Help me work out costs please!

guspjmh

I have just received a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS and have sent off my state sponsorship. I am hoping to emigrate by the end of the year, and have been advised I would earn somewhere in the region of $70-$80k and my car will be included. I have a 2 year old boy and a 6 month old girl and my wife would like to stay at home with them initially.

Would I be correct in saying that we would qualify for family assistance immediately upon moving to adelaide (we are applying for a permanent visa)? Also, I have checked out the groceries etc online and they do seem more expensive, although not as much as I had dreaded! If I were to pay rent somewhere in the region of $400 per week, what could I expect my additional bills to be, and would my wage be sufficient to support us?

We would have a reasonable amount of capital, but I'd like to keep as much in £'s as possible until the exchange rate looks more favourable, and then use it towards a house. Is my plan realistic, or would my wage just not be enough for what I am hoping to do?

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Gus.

Hi there. Yes that wage will be fine. We moved over 7 months ago (2 adults,3 children)and were initialy on a single income of about $50pa.On a permenant visa the family/rent benefit is approx $700 per fortnight (this is based on three children,$50pa and rent of $380pw)Food shopping $250ish per week,Water $100ish per qauter,Gas and elec are both around $250-$300 each per qauter. In addition we have secondary fees $400pa and primary $290pa.After that theres your various car rego etc that vary.This far in a a single wage we have had no probs.We don't go out loads but have done several wildlife park/zoo/cinema trips etc and also had lots of family staying so the extra cost there. On the salary you are looking at you should be fine.Hope that helps. Deb

Gus,

Just check whether or not the Australian tax man will want to tax you on your 'gamble' in exchange rates becoming more favourable.

i have heard/read somewhere that if you where to wait until the rate improved and you got let's say $20k more then the tax man will want to include that money in your tax return.

Not sure how true this is but it might be worth checking.

• 1 month later...
Guest leeannekays

Hi ebstar, I am looking forsome advice on the money side of when we first arrive. We were suppose to be coming with a comfortable amount of money, however our house sale fell through last week so the house will not be sold before we fly in 2 weeks. How much money do you think we will need when we first arrive to get us through the first few weeks?

Any advice is really welcome as I am feeling worried

Leeanne