Ship the car? How easy is it to get a car on finance with no Oz credit history

Guest emmamichaelbrown

Guest emmamichaelbrown

We are planning on emigrating over in December this year and I am currently looking at whether or not it will be worth shipping our car over. I just wondered how easy it is to buy a car in Adelaide on finance as it would be a big initial outlay. Is credit easy to get when we will obviously have no credit history in Australia and over in the UK finance is hard to get with no credit history?

We have 4 boys so will need a 7 seater car and when we came over in November, we were told that 7 seaters are pricey over in Oz, but our car is 7 years old now and the shipping costs seem really high. Also, what do we do whilst the car is in transit - car rental again is really high.

Has anyone any tips?

thanks

Emma and Michael:confused:

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi!

there was recently someone on here who had devised a calculator to work out if it was worth shipping your car over here based i think on what car, age of car, value in uk and oz and shipping costs etc. i cant remember who it was or nor can i find the thread but hopefully someone remembers and can point you in the right direction!

claire:)

If you can make the car work for you on the way over it might be doable. An uncle of mine bought an old furniture van(many years ago) and loaded it with all his worldly possessions. Had it shipped to Aus as deck cargo (not sure if possible nowadays). Although the van was slightly salt damaged, all his belongings were safe and sound, and the van was used for several years buy being converted to a make shift mobile home for holidays.

Ergo, if it's cheap enough to hire a small shipping container, load EVERYTHING in the car and around it. Be sure to drain all fuel first but.

you dont really stand much chance of getting finance with no history.

is it worth shipping?

what condition is it in, has it got air con.. that works well.. in the uk... if not.. i would just forget it. (oh and this will have to be degased in the uk and refilled here.. not much change from $200. to refill.

some shippers want it to have all the fulids out. oils etc. some ship as hazardous cargo.

you will be without the car for the best part of three months.

car hire is cheaper if you do it in large blocks months or so at a time.

some shippers will build a frame over the top of the car to put stuff... some will not....

customs dont like stuff in the car...

the car has to be spot less inside and out.... one of their test is to run their hand under the lip of the wheel arch.. any dirt and off it goes for steam cleaning at your cost.

if you pack stuff around the car even a mattress and there touching you will loose the paint. in the 12000 miles (yes it further by sea)

the ozzies want the car to be the same spec as in their market. most of it will be the same but its always the little things they get you on and when you go for a inspection. which you will have too do, they will be looking for things you will never have thought of. but its a one off inspection no mots each year. you can get a day permit to drive it for inspection on british plate still. $50 each time.

you can pay for some one to do it all for you.. too

the ozzies have little child restraint bracket on the parcel shelve. or on the back of the seat. you must have these.

braided brake pipes with no numbers on another big no no.

I bought a car on finance with a $500 deposit. Although I bought a much smaller car than what u want (ford fiesta) I got the car after working in a permanent job for a month and 3 weeks prior of a temp job so I had some proof of income. The dealers did "build in a deposit" for me to make the finance work which although never confirmed to me sounds like they made it look like I bought a bigger more expensive car. Most of the staff at the dealership had emigrated themselves so knew how frustrating it could be and were happy to help.