UK tax self assessment advice

Guest Guest6899

Guest Guest6899

Hello, we rented our UK home out as we were unable to sell, its been rented since Oct last year. iv received a self assessment form from HM revenue & customs which states for people who let out their properties. can anybody advise if i am now of the category:::

Self Assessment (SA) for self-employed/sole traders (including Class 2 National Insurance contributions)?

it then talks about what day i started my business?

can anybody advise

Lisa

Guest Guest6899

Hi thank you for your reply, can you remember if the uk form when you registered stated about having a business?? iv followed the link but it makes no sense, i may have to call them.. Were planning on using an accountant here as it seems complicated.

Lisa

I dont recall it saying anything about our own business. however i think it is all the same tax return ie self assessment.

There are a lot of irrelevent questions if its only one house that your filling it out for.We have called them soooooooo many times to ask them things. Just to point out you can only do a Uk online tax return from abroad by using a 'program' that you have to purchase and download to your computer. It was about £25 last year, but you can use it for up to 6 individual peoples tax returns, but has to be purchased again each tax year!! We eventually discovered this after about 5 calls at preium rate to the UK tax office.

Good luck

Donna

Hello Lisa.

You are likely to have to complete the following supplements to the UK tax return:

* Property

* Residence (this is the supplement that can't lodged using HMRC's free online e-filing service)

* Employment (if you worked in the year to 05/04/2012)

As others have said, I anticipate you will have to buy third party tax software or engage a tax accountant if you are no longer resident in the UK.

In case of need: http://www.gmtax.com.au

Best regards.

Hi

Just a note to say that you don't have to call the premium rate phone numbers - there is usually a ''calling from abroad'' number listed, and/or you can find alternative fixed line (01 etc) numbers from a site called something like 'say no to 0845', just google that phrase and it should come up. This goes for any UK businesses inc banks and mortgage providers.

Hope this helps!

:)

Hi

Just a note to say that you don't have to call the premium rate phone numbers - there is usually a ''calling from abroad'' number listed, and/or you can find alternative fixed line (01 etc) numbers from a site called something like 'say no to 0845', just google that phrase and it should come up. This goes for any UK businesses inc banks and mortgage providers.

Hope this helps!

:)

Try this one http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Guest Guest6899

Thank you both for the info. it would be easier if i could just email but they dont give you the option.. suppose there not making any money from calls that way!!

Guest Guest6899
Personally - I'd not bother.

Feel able to PM me your phone number if you want a freebie chat.

Best regards.

Thank you, i will PM you my number.

Lisa