What is cheaper in Aus then in the UK !!!!!

minty

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrol is cheaper but I seem to travel a lot more than I did back in the UK so it works out about the same things are more spread out here so further to travel,there are no local shop that I can walk to so its a trip in the car. Used to be able to walk to the shops everywhere I lived in the UK.Not sure about the rates we pay about $1600 a year then you get a diffrent bill for your water rates which is on top of your rates was it not all in one in the UK? I dont drink wine but I would say there is not much in it 3 for 10 quid in asda when i was back a couple of months ago lucky if you could get that here.A bottle of vodka will cost you about $30 and about $40 for a carton of beer depends on make Public transport in my area is bad so dont use it .

Hi Ian,

My rates from my last house (just sold) were -

Council tax £1200 (approx $1800) per year.

and utilities were -

Gas £50 (approx $75) per month..

Electric £75 (approx $110) per month.

Water £22 (approx $33) per month.

This was for a small 3 bed semi quite new build.

How do your utilities compare ?

I find parking cheaper. When we go to the beach if we drive you can usually park for free and only $1 to park by the river in the city for 4 hours on a saturday, it would cost us about £8 to park all day at the coast in UK and about £15 all day in Leeds City centre. Don't know if a lot of things are cheaper but we seem to get better value. We can manage on one wage here and we definitely couldn't in the UK.

Petrol is the main one I think, and yes, public transport - if you're going to be using it, then bear that in mind when choosing a suburb. We buy our wine very cheaply by taking advantage of offer on the Get Wines Direct website (http://www.getwinesdirect.com/) or buying cleanskins. Parking in the city at weekends is something ridiculous like 20cents. Private school fees are generally cheaper than private would be in the UK - but we'd have never even considered it in the UK. I think university might be cheaper here once you're a citizen?

It does depend what rate you convert at, but meat seems generally good value here, whereas stuff like bread and fruit/veg seems quite expensive. Fish seems quite pricey. I would say going out to eat is cheaper, but that's because I'm a daily deal/voucher queen and that hadn't taken off in the UK when we came out here. For us it's not really a matter of what's cheaper and more expensive - once you're earning the aussie dollar, you just cut your cloth according to your means - probably petrol is the one thing you don't have a choice about, so it helps that that is cheaper, although longer distances as have been said cancel that out. But you tend to cook more from scratch here as the ready meals are awful, and you buy ingredients in season to get the best prices, or from markets etc, plus shop at small shops for stuff rather than get everything in one place to save money.

There was a thread I started a few months ago about money saving tips for newbies... I'll see if I can find it! There was some great posts which I have made good use of in it!

Here it is http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/25993-money-saving-tips-new-arrivals.html

:sad:It's actually quite expensive to live here and most things are not cheaper...

The sun and the surf and the blue blue skies balance out the cost though! :cool:Tamara

Deffenetly not the cheap place it once was but im a hopefull person and apart from the sun, surf, and skies somethings must be cheaper.

Hi Ian,

My rates from my last house (just sold) were -

Council tax £1200 (approx $1800) per year.

and utilities were -

Gas £50 (approx $75) per month.. $65 a month

Electric £75 (approx $110) per month. $125 a month

Water £22 (approx $33) per month. $94 a month Thats a winter bill with no water used for pool so expect it to go up in summer.

This was for a small 3 bed semi quite new build.

How do your utilities compare ?

As you can see much the same apart from water its a 4 bedroom house and heated by wood burner and there is only 2 of us living in the house so it not like we are over the top on anything.

As you can see much the same apart from water its a 4 bedroom house and heated by wood burner and there is only 2 of us living in the house so it not like we are over the top on anything.

Yep rates and utilities look about the same then so that them of the "cheaper" list.

Not taking the wine of yet though $12 for 3 litres is a bargain :jiggy:

Guest tinkham_lee

Car insurance is cheaper for us.

