Is this a fair picture?

Misplaced

The figures below are based on a family of 4 - kids aged 12 and 15.

The figures quoted are monthly.

[TABLE=width: 267]

[TR]

[TD]Water $86.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rates $137[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity $120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gas $67[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Broadband / Telephone $100[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Groceries $930[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Health Care $300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Diesel $150[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance 1st car $70[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance- 2nd car $45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Registration 1st car $55[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Registration 2nd car $55[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Servicing x 2 $75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]House insurance $70[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage $2500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Life Insurance $52[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile Phone 1 $25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile Phone 2 $50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]School Fees $167[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HairCuts $50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]School Dinner $62[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Trips Out $ 77.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dogs Grooming $100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Clothes $110[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dog Insurance $40[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Beer - 2 cases $80[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wine $45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cricket $72[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rugby $28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Acting $62[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Savings $50

Note - Cricket is for 1 adult 2 juniors, Dog Grooming is for our dog to be hand stripped, House is 3/4 bed, Health care is priced at that as I have health issues.

So guys and gals are the figures quoted near to or a long way off?

Cheers,

Mis[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest benj1980

Helchops I am presuming you are a teacher?! Do you know if ICT is a STEM subject? Sorry to hijack the post!

Groceries seem to be really high, but I guess they really do add up when picking up the day to day things.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Helchops I am presuming you are a teacher?! Do you know if ICT is a STEM subject? Sorry to hijack the post!

Sorry to jump in, but yes it is - I'm ICT PGCE, and was assessed as positive from SA for SS under STEM for Secondary teachers (the clue is in the name -Information Communication Technology, and Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths).

Guest scmercer

Hi

I would say your figures are pretty spot on. I did spend a bit more on groceries, probably about $1200 per month for a family of four and I spent a little more on petrol but everything else is pretty realistic. Not the cheapest place in the world to live when you break it all down!

Guest scmercer

Groceries seem to be really high, but I guess they really do add up when picking up the day to day things.

Groceries are really expensive in SA and the quality of food and supermarkets is poor in comparison to UK. If you are willing to travel about and go to markets etc then it is a bit cheaper but to do a whole week of shopping in Coles will cost $300 plus !

Guest benj1980

Haha, thanks Adelaide_bound I thought it was, however had been told differently!!

scmercer I see you've returned to the UK, I am interested in knowing if the reason was child related (providing it isn't a personal issue) as I have a boy 4 and a girl 2. I am hoping Oz would offer them something better than the UK in terms of a future, lifestyle etc...

Guest scmercer

Hi benj1980

A lot of factors contributed to returning to the Uk tbh, Adelaide is great, but difficult being away from family with such young children and found it so more expensive when we arrived in 2009 than when we went on our reccie in 2007. Anyone going out now would really need to be earning a fab salary to have a better standard of living than UK (in my opinion anyway!)

The figures below are based on a family of 4 - kids aged 12 and 15.

The figures quoted are monthly.

[TR]

[TD]Water $86.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rates $137

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity $120

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gas $67

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Broadband / Telephone $100

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Groceries $930

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Health Care $300

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Diesel $150

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance 1st car $70

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Insurance- 2nd car $45

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Registration 1st car $55

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Registration 2nd car $55

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car Servicing x 2 $75

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]House insurance $70

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage $2500

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Life Insurance $52

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile Phone 1 $25

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile Phone 2 $50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]School Fees $167

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HairCuts $50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]School Dinner $62

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Trips Out $ 77.50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dogs Grooming $100

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Clothes $110

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dog Insurance $40

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Beer - 2 cases $80

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Wine $45

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cricket $72

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rugby $28

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Acting $62

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Savings $50

Note - Cricket is for 1 adult 2 juniors, Dog Grooming is for our dog to be hand stripped, House is 3/4 bed, Health care is priced at that as I have health issues.

So guys and gals are the figures quoted near to or a long way off?

Cheers,

Mis

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I work that out at $69.966,but don't hold me to that ,it was just quick on my phone.I would of thought 4 mobile phones ,with the age of your children and your car's seem to be paid for ,no finance ,which a lot will have as well.Here's some sum's I've got,

If you earn $55,000 in a year, you will have to pay $10,050 in tax. Plus you will have to pay 1.5% Medicare levy which is another $825. Total tax paid is $10,875, which leaves you$44,125 cash = $848 per week. There are also tax rebates for dependent spouses/ children which lessen your tax bill - round figures around $1500+ per child.

So short fall for parent 2 too earn is around $25000 after tax,to keep the wolf from the door and drive two paid for cars,Also holiday's to think about,

Kev.

Kev,

You may have already seen this but if not you may find it useful - http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

We all have phones already but you are right they will need credit on them but to tell you the truth they only use them to ring/text us they aren't really into the texting/calling friends thing................yet!!!

Thanks I'll bookmark that ,the calculations I'd got were done for me by a company in Adelaide ,when offering me a job,on the link using their calculations it came out at another 9 dollar's a week in your pocket ,so both about the same,based on the $55,000 a year.

