Gluten free food

Guest Irishblondie

Guest Irishblondie

Hi

Not sure where to post this...

So sorry if its in the wrong place!!

Is there a gluten free section in the supermarkets over there in adelaide.

It's sometimes hard to find things here.

I'm just interested to know what the variety is like and if I need to bring stacks of things with me.

Guest magicsprout

some small gluten free sections in the supermarkets, things are well labelled on the shelves as well, and foodland does do some scrummy gluten free caramel tarts im rather addicted to.

and foodland does do some scrummy gluten free caramel tarts im rather addicted to.

Really? whereabouts are they?

Even the quite small foodland stores often have a surprising amount of gluten free goods. Coles is not bad but I have not been impressed with woolworths collection. There is not as much here though as in the UK but I would not bother bringing food over - you will run out at some point!

Guest magicsprout
Really? whereabouts are they?

Even the quite small foodland stores often have a surprising amount of gluten free goods. Coles is not bad but I have not been impressed with woolworths collection. There is not as much here though as in the UK but I would not bother bringing food over - you will run out at some point!

in the freezer section, caramel top with creamy stuff inside mmmm sickly sweet and fab PMTfood

When we came out on a reccie last year my mum came with us, she is a coeliac and was quite impressed with the gluten free ranges in both Coles and woolworths, plus food is better labelled than the uk so you will find it in most aisles. Check out unley there is a gluten free only shop which has a little cafe in as well, the bread they do is amazing you wouldn't know it was gluten free and doesn't have to be refreshed. And there is a gluten free bakery on the tram line from Glenelg to town centre I can't remember the name.

we didn't have to take out any food as most of the cafes and bars say on the menu and can offer gluten options.

Guest Irishblondie

Oh that's great to know thanks a million :) can't wait to go to that cafe and try the bread!! Sounds delicious! There's much more choice now with gluten free food but then sometimes it's like trying to find needle in a haystack lol xxxx

Guest Crushfamily

DS2 is allergic to wheat and gluten. one thing that is far better here is that most of the sausages (snags) are gluten free having a much higher meat content than the UK. The gluten free bread here however is very pricey at $7-8 a small loaf.

Guest Susie&Simon

One of the reasons we decided to move is because we have coeliacs in the family and it is SO much better over here :smile:

All the supermarkets have GF in their health food sections: pasta, cake mixes, biscuits etc and the bread, wraps etc in most of them are just amongst the "normal" stuff. Lots of the standard sausages, bacon, ham etc are all clearly marked "Gluten free" so no having to check the defensive labelling in the small print all the time. What we really, really love though is that just about every little coffee shop has GF cake available and the majority of restaurants have "GF" clearly marked next to suitable items on their menu and if not are really happy to give you a run down of what you can have. So much easier and less of a stress for our teenagers who hate to have to ask and draw attention to themselves! Even ordering pizza is no big deal as firms like Dominoes have it all sussed with GF bases and a list of which toppings are OK.

So forget about bringing stuff with you (NB they are rather strict about bringing food into the country anyway!) - infact rather the opposite as we have taken things back with us when returning to UK.

Good luck with your move!

Guest Chris_J

If you're ever in the city, go into Central Market and look for Goodies and Grains. It's a health food shop that sells some gluten free brownies and other puddings as well as bread etc.