I was paying £800 tpft for a 2001 Laguna 1.9TD over here i pay $550 fully comp for a 97 Verada 3.5 v6 (both with 5 years NCB)

Wife was paying £1000tpft for a 98 corsa 1.0 over here $850 fully comp for a 99 Rav 4 2.0 (with no NCB)

Wow what will my car insurance end up being once we are there then. I shall hope its not more than we pay here :smile: We pay about £200 per year for our car, me as main driver, fully comp. Its a Laguna estate, 1.9L. Here is hoping its cheaper. Its gone up every year here in the UK for the past 5 years or so now, not my fault but just part of the general increased costs due to the insurance companies having to pay out more. Uninsured drivers and all that :sad:

Private school fees :) especially now I'm done with them.

Hehe yes, those also. We can't afford private in the UK but have worked out so long as we have a certain amount of income we should be able to afford them in Adelaide. We don't plan to go private till senior school, so a fair few years off yet for us, but have said we would consider it for junior level if need be.

Guest gazzman

Can somebody please tell me exactly where the cheap car parking is in the city, as i paid $28 for 4 hrs last saturday. I can't sem to find a cheap 1, the carpark i was in is the 1 that has traffic lights to get out of on to Grenfell St.

Petrol is the main one I think, and yes, public transport - if you're going to be using it, then bear that in mind when choosing a suburb. We buy our wine very cheaply by taking advantage of offer on the Get Wines Direct website (http://www.getwinesdirect.com/) or buying cleanskins. Parking in the city at weekends is something ridiculous like 20cents. Private school fees are generally cheaper than private would be in the UK - but we'd have never even considered it in the UK. I think university might be cheaper here once you're a citizen?

It does depend what rate you convert at, but meat seems generally good value here, whereas stuff like bread and fruit/veg seems quite expensive. Fish seems quite pricey. I would say going out to eat is cheaper, but that's because I'm a daily deal/voucher queen and that hadn't taken off in the UK when we came out here. For us it's not really a matter of what's cheaper and more expensive - once you're earning the aussie dollar, you just cut your cloth according to your means - probably petrol is the one thing you don't have a choice about, so it helps that that is cheaper, although longer distances as have been said cancel that out. But you tend to cook more from scratch here as the ready meals are awful, and you buy ingredients in season to get the best prices, or from markets etc, plus shop at small shops for stuff rather than get everything in one place to save money.

There was a thread I started a few months ago about money saving tips for newbies... I'll see if I can find it! There was some great posts which I have made good use of in it!

Here it is http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/25993-money-saving-tips-new-arrivals.html

Its all connected to earnings though, irrespective of whats cheaper of more expensive, or whether Britain is cheaper or dearer, its all connected to earnings, an economy wouldn't work or balance if people couldn't afford to survive, (like say africa) I think the UK is very cheap at the moment, though it doesn't seem it now because wages are or seem low, we had it good over the last decade or two, wait till the economy picks up, then it will get expensive here, and Aussy will seem cheap again. well thats my thinking anyway.

I personally find it expensive to live here.Where is BOGOF in the Supermarkets?Second hand old sheds of cars are extortionate,houses are overpriced when taking into consideration the build quality,or their dilapidated state.Rego!Bed linen!Quality shoes!The list is endless.That's my opinion and i'm sticking with it!The flip side though is,it's a better place to bring up a Family than the UK now in my opinion.More civilised,and the Aussies are mainly good,decent hard working people.The weather is not a factor to me,as it can be quite extreme throughout the year,one way or another.Yep,it's better here for us no doubt,and we are grateful for this,but it is not cheap to live here.

Can somebody please tell me exactly where the cheap car parking is in the city, as i paid $28 for 4 hrs last saturday. I can't sem to find a cheap 1, the carpark i was in is the 1 that has traffic lights to get out of on to Grenfell St.

Only cheap multi storey I know is the one that is over the market, with entrances off Gouger Street and Grote Street. Cost about $3 today for a couple of hours.

Only cheap multi storey I know is the one that is over the market, with entrances off Gouger Street and Grote Street. Cost about $3 today for a couple of hours.
We used one in the city on Glenfell street which has a pedestrian exit on to Rundle Mall cost $5 all day Saturday.Also down by the river across from North Terrace $1 for 4 hours on a saturday, about $6 for 4 hours through the week. If you are prepared to walk a bit further you can park free.

Guest tinkham_lee

Parking at the festival centre is $12 all day at the weekend not sure how much it is in the week.

Parking at the entertainment centre is $2 all day every day (unless there is an event on) and the tram to the city is free.