my cost of living calc. Am i close??

Guest Kel87

Through research ive managed to calculate a rough sum of what our cost of living may be, im hoping ive over calculated and not under! As we are literally about to start the process (ielts next month!) im having doubting feelings that we wont survive on my income and it will be a huge factor in it all failing!

Ive posted before and had some good comments from people managing fine on a similar income to us however i also keep reading so many threads with people saying you need so much to live and its usually alot more than what il be earning!

As a nurse id be hoping for a salary of 65k using a calculator i get my take home pay as 3989pm

On top of this il have shift allowances, being on a pr visa we¨ll also get centrelink help. Anyone know howmuch for a family with my income and 2 children.

Due to childcare my husband wont work but he is hoping to get his security licence there and do some casual work on my days off but we wabt to budget without this as its not guaranteed.

So far my calculations are as follows, can you let me know which ones appear way off.

I understand as we will be renting we dont pay water or rates,is this correct?

Rent-400pw 1733pm

Elec- 125pm

Gas-62pm

Food-250pw by shopping around 1080pm

Car ins-50pm

Car rego-40pm

Petrol-125pm

Car service-20pm

School-33pm

Home contents ins-33pm

Life ins-20pm

Tv and internet-120pm no landline will use skype

X2 mobiles-60pm

Healtg ins-250pm

Am i close enough? Any major things ive missed out? Obviously tjings like petrol,food etc can vary.

Thankyou

Through research ive managed to calculate a rough sum of what our cost of living may be, im hoping ive over calculated and not under! As we are literally about to start the process (ielts next month!) im having doubting feelings that we wont survive on my income and it will be a huge factor in it all failing!

Ive posted before and had some good comments from people managing fine on a similar income to us however i also keep reading so many threads with people saying you need so much to live and its usually alot more than what il be earning!

As a nurse id be hoping for a salary of 65k using a calculator i get my take home pay as 3989pm

On top of this il have shift allowances, being on a pr visa we¨ll also get centrelink help. Anyone know howmuch for a family with my income and 2 children.

Due to childcare my husband wont work but he is hoping to get his security licence there and do some casual work on my days off but we wabt to budget without this as its not guaranteed.

So far my calculations are as follows, can you let me know which ones appear way off.

I understand as we will be renting we dont pay water or rates,is this correct?

Rent-400pw 1733pm - depending on area size of house but about right

Elec- 125pm - depending on usage ours is about 350 a quarter

Gas-62pm - as above ours is about 150 a quarter

Food-250pw by shopping around 1080pm - if you shop smart you can do it for a lot less

Car ins-50pm - about 35 per month for a Landcruiser

Car rego-40pm - as above

Petrol-125pm - depends what you drive we have a 4.5 leter and use a lot less

Car service-20pm - cant really put a figure on it

School-33pm - about right

Home contents ins-33pm - as above

Life ins-20pm - as above

Tv and internet-120pm no landline will use - Internet is 60 a month and TV is free

X2 mobiles-60pm - about right

Healtg ins-250pm - if you want it but not needed

Am i close enough? Any major things ive missed out? Obviously tjings like petrol,food etc can vary.

Thankyou

hope my info helps. Also kids clubs such as swimming, gymnastics etc can add up to quite a bit but on the plus side there are lots of free things to do here.

Guest Sachertorte

Many people on here will be saying yeah, no problem.

In our direct experience in the last 3 years, 3 families, friends of ours, had to return to the UK with similar salaries as they found themselves digging into their savings. They were used to a very different lifestyle in the UK (not certainly well off, but not needing to watch the pennies either)

Income is a biggie here- the cost of living is higher than that in the UK, so $65K don't afford the same spending power overall of 60 K GBP spent in the UK and that's pretty universally accepted.

It really depends what sacrifices you are prepared to make for the first few years (the length of the transition period being the period waiting for the youngest to reach school age, and from next year there are new rules, which will delay the start for some kids).

As The Bacons say swimming, dancing classes here are considerations.

Now, just my **own** 2-pence worth...

You might decide you don't want to budget for them, but the vast majority of kids attend them and these physical activities really help with their learning at school. We found classes are reasonably priced. Of course there are free activities, but those won't keep you entertained for years on end! In the winter it might be difficult to get out to parks, so nothing physical to do for a week or so may wear thin. It can get very muddy often between Jun-August, and of course there will be beautiful dry spells, but some winters ar really wet (IMHO).

