Is anything cheap?!!

Guest bidsandrew

Guest bidsandrew

My husband wants me to ask is there anything cheap in Aus?! We have looked at cars and rental which both look expensive. From what we have read everything else (food, furniture, clothing etc etc) are expensive. I know generally wages are higher but it just seems that cost of living is going up and up. Is this true and is it the lifestyle that makes it all worth while?

Silly question I know, but just interested to know everyones views!

Bridget

Guest Guest5035

Seas free, suns free, the rain today is free, beach is free, but everything else is getting expensive, but only if you've not got much money and that depends on what you want out of life.

stevo

Guest Sachertorte

I concur- petrol is cheaper. Train travel is cheaper.

However... to say that it offsets the costs of groceries.... I don't agree. Unless of course you drive THAT much :nah:

I'm afraid to say that I find living here considerably dearer than back in the UK. Food (and good restaurants), clothing, shoes, and esp manufactured goods in general are much more expensive... as they are generally imported.

Going on holiday (unless it's camping or you don't have to fly) is $$$$.

Really not meaning to put anyone off- it depends as stevo says how much you earn! If you earn very well and don't have to watch the pennies then you should not have to compromise your lifestyle or worry.

Mortgage rates are high- around 8% at the moment- HEAPS dearer to pay off a house here than in the UK :goofy:

It probably just depends on your own priorities and how much you value beach, sun, the outdoor lifestyle and all those things you can't have on your doorstep in the UK.

Guest bishop3912
I concur- petrol is cheaper. Train travel is cheaper.

However... to say that it offsets the costs of groceries.... I don't agree. Unless of course you drive THAT much :nah:

I'm afraid to say that I find living here considerably dearer than back in the UK. Food (and good restaurants), clothing, shoes, and esp manufactured goods in general are much more expensive... as they are generally imported.

Going on holiday (unless it's camping or you don't have to fly) is $$$$.

Really not meaning to put anyone off- it depends as stevo says how much you earn! If you earn very well and don't have to watch the pennies then you should not have to compromise your lifestyle or worry.

Mortgage rates are high- around 8% at the moment- HEAPS dearer to pay off a house here than in the UK :goofy:

It probably just depends on your own priorities and how much you value beach, sun, the outdoor lifestyle and all those things you can't have on your doorstep in the UK.

Very well said Sachertorte. I have to disagree with Thebacons, yes petrol is cheaper here than UK but it no way offsets against your shopping costs lol. We also find days out here alot more expensive (ie wildlife park etc etc) than the UK unless you are talking about a free beach/park. Also eating out can be more expensive if you want more than a Subway/Hungry Jacks meal. It does depend alot on what you earn, a high wage means you defo dont have to watch the cents and worry about how to pay the next bill. The beaches are beautiful and the parks, generally the weather is nicer here (obviously not today lol) so it does mean you can get out bit more for days out compared to UK. As Lynsteve said, it depends what you want out of life.

I agree, things are generally more expensive. Groceries I personally think are a lot more than home. You certainly don't have the offers that Asda and Tesco's have. When you come over, I would suggest you bring as much furniture with you as you can as to replace it once here again is more expensive. Having said that, those walks along the beach in the evenings, watching the sun set and feeling the warm, makes you appreciate why you moved and that feeling far outways the grocery bill - until you go shopping again of course!! As long as you are prepared to put work hard, it is worthwhile.

Very well said Sachertorte. I have to disagree with Thebacons, yes petrol is cheaper here than UK but it no way offsets against your shopping costs lol. We also find days out here alot more expensive (ie wildlife park etc etc) than the UK unless you are talking about a free beach/park. Also eating out can be more expensive if you want more than a Subway/Hungry Jacks meal. It does depend alot on what you earn, a high wage means you defo dont have to watch the cents and worry about how to pay the next bill. The beaches are beautiful and the parks, generally the weather is nicer here (obviously not today lol) so it does mean you can get out bit more for days out compared to UK. As Lynsteve said, it depends what you want out of life.

This is the thing it completely depends on your own circumstances both what you come from in the uk and where you want to live when you end up in Adelaide.

At the moment I'm doing around £100 a week in fuel alone in the uk and this cost will be much cheaper. Houses wether rental or buy is around the same and I will get more for my money. Food will be more expensive but we cook from scratch and their are some who post and say that it can still be done without to much more expense. For my trade wages are on par if not a bit more than in the uk.

For us it will be around the same, and maybe when we get into the swing of things slightly better financially. For others it will be better and for some worse.

You need to do your own research based on your own circumstances. Will be different for e eryone.

This is the thing it completely depends on your own circumstances both what you come from in the uk and where you want to live when you end up in Adelaide.

At the moment I'm doing around £100 a week in fuel alone in the uk and this cost will be much cheaper. Houses wether rental or buy is around the same and I will get more for my money. Food will be more expensive but we cook from scratch and their are some who post and say that it can still be done without to much more expense. For my trade wages are on par if not a bit more than in the uk.

