Currency in

Guest Jane & Tony

Guest Jane & Tony

Hi

could someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Maximum amount of $ is 5000 per person (through airport) without declaring. Does that mean you can bring more if you declare?

Ta everyone/anyone that can answer

J :confused:

Guest loopylisa

Not really sure why you would want to bring over that much cash anyway. I wouldnt personally carry that much, not when you can put in on pre loaded cash cards and/or do money transfers all of which is alot safer for you and your money. But if for some special reason you have to then you can as long as you fill out the form.

This is from the customs website:

Currency

There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia. However, you must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent. If asked by Customs you must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) form if you're carrying promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders or postal orders.

You may also need to declare on departure dont forget

Guest Adelaide_bound

If you take more in (that the $10,000 allowed), if you do not declare it, they can seize it and not give it back ( a little more complex than that, but that's the crux). If you declare it and don't have good reasons for it, (I believe) they can still seize it if they think you are doing something dodgy. (In the same way they can cancel your visa if they want to (I'm thinking more WHV etc here btw). If you are a family emigrating to the country it is very unlikely they will think you are drug mules/smugglers/money launderers and so on, so I would have thought there wouldn't be an issue, especially if you can prove where it is from.

However, as above, why not just pay it into an Aussie bank account before you get on the plane and take it out again when on Aussie soil?

Guest Jane & Tony

Thanks everyone.

Just wondered. I've been having a disagreement with the OH about it. Tried to find an immigration website and got fed up of looking. We would not dream of carrying that amount (we might get robbed) Will transfer with an fx dealer. You get a better rate and let's face it, us emigrees need all the help we can get in these bad times.

Cheers

Jane

Guest Jane & Tony
Hi J

we looked into this and was told that anyone over the age of 18 could bring through $10,000.00, not sure how if affects you if you bring through more.

Sarah

Good luck to you both. Let us know how you get on x

Guest loopylisa
Thanks everyone.

Just wondered. I've been having a disagreement with the OH about it. Tried to find an immigration website and got fed up of looking. We would not dream of carrying that amount (we might get robbed) Will transfer with an fx dealer. You get a better rate and let's face it, us emigrees need all the help we can get in these bad times.

Cheers

Jane

It wont be on an immigration website because it is a customs issue. I just wish I could worry about bringing that amount of money with me. I'm so poor and am pretty much coming over with the clothes on my back. Got my OH though thank god.

Guest Jane & Tony
It wont be on an immigration website because it is a customs issue. I just wish I could worry about bringing that amount of money with me. I'm so poor and am pretty much coming over with the clothes on my back. Got my OH though thank god.

That's the main thing then. x