Not to rain on anyone's parade, please understand, but I think knowing a few things can help someone making plans and get prepared.

Hope you get a top salary and a good deal!

Best of luck!!!:wink:

Edited by Sachertorte

It's the same as the UK. Different circumstances for different people with different requirements. Whether you find it dearer or cheaper here will depend on where you are coming from and where you want to move to and your lifestyle. Jobs play an important part to, some pay more some about the same. It's horses for courses.

Guest nu5687

I am a nurse been here for 7 years ,and you will earn much more than basic 65k, with the proviso that you are full time and have fair amount of experience. im full time with unsocial hours its considerably more.

Cost of living is high but wages for nurses much more than uk. Feel free to contact me if you want more specific details

My input, for what it's worth.

Rent - depends on where you want to live. You could spend less than that. Check out realeastate.com for a realistic view of what rents cost in the areas tou are considering.

Electric - will depend a lot on the house you are in. Ours has halogen downlights and and ducted reverse cycle air con and our first electricity bill was over $350 for six weeks. The following three months we out the main lights on a lot less and used our lamps with energy saving bulbs in the evening, put the heating/air con on less and generally tried to be more carefull with electricity. Our second electricity bill was about $350 for three months. The next one will be much higher because all the hot weather recently means we a having to put the air con on rather a lot.

TV and broadband - we just have a free view box and watch free to air TV and our broadband costs us just over $40 a month. We do have to have a telstra land line though which we usually spend about $40 a month on.

Mobiles - we don't use our mobiles very often and just have pre paid sims (a bit like pay as you go in the UK). We usually only spend $19 every two to three months each on them.

Food - I spend on average about $270 a week on food for two adults and two kids, which includes sandwiches to take to school/work and a bottle of (cheap) wine every week.

Health Insurance - we pay $97 a fortnight with Health Partners for health insurance and extras cover. We have the silver option on both but you can pay more and get greater benefits. The jury is out on whether the hospital cover is worth it but the extras cover is good if you wear glasses or are likely to need much in the way of dental work.

School - our school charges around $400 a year per child and this includes pretty much everything except uniform and a backpack. We don't have to provide any paper or pens or anything. My youngest has even been given a book bag and a library book bag that is included in the fees. Not sure what other schools are like though.

In terms of what you will get from centrelink, this will depend on your actual earnings, but there is a calculator on the website. If your husband doesn't work at all then you will be eligable for both family tax credits. I can't remember which is which, but one of them you only get if one of you is a stay at home parent. The centrelink website will give you more info on this.

Personally I think you will be fine on your earnings. We recently had a spell where we were living on my earnings of $54500 a year. We got about $335 a fortnight from centrelink but we weren't eligable for the stay at home parent part of the tax credit because my OH had worked during the tax year and earned more than the limit. We pay $420 a week in rent and around $360 a month on a mortgage on a block of land. I did a full proper budget to include our costs and while things were tight I worked out that we were able to manage on my salary for a few months without having to dip in to savings. We couldn't live on that permanently with our current outgoings but you will be earning at least $10k more than me and will get more from centrelink because you will be eligable for the additional family tax credit payment.

Thankyou all for your replies.

im sure 65k basic is the absolute minimum I will earn and that's why I want to budget on that much however I know it's likely I will earn more than that plus my shift allowances which seem pretty good compared to the UK and have either centrelink help or part time work for my husband if it works around my shifts.

I think after saving so hard to get where we are just now, I'm terrified of spending it all on the move only to realise when we get there that we can't even afford to stay and have to move back!

We just want to know that on my absolute minimum we'll be ok without having to struggle to pay bills or tell the kids they can't buy an ice cream when they want one, or can't go on a school trip, we don't mind having to sacrifice things, like cable tv, one car etc,if it means we'll get by each month ok and not have money worries.

We don't live the life of luxury in the UK but have enough to pay our bills without struggling, enough to take the kids to the cinema once a month, buy them sweets at the shop when asked etc, just the simple little things and that's all we'll be looking for in oz, we don't want to get there and realise that we don't have the money and either have to borrow from friends and family or come home!

I quess it's now that we are about to start the applications that I'm having the typical money doubts, I'm sure I'm not the only one who must go through this.

Thanks again for the replies.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Be prepared to pay for water too even when renting. In both our rentals we have had to pay all supply charges (about $73 a quarter) and all usage costs for water.

