Dollars or pounds? Here or in UK?

simon@sarah

Hi

My 18 year old son has decided that Oz is not for him and is returning to UK next week (absolutely gutted!!:sad:) and i wondered if anyone knew whether he will better to take the money out that he has in his ANZ account in dollars and change it to pounds once he arrives back in the UK or to take it out at ANZ in pounds.?

Cheers guys

Sarah

UK Banks won't let you open an online account - or any account - with them till you're actually there (some money laundering thing). We found this out when we tried to open accounts for our kids - had to actually take them into the branch in the UK to prove they existed when we were there earlier this year.

Get him to open an account as soon as he arrives, then do an interbank transfer from here to there, as Snifter suggests.

Guest tinkham_lee

When I holidayed to England earlier in the year (we got married over there so took a bit of money back) we went to the post office and got travellers cheques and paid them into our English bank account once we arrived.

hi Sarah and Simon,

I sympathise with you; my 18 year old son did EXACTLY the same thing in Exactly the same timescale, only it was 3 years ago!

there is so much to sort out, so much frustration for both sides; but now after 3 years, I feel it was the right thing for him to do!

james, my son was very angry, very lonely and blamed us for taking away his life, separating him from his friends and family and really made us suffer

for the few short weeks he was here.........i hope your boy is more reasonable about it.

The move is a huge thing at any age, but for teenage lads, its such a wrench, so try to understand that he still loves you, and you will all miss each other, but there are ways to beat the upset, and keep things smooth!

We had no contact for about 6 months, despite loads of calls, emails etc, but his friends and some family members kept us up to speed with things; then out of the blue, a phone call.............a sensible, adult conversation, something we hadnt had before...and we cried a bucket load.........

Things are better now, and hopefully you and your boy arent quite as bad as we were. My boy, his partner and our grandchild (ren, they are having another), will be here for xmas next year; we talk, skype and email regularly, and he is happy with his decision.

Good Luck, and I wish your son the very best of British, its a brave thing he is doing, Godspeed, young man.

hi Sarah and Simon,

I sympathise with you; my 18 year old son did EXACTLY the same thing in Exactly the same timescale, only it was 3 years ago!

there is so much to sort out, so much frustration for both sides; but now after 3 years, I feel it was the right thing for him to do!

james, my son was very angry, very lonely and blamed us for taking away his life, separating him from his friends and family and really made us suffer

for the few short weeks he was here.........i hope your boy is more reasonable about it.

The move is a huge thing at any age, but for teenage lads, its such a wrench, so try to understand that he still loves you, and you will all miss each other, but there are ways to beat the upset, and keep things smooth!

We had no contact for about 6 months, despite loads of calls, emails etc, but his friends and some family members kept us up to speed with things; then out of the blue, a phone call.............a sensible, adult conversation, something we hadnt had before...and we cried a bucket load.........

Things are better now, and hopefully you and your boy arent quite as bad as we were. My boy, his partner and our grandchild (ren, they are having another), will be here for xmas next year; we talk, skype and email regularly, and he is happy with his decision.

Good Luck, and I wish your son the very best of British, its a brave thing he is doing, Godspeed, young man.

Wow, thanks for that reply, made me cry, what an awful time it must have been for your family.

My son has been okay since he got here, that is what is making it even more frustrating, but the girlfriend of 2yrs back in the UK has made it impossible for him to settle here. He is going back to stay with my dad which gives me some peace and everyone says he will be back..BUT i truly dont think he will be, it isnt his sort of place, he doesnt like the heat or beaches and is not an outside person. To be honest I was suprised he even came with us to begin with.

I hope he will be back for visits and it is lovely that you have built your relationship with your son and grandchildren.

I am dreading the goodbye but I have to tell myself it is not forever and like you say, he does still love me just doesnt share my love of Australia.

Thankyou for the heart felt reply.

Sarah

sarah,

im sorry, i didnt intend for you to cry..............

Its enough to know that your son will be secure, and safe with your dad, and comfortable with his choice.

we did go through a bad time, but thats over now, and we are getting along, mostly; the occassional hiccup, but thats family life!

James, like your son, doesnt like the heat, so why he wants to come for christmas is a mystery..........except for the fuss that will be mad for them!lol.

Keep your chin up.

Regards

Jane