Child state benefits can anyone help??

Growler

Hi were moving to adelaide in June and planning to start a family. Does anyone know what kind of state help my partner and I would get once shes off work after having the baby i will be in full time employment. She would be returning to work but were trying to figure out what we would have to live on after childcare etc . . .ive had a look but it is very confusing.....????

Many thanks for your help,

Bruce ...

Hi were moving to adelaide in June and planning to start a family. Does anyone know what kind of state help my partner and I would get once shes off work after having the baby i will be in full time employment. She would be returning to work but were trying to figure out what we would have to live on after childcare etc . . .ive had a look but it is very confusing.....????

Bruce ...

maybe if you choose to have a baby you should be financially secure to have one ..............not expect the state to subsidize

Bruce ...

Have you looked at centrelink?

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/index.htm

I do have to add that I never use the calculators etc, as my wife deals with that. Just PM me, if you need any advice/help.

Cooler

maybe if you choose to have a baby you should be financially secure to have one ..............not expect the state to subsidize

I understand where you are coming from but when you lived in the UK did you send back the Child Benefit and/or the Child Tax Credit and/or the Working Tax Credit? If not then I think it is a little hypocritical to say what you have said. Just my opinion :confused:

Guest Helchops

I find this offensive. I can't stand people who criticise families for having children. In order to move to Oz the requirements are pretty stringent - and it's very difficult to be totally dependant on the state there. The odds are that the couple in question will take some time out (a year maybe?) to have a family, then pay many more thousand dollars into the taxation system than they would ever take out.

The problem with the world as it stands is that both parents typically have to work because we have become dependent on material possessions, typically meaning young families starting out can't even afford a roof over their heads. It sounds like you're part of that problem of capitalism and it is an abhorrent attitude.

I do have to say I find this uncalled for and very judgemental and not at all helpful toward to OP. It doesn't contribute to answering the question asked or provide any help whatsoever.

----

To the OP - I think you are being sensible in exploring the possibles of what you may be entitled to. However, in the past on other forums I've read it does depend on the visa type, as some mean you cannot claim anything, others mean you are entitled to claim certain things. Perhaps check out our sister site, Poms In Oz and have a look there and ask this question. I am sure someone there might be able to explain in detail, if you could let them know what visa you are coming out on. Or perhaps contact Cooler and chat with him. He is happy to help he said and I am sure would help to steer you through things as far as possible.

Good luck with it all. And even if you can't claim anything, I hope you are able to balance things so you are able to start your family when you want to. There is never an ideal time to have kids, lets face it. You could wait forever to be in a totally financially secure place before having kids but then you may be too old to even be able to have them, so don't let the negative voices put you off. We had our son and were in a good place financially beforehand as both working but then it took me over a year to find another job when I went back to work, so we had to tighten the belts for a bit, but we got through it.

Hi Smit, from your post you either dont have children or if you have dont draw the child benifits that the UK offer. If you dont fall in to either of these your contradicting yourself. If you qualify for a permenent visa you are entitled to certain help from centrelink if you have children. In my opinion if you are entitled to it claim for it. If you are lucky enough to have enough money that you dont need it or were even more lucky to have enherited a load then good on you but most hard working families claim whats on offer and the Oz goverment are happy to pay it for there future generations.

Chris.

Guest jadunlop

Hi there, I'm interested in looking into what we are allowed to claim as we have 2 girls aged 4 and 7. I have a job which pays under the $150,000 and my wife will not be working (yet! lol). We have a 5 year permanent visa (RSMS 119). I can't see anywhere to contact the Centrelink as it looks like you have to be already registered to contact them looking for information. If anyone could help with any information I'd greatly appreciate it. We don't leave the UK until the end of March.

Regards

Jim

Guest Heather2011
Hi all,

Thankyou all for your advice. Were not scroungers just doing the sensible thing of research. Ill have a look at Centrelink and have emailed Cooler.

Many Thanks again, Bruce & mandi

Good luck!

Hi there, I'm interested in looking into what we are allowed to claim as we have 2 girls aged 4 and 7. I have a job which pays under the $150,000 and my wife will not be working (yet! lol). We have a 5 year permanent visa (RSMS 119). I can't see anywhere to contact the Centrelink as it looks like you have to be already registered to contact them looking for information. If anyone could help with any information I'd greatly appreciate it. We don't leave the UK until the end of March.

Regards

Jim

Did you find anything out yet Jim? You may want to repost this as a new thread as chances are more people will see it and more likely to get replies. If you post as a secondary in a thread like this they can often get missed.

Regards

Jim

We are on visa 119 and were able to claim centrelink benefits (family assistance) straight away.

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/RateEstimatorsWeb/publicUserCombinedStart.do

go to online services, then rate estimator to calculate. you dont need to be registered to do an estimate.

Sarah

Guest jadunlop

Hi there, thanks for the link! I gave it a go and don't really think I knew what I was doing with some questions but I'll get there in the end. Look out for us in Hallett Cove as we are staying there with friends in Elizabeth Avenue until we find a rental.

Regards

Jim

Guest caoimhe

If your on any sort of Temporary Visa you are NOT entitled to any Family Assistance or help with Child care benefits..You must have PR.

While on a temp visa I couldn't work the school holiday as having 4 kids it would have cost $192 a day to get them looked after...This limited the jobs I could apply for.

Hi there, thanks for the link! I gave it a go and don't really think I knew what I was doing with some questions but I'll get there in the end. Look out for us in Hallett Cove as we are staying there with friends in Elizabeth Avenue until we find a rental.

Regards

Jim

will do!! Good luck with the move & happy to help with any questions.. We have a 7year old girl too! (aswell as a 2 1/2 year old girl & 8 year old boy..) get in touch when you arrive if the kids want someone to play with..

Our road is off Elizabeth crescent so we are just round the corner!!

Sarah

This ia a moral minefield, I am one for contributing before taking but when you arrive in Australai they are getting a highly skilled person with no education cost, you pay them for the visa and if you are like me it took two years to be entitled to tax benefit or other benefits in which timeIi paid in loads, I really think whne thought about you should be entitled, afterall with no future generation who will pay for our pensions etc?

On a practical note I applied in November after my PR status and am still waiting to hear. I was told they will not assess any cases for another 35 days! If like us youa re in a cash flow problem that is a disaster and has contributed to our throwing etowel in. How can they be so slow, Even the UK does better in turning around benefits etc. There would be a riot there if you had to wait three months. I am also tlg they will not backdate payments more than three months even if its their fault and you have been under assessed