Kev.

Your list seems quite accurate! Looks like you have really done your homework. Just one question - where or who will be cutting your hair? $50 for a family of 4 sounds really reasonable.

Sarah

Well that is just a finger in the air. However, my head is folically challenged so clippers for me and the rest of the family have their hair cut when needed but it isn't monthly!! But over a year I reckon it would work out to $50 per month.

Agree- this seems really accurate. Don't forget doctor/dentist bills, medicines over and above the "Health Care" (assuming $300 monthy is the cost of your hospital and extras cover)

I had to smile at the budget for dog grooming being higher than the whole family's hairdressing :cute:

The cost of hairdressing and beauty here are astronomical IMHO- and the standard leaves so much to be desired!!

A mobile hairdresser is cheaper but still if the lady of the house has foils done that is when it gets closer to $200 for her plus the remainder of the family.

A mum at my local school goes to the barber and keeps her hair short to avoid having to pay the high prices of salons! This is one of the big gripes of mine... I have always seen hairdressing as a basic, but coming here reality has definitely put an end to that view!

Oops! Was that a rant? Tell me why I don't like Mondays :biglaugh:

My wife has a salon and its $20 for a gents hair cut are you saying thats astronomical??? its only $10 for a buzz cut say no 3 all over.

Agree- this seems really accurate. Don't forget doctor/dentist bills, medicines over and above the "Health Care" (assuming $300 monthy is the cost of your hospital and extras cover)

I had to smile at the budget for dog grooming being higher than the whole family's hairdressing :cute:

The cost of hairdressing and beauty here are astronomical IMHO- and the standard leaves so much to be desired!!

A mobile hairdresser is cheaper but still if the lady of the house has foils done that is when it gets closer to $200 for her plus the remainder of the family.

A mum at my local school goes to the barber and keeps her hair short to avoid having to pay the high prices of salons! This is one of the big gripes of mine... I have always seen hairdressing as a basic, but coming here reality has definitely put an end to that view!

Oops! Was that a rant? Tell me why I don't like Mondays :biglaugh:

Good point about the medicines as I have a few so will have to add that in as well and I know they aren't cheap. Looks like the OH will have to get a really good corner ;-)

I get where your coming from. She has some who moan its to dear and others say it to cheap shes just trying to be fair.

I really did not want to ruffle anyone's feathers, ian mc- would you agree I have not stated in any shape or form that your wife's salon charged too much?

I was referring to hair salons I have visited- probably I should have checked out your wife's!

Peace?:wink:

The figures seem okay to me, although electricity could be much higher (we're a family of three, out all day and we're yet to have a bill that works out anything like as low as $120 per month, but others might think it's fair). Obviously costs for running cars depends on the amount you travel - I spend double what you've shown on petrol, but that's about how much my wife spends. Our rates are higher than that, but our water is a bit less.

Jim

On the other hand, you can buy really cheap clippers and do the kids at home! My husband has absolutely no hairdressing training and always does my teenage son's!

Not sure about school dinners on your list - I have yet to find any school that does school dinners as we were used to in the UK. With your grocery shopping amount, you should be able to make packed lunches every day and maybe just give them $5 once a week to get a pie or a bag of crisps or something from the canteen! And you could easily save on trips out by taking the family bikes out for a ride, or going to the beach, or for a walk.... take a loaf of bread (which of course you'd buy when it was reduced at 4pm on a Sunday and put in your freezer, coz otherwise bread is pretty pricey here!) and some cheap snags and do yourself a sausage sizzle on one of the free bbqs!

On the other hand, you can buy really cheap clippers and do the kids at home! My husband has absolutely no hairdressing training and always does my teenage son's!

Not sure about school dinners on your list - I have yet to find any school that does school dinners as we were used to in the UK. With your grocery shopping amount, you should be able to make packed lunches every day and maybe just give them $5 once a week to get a pie or a bag of crisps or something from the canteen! And you could easily save on trips out by taking the family bikes out for a ride, or going to the beach, or for a walk.... take a loaf of bread (which of course you'd buy when it was reduced at 4pm on a Sunday and put in your freezer, coz otherwise bread is pretty pricey here!) and some cheap snags and do yourself a sausage sizzle on one of the free bbqs!

I don't want to be insulting Diane,but was your answer a bit tougue in cheek. I'm just hoping I can afford to give my children a bit more than the chance of a pie once a week and a cheap sausage bun made with out of date bread,if you know what I mean.

I find the fact that the wage figure's I showed in this thread were based on an hourly rate of $26 an hour and included doing every other saturday morning as over time ,a bit of a worry.Then with the fact that there seem's to be little or no affordable day care for children under 4 even more of a worry, when I can't see young family's surviving without both parent's being in full time employment ,its all a long way from the blurb on the South Australia make the move web site and their fancy video's.

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/home.jsp

If I've got all this wrong and if anyone can please point it out to me,then that would be real help,

Kev.