Guest barry family

Hi nu5687 im coming over on a 489 visa later in the year,could you please tell me if I get health care in adelaide for my family is it no good on this visa. Thanks for your time with this question

Guest vikkiann

We have 4 children and rent in aldinga beach. We spent loads when we got here but that was out of choice, i wanted a decent car, new furniture etc. However, when we moved here i put a lump sum in an account which is the deposit for a house when we finally find 1 i like to buy.

We survive on about 80k, we run 2 vehicles and eat and drink well!

Everyone has different views on finances, my food shopping isn't as higher as some others but i make everything from scratch as i did in England. We didn't get foxtel but got telstra home phone and 200gb internet which costs $90 per month. My electricity bill is the whopper... my last bill was $800 for a quarter, i'd learnt from my previous bill that was $1015 for 56 days because i had the heating running constantly, next winter we'll all be using blankets!!

Guest Sandra&Shaun

Hi Kel,

One thing that we noticed when we first came, although we both earned less here than in the UK, (and still do) and things cost more in comparison, because we were both monthly paid in the UK and seemed to have so many direct debits going out, there was always too much month left at the end of the money!! Now I am paid fortnightly and OH is paid weekly, we seem to budget better and still manage to save aswell. We definitely have a better lifestyle here, but how me manage it, I don't know!! I'm not complaining though!

Guest nu5687

i dont know the answer to that i came out 7 years ago on a 457 visa, 2 years later became permenant residents, then citizens, we had private health care organised on arriving. Below is part of the healthcare section from the 489 visa. im sure you will get a medicare card as uk has reciprocal agrrement but the services you can obtain i dont know im afraid.

Im sure if you contact medicare they will be able to advise you more appropriately.

Health Care

While you are on this visa you will not have access to Australia's Medicare scheme, unless your country of origin has a Reciprocal Heath Care Agreement with Australia, in which case you will have limited access to Medicare. Those who do not have access to Medicare are therefore responsible for all health care expenses incurred in Australia - in this case it is recommended to arrange private health insurance.

Be prepared to pay for water too even when renting. In both our rentals we have had to pay all supply charges (about $73 a quarter) and all usage costs for water.

When you paid for all supply charges you might can try to claim it back because that is a duty of your landlord!!!

He can only charge you for water usage costs but it's his obligation to pay the water supply charges. Seems to me some landlords are still greedy and will take advantage of new migrants=greenhorns

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
When you paid for all supply charges you might can try to claim it back because that is a duty of your landlord!!!

He can only charge you for water usage costs but it's his obligation to pay the water supply charges. Seems to me some landlords are still greedy and will take advantage of new migrants=greenhorns

Not so. The landlord is under no obligation to pay the water supply charges. Who pays what is specified on the lease agreement. Most of the houses we looked at before and on arrival stated water supply and usage to be paid.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
My electricity bill is the whopper... my last bill was $800 for a quarter, i'd learnt from my previous bill that was $1015 for 56 days because i had the heating running constantly, next winter we'll all be using blankets!!

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Yikes!!!

Yes, Wendy.

Guess what I got for Christmas?! A nice big pink fluffy fleece blanket!

lol, reading all these posts about the cold winters im planning on filling my 4k container with nothing more than huge duvets and extra thick blankets :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
lol, reading all these posts about the cold winters im planning on filling my 4k container with nothing more than huge duvets and extra thick blankets :biglaugh:

maybe we are tight but at home (yorkshire) we have our heating set at 18.c lol, we "might" knock it upto 20 when we are watching TV. but i seem to think working outdoors makes the hubby and I a bit numb to cold weather!

• 5 weeks later...
My input, for what it's worth.

Rent - depends on where you want to live. You could spend less than that. Check out realeastate.com for a realistic view of what rents cost in the areas tou are considering.

Electric - will depend a lot on the house you are in. Ours has halogen downlights and and ducted reverse cycle air con and our first electricity bill was over $350 for six weeks. The following three months we out the main lights on a lot less and used our lamps with energy saving bulbs in the evening, put the heating/air con on less and generally tried to be more carefull with electricity. Our second electricity bill was about $350 for three months. The next one will be much higher because all the hot weather recently means we a having to put the air con on rather a lot.

TV and broadband - we just have a free view box and watch free to air TV and our broadband costs us just over $40 a month. We do have to have a telstra land line though which we usually spend about $40 a month on.

Mobiles - we don't use our mobiles very often and just have pre paid sims (a bit like pay as you go in the UK). We usually only spend $19 every two to three months each on them.

