opening an account from the uk

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

Guest LOUISE HANNAH

Has anyone opened an account from the Uk before moving to Oz.?

Looked on a few sites, but they all require your tax file number.

Can anyone reccomend a bank or website to go on

Louise

Hi there,

I spoke to HIFX just this week and they passed my details onto WPac Bank. They have sent me an application pack out for a deposit only account. Once you get to Oz you just activate it and bobs your uncle.

Kimberley x

I'd highly recommend Westpac..don't use ANZ for sure, even though they allow you to open an account before arrival. Unless you need to open one before getting there to transfer money ahead of time, it's easy enough to do on arrival. And if you do open one ahead of time, you don't have full access until you go to the bank when you arrive and finalise opening it anyway.

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Louise, we too have used westpac, which you can do online and they then send you the account nos in the post or give them a call and they then can send you the forms.

Scooterdan has done the same , but also he has opened an online hi interest account as well as the normal deposit account, but this account has to have a minimum deposit at any one time to avoid any charges (same as here) So far westpac have been very good and helpfull. Cheers Graham

Hey!

Can fully recommend WestPac, we were contacted through HiFx, and used them after we were told they were good. When we sent of the forms, via email, we got out account details within days. After i had confirmation of numbers i rang WestPac to get online access, only a 2 minute wait we had, and the lady was very friendly and helpful. We now have online access to make sure our transfers get there!!

We do have the high interest and got charged AU$5 for the first month but now we have the minimum amount in we dont get charged on that account.

As they say in OZ.... No worries mate!

Dan and Steph

Just been looking at the westpac web site and I am a bit confused :confused:

It seems that you have to pay a monthly fee on all the bog standard accounts, is this right? or am I missing something?

Guest woody crew
Has anyone opened an account from the Uk before moving to Oz.?

Looked on a few sites, but they all require your tax file number.

Can anyone reccomend a bank or website to go on

Louise

hi ya, we opened an account with westpak in nov last year and it was open with in 3 days, you can then send your money over as soon as you have all the account details. once you arrive ain oz you just have to go to your chosen bank and take in your documents, easy bank account active. we opened ours while out on hols and as long as you keep a certain amount in there then you do not get charged, we used westpak, they are friendly and very helpful

Guest Tracijbc

Just to throw something else into the mix, we have both opened accounts with NAB from the UK. so far, their service seems really good, quick to send account details through and for their Adelaide branch to contact us to make an appintment for us to go in once we arrive. Just thought I would mention them, as they seem ok so far.....

Traci x

• 3 weeks later...

It's simple to set up an account as most of the people here have already said, the best way we found was to contact the migrant banking department in the UK rather than the bank in Australia itself.

We contacted NAB in London and they have the account set up within 48 hours of receiving the paperwork. The account is deposit only until you arrive in Australia to fully activate the account.

Also as they own Clydesdale Bank, if you open a UK account with these they'll give an excellent rate when transferring the funds to Australia.

Guest Martin and Val
Just been looking at the westpac web site and I am a bit confused :confused:

It seems that you have to pay a monthly fee on all the bog standard accounts, is this right? or am I missing something?

Hi Tracey,

We have just returned from a recci in Adelaide and we opened our accounts with West Pac while we were over there. The fee is standard in Aus and to be honest it probably won't be long and we will pay here to. We just asked them to cancel the fees or we would go to a different bank and hey presto "No Fees". Account opened the same day Cheque books and ATM card a couple of days later. Great service.

Good luck

Martin and Val

Hi there, we bank with Westpac and are very happy with them. Please remember that Aussie banks do charge for everything and I mean everything - just so its not a major shock when you get here, for instance - if you use a cash point that doesn't belong to your bank then there is a $2,50 charge. I set up a direct debit to transfer money from my current account to my savings account (fortnightly) and got charged $5.00 (my own money and their accounts - I move it myself now using internet banking for free). I pay my rent fortnightly and pay via direct debit again $5.00 charge. I got a mini statement from my own bank - cost me 65c. Just to give you an idea - but other than that I am happy with the service and they certainly are very friendly and there are a lot of poms working for them too!

Lindsey

We opened with Westpac and changed just after we arrived we now bank with Bank SA and are very happy with them. (Horses for courses I suppose) You can't open an account from the UK but it takes seconds in the branch and we even got our cards through quicker than Westpac.

Commonwealth gets a good write up too.

Also look at HSBC which is something I didn't they have no fees and you can withdraw cash for free 5 times a month for free at another banks ATM plus you can use cash back at shops. And you get credit interest!

http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/savings/online-account or http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/savings/cheque-account if you want a cheque book.

Lea