I think your opening statement is spot on but -and I could be totally wrong - the rest is based on optimism rather than experience.

Petrol is only cheap if you don't have to travel many k's

Mortgages are around 8% (well, ours is!)

Scripts cost more

Dentists cost more

Schools cost more

Uniforms cost more

We pay a water levy, emergency levy etc etc

You need to get ambulence cover

It goes on and on and on...

...does it matter? Yes, sometimes I've counted the days till the next pay day but would I change anything? No! People seem to spend a fair bit of time questioning whether it's cheaper here or there - and that's important obv.- but really, wherever you are you just have get on with it.

:smile::smile: LC

PS. If you have one of those visas where you seem to have to pay mega-heaps for everything then I apologise if I seem a bit er..harsh?:notworthy:

I think your opening statement is spot on but -and I could be totally wrong - the rest is based on optimism rather than experience.

Petrol is only cheap if you don't have to travel many k's - I Do and spend at least £100 per week on fuel.

Mortgages are around 8% (well, ours is!) - Our morgage in Aus compared to the UK will be around the same, rentals also the same (South England)

Scripts cost more - Yes but you pay as you go and you can get bulk billing which does not make it that much more expensive.

Dentists cost more - Yes if you had a NHS one in the UK, we dont as you cant get in one so costs are comparable.

Schools cost more - Yes again depending on the ones you left to the ones you join.

Uniforms cost more - Not true all depends again on the schools you left to the ones you join in Aus.

We pay a water levy, emergency levy etc etc - You dont pay Tv licence or council tax.

You need to get ambulence cover - Yes and medicare costs but is that not the same as paying National Insurance in the UK.

It goes on and on and on... - And for everyone there sircumstances are different and some people earn higher wages in Aus.

...does it matter? Yes, sometimes I've counted the days till the next pay day but would I change anything? No! People seem to spend a fair bit of time questioning whether it's cheaper here or there - and that's important obv.- but really, wherever you are you just have get on with it.

:smile::smile: LC

PS. If you have one of those visas where you seem to have to pay mega-heaps for everything then I apologise if I seem a bit er..harsh?:notworthy:

Hi, my views are based on my reasearch and my recce.

Am not saying some things are not more expensive and their are new costs but there are some things that are cheaper and there are some costs in the UK you do not pay for in Aus. My points are in red above. Like i say and have said though all depends on your circumstances, where you lived in the UK and your job ect.

Think the last part of your post is also spot on. People moving out do so for various reasons and know what they are getting into and leaving behind. No point in moaning after you have jumped, you just need to adapt and get on with it.

Seriously, Cleland wildlife park is more expensive that say, Marwell zoo, or Longleat Park, other UK parks.

Can only go by where i live but its much cheaper then say a day out at Marwell zoo, Longleat, or Paultons Park, Chessington ect.

Not to mention something you cant do in the Uk becouse of the weather, sitting on a Beech which is compleatly free.

Guest purplerdt77

Hi I went and looked at the Ikea website for Adelaide and compared to the UK it was only slightly more expensive nothing major £20-£30 more per large item ie sofas etc, this has to be cheaper than shipping everything over, look on the Ikea website for Australia for yourself I was really pleased to see the prices were very reasonable. I would imagine like the UK shopping around could be the key.

Hi I went and looked at the Ikea website for Adelaide and compared to the UK it was only slightly more expensive nothing major £20-£30 more per large item ie sofas etc, this has to be cheaper than shipping everything over, look on the Ikea website for Australia for yourself I was really pleased to see the prices were very reasonable. I would imagine like the UK shopping around could be the key.[/quote

Yes i agree, furnature is about the same.

We are shipping out boxes of kitchen stuff and personals and electricals but leaving the furniture behind.

We are paying £600 for all of our posetions minus the furnature compared to £3k for a container.

Never had no white good to take as they are all built in so have to stay behind.

Leaves about $3.5k to get a sofa, table & Chairs, double bed, 2 single beds, and a few other bits.

Easilly achievable.

Guest loopylisa

I think one thing that stands out for me is not only that the metro network is reasonably priced its also accessible. This means for me and Mr Loopy we will be able to run one car. There is no way I could or would dream about being without a car in the UK and ultimately will save us $$$$ again as someone previously stated it all depends on your circumstances I can see this might not be possible for people with children

As an aside I bought a netbook cover from typo for 12 bucks( about 8 quid) I had been searching HIGH and low for one as pretty and well priced in the UK and couldnt find a decent one for less than 20 quid.

Guest purplerdt77

Gum tree looks really good a guy was selling the complete white goods from a home where unfortunately someone had passed away but all the white good were less than five years old in fab condition and were really inexpensive about $500 for washing machine, dryer, fridge freezer, and cooker I love shopping for bargains but also like to save money.

Guest Viksta

That last post made me chuckle!! A day out here is ridiculous, we live five mins from legoland and my poor 3 year old has never been as it will be about £90 for the family and you now have to pay £6 to park the car!!!!!!!! Definatley agree with all the posts already made - swings and roundabouts!