Food - I spend on average about $270 a week on food for two adults and two kids, which includes sandwiches to take to school/work and a bottle of (cheap) wine every week.

Health Insurance - we pay $97 a fortnight with Health Partners for health insurance and extras cover. We have the silver option on both but you can pay more and get greater benefits. The jury is out on whether the hospital cover is worth it but the extras cover is good if you wear glasses or are likely to need much in the way of dental work.

School - our school charges around $400 a year per child and this includes pretty much everything except uniform and a backpack. We don't have to provide any paper or pens or anything. My youngest has even been given a book bag and a library book bag that is included in the fees. Not sure what other schools are like though.

In terms of what you will get from centrelink, this will depend on your actual earnings, but there is a calculator on the website. If your husband doesn't work at all then you will be eligable for both family tax credits. I can't remember which is which, but one of them you only get if one of you is a stay at home parent. The centrelink website will give you more info on this.

Personally I think you will be fine on your earnings. We recently had a spell where we were living on my earnings of $54500 a year. We got about $335 a fortnight from centrelink but we weren't eligable for the stay at home parent part of the tax credit because my OH had worked during the tax year and earned more than the limit. We pay $420 a week in rent and around $360 a month on a mortgage on a block of land. I did a full proper budget to include our costs and while things were tight I worked out that we were able to manage on my salary for a few months without having to dip in to savings. We couldn't live on that permanently with our current outgoings but you will be earning at least $10k more than me and will get more from centrelink because you will be eligable for the additional family tax credit payment.

Hi ya good lot of info I need

Hope u don't mind me asking do u pay water rates? Can't see anythink on this ?

Also heard of ambulance cover do we need to have this or can it be all in health cost

im a family of 4 , 5 year old and 2 year old looking to migrant on a 190 permanent skilled in oct to east /south depending on job ..

My partner is a welder, on around $70k, bit unsure on centerlink and benefits we will get or will we get ?? We are going to be renting furnished for few months until our stuff arrives then move on where we like and can afford !?? Is there areas like london where we wont be able to afford on 70k ?? Still doing my cost of living, and it's like rollercoaser!!

car rego ? Is this car instance ? Is there full comp ?? Do u lt pay car tax ? And MOT ? What about break down ??

Health insurance :- ok right help me !! Lol well we hardly go doctors or hospital .. But I have repeat percipietions for thyroxine, free in uk , also my contraception pill ! is there some kind of insurance at a monthy fee to pay all ??

Hi ya good lot of info I need

Hope u don't mind me asking do u pay water rates? Can't see anythink on this ?

Also heard of ambulance cover do we need to have this or can it be all in health cost

im a family of 4 , 5 year old and 2 year old looking to migrant on a 190 permanent skilled in oct to east /south depending on job ..

My partner is a welder, on around $70k, bit unsure on centerlink and benefits we will get or will we get ?? We are going to be renting furnished for few months until our stuff arrives then move on where we like and can afford !?? Is there areas like london where we wont be able to afford on 70k ?? Still doing my cost of living, and it's like rollercoaser!!

car rego ? Is this car instance ? Is there full comp ?? Do u lt pay car tax ? And MOT ? What about break down ??

Health insurance :- ok right help me !! Lol well we hardly go doctors or hospital .. But I have repeat percipietions for thyroxine, free in uk , also my contraception pill ! is there some kind of insurance at a monthy fee to pay all ??

On $70k you will get centrelink payments (family benefit). If only one of you is working then you will get family benefit A and B, which will probably be around $350 a fortnight. We do pay for water, but water is metered here so you pay for what you use. Some rentals include most water others you will pay everything.

There are areas where the housing costs would be more than you could afford, but to be honest it's fairly obvious which these are from the exceptionally large houses and high rent prices. :wink: Check out realestate.com.au for an idea of rental and sale prices in different areas. One thing to watch for is you can rent homes in some areas for reasonable prices but if you then wanted to buy the house prices are much less affordable.

Car rego is a bit like road tax in the UK, but it includes an element of compulsory insurance. I'm not sure what this insurance covers, but it's still a good idea to get fully comp insurance on top. There is no MoT or equivalent here.

There are quite a few threads on here about whether health insurance is worth it or not. I'm still in the undecided camp myself, but we do have it. Perscriptions aren't covered by health insurance though. It is however worth shopping around as some chemists charge more than others for the same drugs. Our health insurance costs us $97.77 a fortnight for hospital and extras cover for 2 adults and 2 kids.