medicare levy exemptions

Guest Sannie!

Guest Sannie!

Hi all, here again i've comeout with another set of questions expecting someone could help me out on this.

I was here on a 475 visa from a HR country that apparantly doesnt not have the reciprocal medicare access here. having been here for last two years I very recently applied and got my PR.

having got only job and worked for the same employer ever since i got in here I really have no much dramas in applying for my tax returns other than this medicare levy thing thats bugging me a bit..

1- having no access to medicare or any such things (luckily i havent fallen sick in last two years, that i ve never been to a doctor or even stepped into any pharmacy for that fact!! i wasnt even bothered to have any private insurance at all) - do i still, need to pay the medicare levy of 1.5 % of my gross pay? or am i eligible for medicare levy exemption?

2- if i am eligible for a medicare levy exemption, can i get back the amount that i've failed to claim during my last financial year's tax returns??

:skeptical:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cbeeb
Pretty sure the levy is a bit like insurance in itself. Even If you don't go to the doctors you still have to pay it and at 1.5% it's hardly a lot of money. Very much cheaper than national insurance in the uk that's for sure.

No,you pay it on top of what you already pay from your wages. if you earn over a certain amount you pay extra medicare, for us it worked out cheaper to take out private cover than to pay the extra levy. If you are single and earn over the threshhold check out private cover, you also do not have to pay loading if you have only just become permanant

• 2 weeks later...
Guest violet

Hi all, I was but puzzled by this Medicare levy exemption too. I am 475 holder and only be here for 6 months and am I entitle for this? It said if we are then we have to get a certificate of exemption from Medicare, can someone explain this to me? The tax return here got many questions and bit confuse for me. Thanks. Violet

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sannie!

Hi everyone, Sorry I am bit late getting back in here. Okey, from what I've understood from medicare australia is- yes, I rang them up otherday and people there are just so friendly helped m to know what I am eligible for. getting to the point- being on a 475 visa from a country that has no any reciprocal medicare access, I am eligible for medicare exemption- for the year 2010-2011 I'll be getting back all of the money paid for that entire year, and for 2011-2012 I am eligible to get back the money until I applied for my PR , cos' the day I apply for my PR i am eligible to medicare access ;-!!I applied for my PR on june 15th 2012 that way I will get my 1.5% back calculated upto june 14th 2012!!! woo..hoo that's quite a MONEY!!!

for more information here is the link.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/medicare-levy-exemption