Guest cornish Busdriver

The cost of living is relevant to the wages

People make a big mistake alway currency converting back to the uk.

This is not the uk and you just gotta adjust, no biggie.

Guest smurph

we dont pay council tax... since when?...(apart from if you are happy to rent)... but if you buy a house then you pay Rates annually and i have just been hit with a $1200 bill.

ok so we dont pay a tv licence, but believe me the tv is shocking, it has got better over the years though i must give them that...lol

Guest m.jephcott

Depends on where you live in the UK and where you are moving to, how much you earn and will earn in Oz and what you like doing and spending money on. I think it is now expensive, 6 years ago when we were here before it was cheaper, but thats comparing with the exchange rates at the time. As one of the previous posters said it is all the little things you didn't pay for that really add up, $400 for glasses for my 4 year old, $260 for a non-urgent scan for a 3 year old and perscriptions for children. $360 for school fees, $65 for termly kindy fees that would be free for both of my children in the UK. Ambulance cover the list goes on. Yes petrol is cheaper, but we drive more here. I think it depends on what you are looking for this is Australia not the UK and things are different, we came for the change not the similarities so we have to accept them.

Just to comment on a few points:

Scripts cost more - Yes but you pay as you go and you can get bulk billing which does not make it that much more expensive.

Bulk billing prescriptions - how do we tap into that? We must be doing something wrong - basic medicines here are costing us a fortune!

Dentists cost more - Yes if you had a NHS one in the UK, we dont as you cant get in one so costs are comparable.

Sorry, but I can't agree that dental costs are comparable!

We pay a water levy, emergency levy etc etc - You dont pay Tv licence or council tax.

That makes it sound as if home owners don't pay council rates - they do, based on property value and whilst property prices have stagnated, rates have just gone up (by up to 9% in some council areas). Having just paid our bill I'm now several thousand dollars lighter than this time last month :sad:

Jim

Guest Sachertorte
Seriously, Cleland wildlife park is more expensive that say, Marwell zoo, or Longleat Park, other UK parks.

Can only go by where i live but its much cheaper then say a day out at Marwell zoo, Longleat, or Paultons Park, Chessington ect.

Not to mention something you cant do in the Uk becouse of the weather, sitting on a Beech which is compleatly free.

Hi The Bacons

This is a delicate phase for people like you who are about to move.... as I said I didn't want to put anyone off being happy about their move.

All I can say is the plan one has on paper before actually coming to live here is very likely to have to be adjusted when you get here.

Depending on your line of work, your starting capital, having small children or not, having enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle.... your views will be entirely different from the next person. As Matt says, it depends mostly on your wages and as long as you feel you are willing to take a punt and "adjust" should needs be... then that's fine.

Also agree that simply converting GBP into AUD is not an accurate operation. Also, one thing to bear in mind here.... when you buy a house and it needs renovating.... you will be shocked at how much it will cost you to have a quality job done!

Many people build for a reason.... sorry- I could go on and on- IMHO you won't know the full picture until you're here.

Good luck to everyone planning their move :smile:

Guest MattfromNZ

I Have been living in third world countries for three years until I went back to NZ to see family before I came to Adelaide. Needless to say, I had the shock of my life seeing the prices of food and petrol in NZ.

When I came to Adelaide, I was delighted to see the cost of housing, petrol and food to be a lot cheaper than NZ. As for electrical stuff like TVs and furniture, I am still amazed how cheap it is. Even in comparison to NZ three years ago. Ikea and places like Kmart and Big W are good value. If you shop at the right places and live economically, I think Adelaide is much cheaper. A kilo of boneless skinless Chicken is $7.00 on special. In NZ on special it is $20 plus. . I drive a car on LPG and its only 60 cents a liter.

Utility costs are cheaper. I suppose there are a few extra costs like insurances and car rego is quite expensive, but last time I was in the UK, I found that even more expensive than New Zealand. So unless the UK has become a lot cheaper in the last 5 years or so, I still think Adelaide is cheaper. I earn about $20k more a year than what I could earn in NZ doing the same job, so overall for me, its win win.

Hmmm, that was gonna be a quick post!

Guest bidsandrew

Thank you all for your comments, its seems this post got you all going!! We totally understand that Aus as a whole is not a cheap country to live in and it was never a problem but we were just interested in peoples view on the matter as every time we read another post it was about how expensive things were!

We will make a plan no matter what, we dont have a lot of spare money each month in the UK so its not like we are going from loads of spare cash to nothing. We are moving for the lifestyle and as you all pointed out beaches, weather, parks etc etc are all free! I grew up in South Africa so could have gone back there if we were looking for a cheaper way of life (although things have increased there as well, but pound to Rand better!) but that is not what we are looking for and we just feel that Aus can offer us the outdoor lifestyle we want. We live very cheaply in the UK and our focus is more on family life and happiness rather than on material things (although we do still need to eat and wear clothes!) so we hope we can survive on as little as we do here. And its all about what you make of life anyway.

Bridget