Have you managed with less than 10k

Guest laura coldwell

Guest laura coldwell

Hello everyone,

I hope your all doing well and plans are coming together nicely.. My husband and I are all set to go in August. Visa in place, Flights booked, shippers paid for, Somewhere to stay for the first month and a job on arrival however, we planned on taking around £10000 with us but you know how it is, something always comes up.

we have moved into a caravan on a nice cold hill to help us save but its looking that we will have more around the £7k mark. I know it will be tight but we are masters at budgeting and I think we will be OK. Can anyone tell me if they have done it with less than £10k?

Cheers all,

laura xxx

Guest vikkiann

Do you have children?

We spent a fortune when we got here but that was because I wanted a safe car to put the kids in, new furniture because we had a much bigger house and paid 2 months rent upfront.

However, part of us doing this was to give the kids a comfortable home. If we didn't have them, we wouldn't have spent as much, if that makes sense?

I do know people though who have turned up with 5k and kids and done it.

Vikki

Guest hoops677

Hi we arrived with 2 kids and $7,000. Hubbies company gave us a hire car for the first two weeks and put us up in an hotel. We managed!! Very lucky that we had friends that put us up for a week whilst we found a rental as the places we looked at were hell on earth. Were very lucky that the people we rented off were storing all their gear in the garden shed and were happy to rent the house out fully furnished for only $10 more a week than unfurnished till the container arrived.

It is manageable especially as you have paid for housing for a month and have a job to go to. A car is the big expense we spent a lot more than we thought we would have to and the car is a shed!!

Good luck xx

Guest laura coldwell

Hi Guys,

No, no kids for us just two small furry dogs (one of which I am mad at because she just ate my yogurt when I wasn't looking)...

I have looked at cars and from the money we have I plan on using $2000 or going without until my first few wages come about (I will be getting paid weekly at $38ph excluding unsociable hours).

This is my breakdown maybe you can tell me if i am being unrealistic?

Furniture $1000 (we plan on buying lots of 2nd hand but want new mattressess)

8 weeks rent and bond $4500

Car $2000

Food and lifestyle for a few weeks $1000

Drivers licences $200

Travel Costs $400

Total around the 6kgbp mark xx

Guest laura coldwell
Have you budgeted for dog flights and quarantine?

Hello magicsprout,

Yeah they are all paid for and we have separate cash for the vet fees on the other side. Do you think it will be ok?? xx

Guest magicsprout

Pretty tight if you get straight to work live on beans on toast and get the cheapest shed of a car. Dont forget you meed petrol and rego. But it seems otjers have mamaged. Sorry abput typos. On phone at work

Guest laura coldwell
Pretty tight if you get straight to work live on beans on toast and get the cheapest shed of a car. Dont forget you meed petrol and rego. But it seems otjers have mamaged. Sorry abput typos. On phone at work

ave t

Ha ha no worries :) The plan is bread and water and ill be starting work within the month so i think we will be OK, well we have to be OK so we will be xx

Guest PaulandVicky

Laura, you will be fine if your starting work. The second hand furniture: I would recommend buying new or looking around 2nd hand websites and barter ... dont be afraid of doing this, you will certainly be ripped off!!!

The folk here will expect to be paid $$$ for cr@&.... Guy wanted $100 for a 1940's custard coloured (probably pi&@ed stained) arm chair,was leathered but shagged to bits....and no we didnt buy, very tempting... not. Lol. :eek:

depends if you think it's worth/valued at that price... I don't think you would see things like what you see here "garage sales" even on uks ebay, it will either be in the wheelie bin or skip!

Its a case of looking around. If your planning on staying forever, i would get new!. They will deliver etc and saves you starting all over again from old to new..... The task does get tiring and boring over time and you do jus end up with anything and spending odds on it cos it does get boring.... I'm a woman and like to shop, but it does do your head in after some time.

Like i said, you will be working so you will be fine. Be prepared that electric, food shop, cars - is/are expensive.

Good luck

Guest laura coldwell
Laura, you will be fine if your starting work. The second hand furniture: I would recommend buying new or looking around 2nd hand websites and barter ... dont be afraid of doing this, you will certainly be ripped off!!!

The folk here will expect to be paid $$$ for cr@&.... Guy wanted $100 for a 1940's custard coloured (probably pi&@ed stained) arm chair,was leathered but shagged to bits....and no we didnt buy, very tempting... not. Lol. :eek:

depends if you think it's worth/valued at that price... I don't think you would see things like what you see here "garage sales" even on uks ebay, it will either be in the wheelie bin or skip!

Its a case of looking around. If your planning on staying forever, i would get new!. They will deliver etc and saves you starting all over again from old to new..... The task does get tiring and boring over time and you do jus end up with anything and spending odds on it cos it does get boring.... I'm a woman and like to shop, but it does do your head in after some time.

Like i said, you will be working so you will be fine. Be prepared that electric, food shop, cars - is/are expensive.

Good luck

Ha ha that sofa sounds amazing, however did you resist :eek:?? well I keep going onto my fella about how a house should be a home and after a few months of splashing out here and there for stuff to ship I have ended up with this IMG_1639.jpg

So this means I wont need ANY soft furnishings on arrival however Mark (hubbie) is worried that my pre Australia spending habits may have just rendered us homeless. I have reassured him that It wont be that bad as at least we have owl shaped cushions to sleep on haha.

To be fair I have looked at IKEA online and I can see that the bed i have at the moment isnt too much xx

Guest PaulandVicky

Very tempting..."for the skip"!!!!!!!!!!! Lol.

