Please recommend a tax adviser

Guest uk3000

Guest uk3000

Hello,

I and my wife have recently moved to Adelaide, and this is my first post here :)

I'm about to start a new job as an IT contractor for an oversea company. I understand I have several options to conduct this kind of business (sole trader, company, trust) and I'm looking for a professional advice on what to chose. Could anyone please recommend a good accountant/tax adviser, preferably in the southern suburbs?

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes, Doug has helped us with our taxes too.

All well until last year when I think something went awry :sad: i know he had his own stresses but my OH's tax claim wasn't quite right (appears we overpaid some $1500!). Accidents happen and so although that seemed to muck up our family allowances, we never signed our claim, he has not yet replied to any of our (friendly..we're not the screaming types) emails or messages, and my daughter's tax was never processed, we are hoping it will get sorted this year.

I wasn't sure whether to post this as up till last year, all was good but I have to say last year's was very disappointing and I wouldn't like anyone else to go through that.

I don't think I would recommend doing the whole thing over the phone with the lady (sorry, I have no idea of her name) who works there -even if she reckons lots of people do it that way.

:sad: LC

Guest Doug Booth
We have been to Doug at Southern Taxation on Beach Road again this year. Saw him today, all done and dusted in 10 mins.

Lazy Cow, I am not quite sure what you are on about? If you had a complaint, then you would have been dealt with, but I don't recall any problems from last year.

AND WE DO NOT MAKE ERRORS WITH CLAIMS.

Guest Doug Booth
Hello,

I and my wife have recently moved to Adelaide, and this is my first post here :)

I'm about to start a new job as an IT contractor for an oversea company. I understand I have several options to conduct this kind of business (sole trader, company, trust) and I'm looking for a professional advice on what to chose. Could anyone please recommend a good accountant/tax adviser, preferably in the southern suburbs?

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Not sure of your exact circumstances, but there are a few options available to you.

If your income will be higher than $80,000, then you might consider a company or trust structure.

A company structure will currently limit tax on profit to 30%.

While a trust structure will enable you to distribute profit to family members on lower taxable incomes.

You could also operate as a sole trader, or dependant on your spouse's income, you could set up a family partnership.

Both a company or trust structure incur set-up fees.

Sales to a foreign entities are GST-Free.

If you need any help, then feel free to give me a call.

Guest uk3000
Hi Andrew,

Not sure of your exact circumstances, but there are a few options available to you.

If your income will be higher than $80,000, then you might consider a company or trust structure.

A company structure will currently limit tax on profit to 30%.

While a trust structure will enable you to distribute profit to family members on lower taxable incomes.

You could also operate as a sole trader, or dependant on your spouse's income, you could set up a family partnership.

Both a company or trust structure incur set-up fees.

Sales to a foreign entities are GST-Free.

If you need any help, then feel free to give me a call.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for coming back to me here in person. It's hard to predict my gross income because the Aussie dollar fluctuates so much these days. My wife doesn't work (she's going to enter the Uni). I've been considering a family trust to distribute the income between the two of us. However I might not be able pass the ATO PSI test. I'm gonna be engaged full time with a single company (albeit overseas) so I think the PSI rules will apply to me. At least I got it that way from the ATO website.

I indeed would like to arrange an appointment with you to discuss my matters, hopefully sometime this week, I'll give you a call. Thank you.

Cheers,

-Andrew.

Lazy Cow, I am not quite sure what you are on about? If you had a complaint, then you would have been dealt with, but I don't recall any problems from last year.

AND WE DO NOT MAKE ERRORS WITH CLAIMS.

I hope you are right Doug, and there was no mistake lol. I am not a tax consultant but it appeared that my OH paid the Medicare levy although our joint income is less than the $150,000 I thought was the threshold. As I said, we never had any problems with your company in the past.

I didn't say I had a compaint, But I did say that my emails and messages had not yet been replied to because they haven't. I tried to ensure my post was fair - I stated that we'd had no problems in the past and were hoping it would all get sorted out this year. Which I do and I tried to make it clear that we were hoping that you would be the one to do it.

I do not think my post is in any way rude, unfair or libellous. I have only passed on my experience and I believe I did so in a fair way. I assumed we would see you later this year when I trusted my concerns would be put to rest. If you would rather we use someone else, please let me know. If you have any further questions, again, please let me know.

LC

I have just tried to send a reply to your pm to me but was informed that you have chosen not to receive messages. I included a copy of my first email to you, of 24/01/2010 as that had all the details so if you'd like it please let me know how I can get it to you. Thanks, LC

Guest Doug Booth
I hope you are right Doug, and there was no mistake lol. I am not a tax consultant but it appeared that my OH paid the Medicare levy although our joint income is less than the $150,000 I thought was the threshold. As I said, we never had any problems with your company in the past.

I didn't say I had a compaint, But I did say that my emails and messages had not yet been replied to because they haven't. I tried to ensure my post was fair - I stated that we'd had no problems in the past and were hoping it would all get sorted out this year. Which I do and I tried to make it clear that we were hoping that you would be the one to do it.

I do not think my post is in any way rude, unfair or libellous. I have only passed on my experience and I believe I did so in a fair way. I assumed we would see you later this year when I trusted my concerns would be put to rest. If you would rather we use someone else, please let me know. If you have any further questions, again, please let me know.

LC

I have just tried to send a reply to your pm to me but was informed that you have chosen not to receive messages. I included a copy of my first email to you, of 24/01/2010 as that had all the details so if you'd like it please let me know how I can get it to you. Thanks, LC

Hi Lazy Cow,

I didn't consider your post rude, but as I don't effectively know who you are, then the post did concern me.

If we didn't respond to your emails, then apologies.

Please send me the details and I will look into your other half's return.

If your combined income is below $154,000, then the Medicare Levy Surcharge does not have to be paid.

I have changed my mail settings to receive mail, didn't know that it was set-up that way.

My direct email for work is doug@sas-pl.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just thought I would share the reply I have just received - seems only fair lol!

Basically it appears I was right...I know nothing about tax! Doug told me that : "Paul paid Medicare Levy. All taxpayers are liable to pay medicare, and Paul would have (and did) pay Medicare in previous years. There are no exemptions." which just goes to show how slow I am as Doug has been doing our tax since the 2005 one - and I've never noticed that we've both been paying it lol!! Mind you, I am pleased because I would rather I was wrong than my tax was!

The other thing I mentioned was that we hadn't had a reply to any of my emails or phone calls but Doug added :"I do recall an email from you regarding the medicare matter, and I'm think I either sent an email reply or left a message on an answerphone."

So, all good then. If anyone was at all worried by the concerns I voiced in my original post, I hope that this will put your mind at rest. I have quoted Doug's own words because that way you can see what he said rather than what I thought he said! :smile:

LC