Currency advice - UK or AUS?

guspjmh

Well, our reccie is now only 4 weeks away and our timing in terms of GBP v AUD could not be worse!

Not sure whether rates will continue to plummet, but generally is it cheaper to get the money in the UK or wait until I am in Oz? We won't be changing a huge amount, as I will mainly be using a special credit card.

Cheers, Gus.

I doubt it will matter much for a small amount. Nowhere is going to give you a special rate. Some places will charge a crappy rate and zero commission, other places will give you a slightly better rate but then charge a fee.

Personally if you have a pre paid card to use for most of your spending I'd change it before you go so you don't have to faff once you land and look for a FE or bank.

I doubt it will matter much for a small amount. Nowhere is going to give you a special rate. Some places will charge a crappy rate and zero commission, other places will give you a slightly better rate but then charge a fee.

Personally if you have a pre paid card to use for most of your spending I'd change it before you go so you don't have to faff once you land and look for a FE or bank.

Cheers. I don't have a charge card as such, just a credit card which charges nothing for foreign transactions and bills at the (exact) current exchange rate without a commission.

I will still need about 1500AUD in cash though, so not sure whether I will get a better deal in the UK or over there.

There are ATM's in Adelaide Airport. You can get cash there. I think the commision is more if you go to a bank in UK.

I have given up trying to get any foreign cash before I travel, that includes UK and Europe.

I just use the ATM's at the airport when I arrive and draw cash each week as I want it.

This is mainly because I once "lost" about $400, while I was travelling. I now only carry what I need for the week and use my credit card for all hotels, meals and transport.