That's brill. All in the photo, that's all you need. Lol.

Yep, ikea can have some great things and at reasonable prices (sometimes). Good option. Get ya self a blue bag,funny trolly,pencil and paper...and your off. Yep. There is a secret door here too if you get tired of it. (For the males)!!

Guest laura coldwell
Very tempting..."for the skip"!!!!!!!!!!! Lol.

That's brill. All in the photo, that's all you need. Lol.

Yep, ikea can have some great things and at reasonable prices (sometimes). Good option. Get ya self a blue bag,funny trolly,pencil and paper...and your off. Yep. There is a secret door here too if you get tired of it. (For the males)!!

Hahahaha, the actual worst.

well I thought so too BUT this did not go down well when the savings book was found, as you can imagine.

You will see me in IKEA using my blue bag as a duvet, eating the pencil and sleeping in the trolley BUT ill have that owl cushion and be the envy of all....

Seriously though, its good to know ill be OK. Sometimes the PIO forum scares me when people say youll need no less than a lottery windfall to succeed in Aus. x

Guest milne family

I dont suppose you can ever have enough money and some people will convince you you need a fortune, but you sound very positive and i think if you have the right mindset and are determined then it wont be a problem, do have a house sale or rental income to help till you are settled? At least you have a job which is half the battle and one less stress on your mind.

hi we arrived here last 2009 me and hubby plus 3 kids on 6000 gbp, I started work 2 weeks after we arrived, got us a second hand car on finance, hubby didn't get a job til 3-4 months after we arrived , got a rented accommodation...we live sleeping on the floor and eating on a paper plate...you can survive ur first few months if you are not really fuzz, u have to sacrifice a little bit to gain, then after that we managed to buy some furnitures ...it can be done if you really put yur heart and mind on it...

You say that you have to be okay and therefore will be, and I'd agree with that. There's no doubt that some people arrive here with very little (or nothing) and come out the other side. Got to be honest, though, it's not what I'd choose to do; it's hard enough moving across the world at the best of times, but I wouldn't be brave enough doing it without a bit more of a financial cushion. As you've got a job lined up I think it's far less of an issue, but there'll be plenty of things not on your list that will eat into what finances you've got.

Oh, and if you can buy new mattresses (plural) with what's left over of the $1k on second hand furniture - let me know where you found them!

Jim

This is my breakdown maybe you can tell me if i am being unrealistic?

8 weeks rent and bond $4500

Car $2000

Food and lifestyle for a few weeks $1000

Drivers licences $200

Travel Costs $400

Total around the 6kgbp mark xx

Save on the license, you don't need one for a few months.

BUT you will struggle to get a car for $2000

Gumtree will be your saviour.

Guest laura coldwell

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the replies :) I dont have any other form of income hwever my mum is coming out end of Oct for 3 months so maybe she will feel bad for us and buy us a couple of bits haha.

I know it will be tight but im up for a challenge and what is it they say? Anything worth doing is a challenge (I hope thats right ha ha)

we plan on renting a 2 bed in Glenelg area so we can get into the city quite easy, iv seen some OK ones for around $350 which is our budget. I am believer of you should have a nice place to go to at the end of a rubbish day at work. Nice environment = positive mind.

Iv been looking at cars on gumtree and have my eye set on a beautiful ford falcon 97 plate ha...

xxx

Well if it makes you feel better we're arriving with £10k two kids and no jobs!

Oh good luck! I have been worrying about meeting the $40k funds requirement but reading that there are a lot of people going with less than the required amount definitely makes me feel better about it!

We came with a lot more than that.. but because we did not have a job to start with.. I think you have a job straight away you will be ALL RIGHT. You could always adapt to the situation when facing with the reality. Even though I quite agree with other about car. When we came in 2010, we bought our 2000 Ford Laser for 6500 dollars plus insurance 500, rego around 200-300... So I am sure about quality of the 1997 $ 2000 car.

Guest Chris_J

Should be fine in all honesty, we have 1 child and did it on about £13k but we had a holiday in Perth for 2 weeks first then it was another 2 weeks before I started work and 2 weeks later I got paid. We stayed in short term rental for 8 weeks when we arrived in Adelaide and also managed to pay our bond out of that too on the place we're in now. Bought a car too, which came to something like $8000 AU. Your Husband has a job to go to so should be absolutely fine but depends how much less than £10k you have......

If you want cheap furniture, try Le Cornu. We got a queen size (UK king) bed from there for about $300 with a mattress and it's not a bad mattress either. We bought an outdoor table and chair set to have meals until our furniture arrived, and Wife bought pots and pans for about $11 from Cheap as Chips, mega cheap and nasty knives and forks and plastic bowls and plates.

Hi Laura

Sorry to jump into your conversation but saw that you have been buying things over here ready to go over there, very much like myself. However I have gone a step further than you and bought bedroom furniture for my room and my daughters as at home it's all in built and thought buy it her and save money when we get to oz. The question is are we allowed or do need to declare it and pay tax. Like you money tight so just trying to save a little.

Thanks kathy ( shopaholic) x x

Hi guys, just a thought. Glenelg is a very expensive place to live. Move further out and buy a better car. There are plenty of duel fuel (petrol/auto gas) available for around $5000. Just pick the right one. You only need to get a years use out of it then, when you're settled, chop it in for the car of your choice. You'll only loose a couple of grand that way.

As for furniture, Le Cornu's has been mentioned but don't go to their main show rooms. Look out back for discontinued lines. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

BTW, by the time you get here, the railway line might be open all the way out the Seaford.