off, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. He's too tired after working a shift is all he wants to do is get some food and sleep ready for the next day. As far as drink and drugs are concerned it's instant dismissmal if caught. He's no rough diamond either. You don't have to live in the back of beyond either. The company he works for fly him in and out every fortnight. He has a room on site. But comes home on his week off. So if you had a family they could stay in Adelaide.

Guest Asil

14 days on 7 off generally get the flights, 7 on 7 off drive in and out. They do work hard, bloody hard.

They dismissed people 6 weeks ago for "planking" - this was not even on site or in working time.

Rough diamond, what comment, you could say the poster was a "stuck up bitch", hell if the shoe fits.

I sit here in not so sunny Uk, wondering if i will ever sell my house. Should I just bite the bullet and rent it for a year or 2 (who knows we could even make a little profit to put towards the ever increasing property rental / purchase costs in Oz). Also it seems that finally, after several years of rocketing house prices, maybe things are slowing down or levelling out in Adelaide. Is this going to be short lived or just the tip of the iceberg (crystal balls at the ready if you please). If we do decide to rent our house out in UK (out of necessity not choice) will the delay cause us never to get on the housing market in Oz as it continues to grow or could it be a blessing in disquise? An opportunity to ride out a period of financial uncertainty ( ie conflicitng property markets in uK and Oz coupled with dreadful exchange rates) . As a family desperate to leave Uk and get to Oz your opinions, advice or mere speculation would be greatly appreciated.

I think it is a guessing game. We rented our house out and for us wish we had no as we are now wishing we had sold it 2 years ago. Having said that it has been with an agent, had good tenants who now want to buy it (not that they are pre-paired to make an offer at the moment!)

If you want to buy here in Adelaide make sure you have enough money for a deposit. around 10% of the property value or more, it should make getting a mortgage easier.

We remortgaged our house and brought a small amount of money with us before we left now we need the rest to have a deposit :sad:

If you really want to get over here rent it out with an agent who will look into selling it after six months (but don't tell them that lol)

Good luck with your decision

x

Guest jlr248

Hi all and thanks for all your comments. Must admit I already knew that one comment about rough diamonds and drink and drugs was not very accurate. I know someone who worked for mining company and they told me instant dismissal for drinking etc and also told me how hard the work is and about fly in fly out options. Seems to me the best way to go to, my OH is up for it but as he is a Plumber and has never working in mining (tho he will turn his hand to anything to get out there) he will probably have to go on some courses first. Any info about just what he should do would also help (i know ive changed the subject a bit - so many questions!) Thanks to you all for confirming that mining isnt the wild wild west ! But also thanks to ian mc for taking the time to offer his opinion, you have all made valid points. I love this forum, so many people prepared to take time out and offer advice. What would we do without it?

Guest cubton

WhatNow you are a complete and utter bigot, how dare you pass comment on something you know nothing about, I live in a mining town and work in the mines, we are subject to regular drug and alcohol testing you are a complete idiot, stick to what you know... selling bullcrap to unsuspecting brits in the UK

Guest kfoley0681

hi my husband is a plumber and you will find that your partner need to do some course at tafe to work as a plumber anyway. uk qualifications dont really stand for much and you do need a licence to work as a plumber here. a good contact for questions is paul hebbard at regency tafe! we did look into mines and you need other qualifications or experience and its hard to get in or so we were advised!!! to earn $1000 a week there you can earn that as a plumber anyway or more if you work for one of the bigger plumbing compaines(smaller ones tend to pay less per hour). regarding the housing market it was getting to a point where people were getting gready and those who realistally price are still selling sure the market hs slowed up due to enconomical climate but also this time of year is never great for selling. spring/summer is always better for seller here! good luck in your desitions.

Guest jlr248
hi my husband is a plumber and you will find that your partner need to do some course at tafe to work as a plumber anyway. uk qualifications dont really stand for much and you do need a licence to work as a plumber here. a good contact for questions is paul hebbard at regency tafe! we did look into mines and you need other qualifications or experience and its hard to get in or so we were advised!!! to earn $1000 a week there you can earn that as a plumber anyway or more if you work for one of the bigger plumbing compaines(smaller ones tend to pay less per hour). regarding the housing market it was getting to a point where people were getting gready and those who realistally price are still selling sure the market hs slowed up due to enconomical climate but also this time of year is never great for selling. spring/summer is always better for seller here! good luck in your desitions.

Have emailed Paul Hebberd and OH will go and see him once are there. We had heard that plumbing jobs were a bit thin on the ground at the moment which was one of the reasons he was going to try and get into mining (that and the money). Could you recommend any bigger plumbing companies that might be worth emailing or contacting when we land? Sounds as if the housing market is following the same pattern as in UK, s'pose we have all got used to the unrealistic and unsustainable house prices.

Guest cubton

Where has this figure of a $1000 a week come from? i dont know anyone working in the Mines that isnt taking home $2000 a week and that is the minimum!

Guest Asil

Tafe is the best option with the best guidance, O/H should be able to start work as a trade assistant, or semi qualified untill completion of relevant course work.

Guest Asil
Where has this figure of a $1000 a week come from? i dont know anyone working in the Mines that isnt taking home $2000 a week and that is the minimum!

PLS don't tell all the bigot's, could you imagine they may want to work for real (ok a little far fetched, they prefer to take easy money from poms fresh off the boat)