Safety deposit box

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Probably (another) silly question from us - we are going to go off around Aus for a bit, but for the first time in our lives we find ourselves with a couple of things that are beyond precious to us that we a) won't want to take in a campervan with us (eg my cartier watch) and b) we don't have anywhere else to leave them.

In movies you see people with locked boxes in banks - do these really exist and if so can anyone rent one, or do you need to have thousands in the bank to get one? Our other thought was self storage places, but I don't really feel these are secure enough so am wary of leaving our really really precious stuff in one of these (we will be using these for our furniture/books etc that we are sea shipping over - the precious stuff will be flying over with us).

I've searched on a couple of the Aussie bank's websites, but can't find anything - anyone got any ideas?

Cheers :)

Guest Guest75

When we first came over we placed some valuables with our bank. We were existing clients. Smooth talked into no charge. I'm not sure that would happen now but if you are transferring funds to a bank here that would be where I would start.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Cheers Tyke, that's what I thought - we are going to go down to the big smoke to open our bank accounts in person when we go down to get the visas in our passports (hopefully not jumping the gun there!), so will speak to them about the possiblity of that as well. Guess we are just so clueless about so much we keep going 'oh, what about....' lol. :D

Guest Guest75
Cheers Tyke, that's what I thought - we are going to go down to the big smoke to open our bank accounts in person when we go down to get the visas in our passports (hopefully not jumping the gun there!), so will speak to them about the possiblity of that as well. Guess we are just so clueless about so much we keep going 'oh, what about....' lol. :D

When opening accounts you have the upper hand,they want your business and are more open to doing you a favour:wink::wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UzinOz

I work for one of the banks and not all branches have them, normally the bigger ones or city branches and they are in demand. Worth ringing around or emailing before hand.

Jackie