Which bank

sandford5050

we are looking to open a bank account very soon and just wondered if any one can recomend a bank which is good (if that is possible) for atm,s charges ect

thanks

We opened our NAB account online Sunday night, and had an email back Monday that the account was open and can be used to transfer money into. We've also received an email from our personal banker and are meeting with her next month to pick up our cards and pin numbers. Been in OZ before and know that most banks charged a monthly fee, NAB doesn't! It's a good idea to open your account from this side, because when you arrive you only need to take your passports in for identification purposes. Once there and you don't have a bank account, the longer you wait to get it done, the harder it gets to open an account as you then have to go through their 100 point identification process, which is a bit of a pain.

I would definitely recommend NAB!

we are looking to open a bank account very soon and just wondered if any one can recomend a bank which is good (if that is possible) for atm,s charges ect

thanks[/quoteWe Have just opened a HSBC premier and a premier oz account its a free account with free transfer between uk and oz and you also get a personel manager in oz.To qualify you must pay in at least £50,000 within six months which can be at this end so no loss on exchange rate. They are sending all our cards to us before we go including oz credit card and we dont have to activate the account when we get there.

thanks[/quoteWe Have just opened a HSBC premier and a premier oz account its a free account with free transfer between uk and oz and you also get a personel manager in oz.To qualify you must pay in at least £50,000 within six months which can be at this end so no loss on exchange rate. They are sending all our cards to us before we go including oz credit card and we dont have to activate the account when we get there.

Just received our debit visa cards and pin numbers today !!

• 3 weeks later...
You might aswell explain aswell.

Stevo

Good experience with them, excellent service. INtrested to find out why they may be known as "con your wealth" Is that not a valid question on a forum not to mention looking after my intrests. And why not ask other to explain?

• 1 month later...
Guest boesman

There probably isn' a right or wrong answer, but how long before we move to Adelaide should we open a bank account? Should we leave the money from flat sale here in UK or transfer it to Oz (after of before moving there in Jan'12). Do we get taxed if we transfer 30k into an Oz acount? It seems everyone wants a bite of your money that one has worked so hard for for so many years.

Never heard it called that before.. All the bank are much the same all take fees in one way or another what they give with one hand they take away with the other.

Or con your wealth as certain people call it...but thats another matter.

Were with Adelaide Bank and have been since we got here, very good friendly service.

HG

Guest Sachertorte

I found Commonwealth are good for personal banking, but not so good for business banking esp if you need to set up merchant accounts or need to get in touch to sort things out.

The business centres are for proper companies (not sole traders) and if you want to set up a merchant account you have to do it dealing with a centre you can only ring and which I had a terrible time with. Waiting time to talk to the business services 10 mins+ (I thought I had called DIAC by mistake at some point :wacko:)

Also they required several thousands in security for the c/c reader. So it depends what type of banking you need... I am now with NAB and very happy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adelaide_bound
Please feel free to explain this matter. The more RELIABLE info on a forum the better do you not think?

Is there a particular reason you are so hostile Asil - maybe you work for them? (No-one likes 'their' things being rubbished after all).

We think we are going to go with NAB - we don't mind the bank charges per say - a feature of Aussie banks we thought, and I'd rather know I'm going to be charged $5 a month than £20 for going overdrawn + £20/day +£20 for them telling me etc etc in a sneaky manner like UK accounts - but as they don't have charges and have flirted with us the most, we'll go with them for now, and if they don't suit once we are there, will change.

Guest ade&emma

NAB are terrible! Ive got a bank account, credit card, home loan, personal loan, car and house insurance with them because i was fooled by the low fees. I've had so many problems with them and would never deal with them again. Speak to any mortgage advisor and

they'll tell you how useless they are. They have the lowest rates because they cut down on customer service.

Im in the process of switching to either ANZ or Commonwelth.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

I've been with NAB since we got here. The lady at the Adelaide branch stayed late with us to open our accounts (we had no idea they closed at 4pm and we'd turned up at about 3:58pm - out of the pouring rain....) She answered all our questions (not just about NAB, but about Oz/Adelaide too) Wrote down everything we needed. She literally couldn't have done more. She even found the kids stuff to play with in the branch - and stamped their hands with little ink whales when we left.

If that isn't good customer service - what is?

Jus' saying.