Absolutely GUTTED :-( Police fine $435 !!!

Guest ojeelani

Guest ojeelani

I am so so so soooooooo UPSET...I have just been fined $435 for Slowing but not stopping at a STOP sign !!!

It was 8AM in the morning. There was this unmarked police car waiting for me...I slowed right down but there were no cars so turned left......

I am....in a nutshell VERY SAD :-( ..........can i appeal ? can i bring the fine down ?

SIGH !!!!! :-) Thanks for 'listening' !

Oh BTW did I mention My AC is broken down :P

Edited by ojeelani

I'm so sorry - it's one of those little known rules that I'm sure the powers that be make deliberately little known just so they can raise a bit of revenue when they need it - a bit like the $370 fine we got a couple of years ago when we had a bike on the rack on the back of the car - not obscuring the numberplate at all - but didn't have a separate plate mounted on the bike rack!

Not a lot of chance of getting it reduced on appeal unfortunately - at a Stop sign you have to come to a complete stop. That's the rules. You're not the first and I'm sure you won't be the last. I just wish they'd concentrate on the many cases of bad and dangerous driving you see all over the place instead, but I'm sure someone will be along to tell us how potentially dangerous your action might have been... <sigh>

Commiserations anyway.

Guest ojeelani

Awwww thanks so much for your reply...Yup you are right...better to forget and 'forgive' ha ! ha !...

Taking kids to watch OZ - great and good now .....

I just posted a rather long thread and sadly it vanished.

pm me and I'll give you some advice if you want some on what options you have.

a little known rule, STOP is pretty well known from my experince...

Oh and Diane your not alone with the revenue argument, I think they play that one often...:-(

Lets face it if she pulled out in front of you and caused a serious accident, I think your argument would be a silly one to raise and one you may not feel appropriate. Thankfully it wasn't but it could have been a more serious charge and outcome.

much easier to blame the cops who do a s..t job, who come along to families deliver death messages and explain it was a silly mistake that just wiped out a family.

sigh away and lets hope the revenue raisers keep doing there job. Lets face it if the driving standards here were better, they could spend more time eating donuts and beating up innocent people and taking their time to respond to an urgent call.

having been there and done that, I would much rather spend my time dealing with rapists, child molesters and real criminals.

id much rather give Everybody true value for the taxes you pay for my wages!!

I think the "Give Way" sign is one that you can slow down on - they are littered around but mostly on back streets. I guess the "Stop" signs are where you are about to join onto a major junctions and they want you to come to a full stop. Anyway my commiserations too - it's a big fine. Thanks for your post - it's a good reminder.

Guest ojeelani

Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my sob story :-) ... Yes please some advise regarding this would be great...

Thanks

Oranooce

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.The same thing happened to a good friend 2 weeks ago,a motorcycle cop sat obscured by Cars at a stop junction hammered him for $424,and many others that day apparently.Of course we are all aware of road safety,and the need to enforce rules,however nothing will convince me that the Police here are not revenue making on a grand scale,basically taking the pi..,and not concentrating on hounding the real bad tailgating speed freaks we see everyday. The fines also are outrageous,its like'We can,so we will'Just an observation!

Guest jorose

In the days when you had to have a written test to get your Aus driving licence, my relative failed on the question "what should you do when you approach a stop sign?" "Stop" he answered. He failed. Why? Because he failed to say "Stop behind the white line". In North Adelaide there is a side street where if you stop behind the white line all you can see are the buildings in your line of vision whether turning left or right. I often thought of my relative's lack of detail when I used to frequent this street. "Stop behind the white line....bugger the fact that you can see bugger all". "It's a pass Sir".

Guest Kazzarazza

Maybe the police should teach their own trainees the road rules. Every morning, without fail, there are cars that go through a stop sign at Strathfield Tce/Military Rd. And every morning, without fail, 90% of them drive round the next corner and turn straight into the Fort Largs Police Academy!! :wacko:

Guest patsmb
I am so so so soooooooo UPSET...I have just been fined $435 for Slowing but not stopping at a STOP sign !!!

It was 8AM in the morning. There was this unmarked police car waiting for me...I slowed right down but there were no cars so turned left......

I am....in a nutshell VERY SAD :-( ..........can i appeal ? can i bring the fine down ?

Same happened to hubby years ago -on the way to a funeral -cop shrugged and still wrote out the ticket !

I think the "Give Way" sign is one that you can slow down on - they are littered around but mostly on back streets. I guess the "Stop" signs are where you are about to join onto a major junctions and they want you to come to a full stop. Anyway my commiserations too - it's a big fine. Thanks for your post - it's a good reminder.

The problem is that there are 'stop' signs on minor roads where it would be more appropriate for a 'give way'. This is often where the hidden motorcyclist is - they only ever wait where they are more likely to catch a lot of people, hence it is probably an inappropriate 'stop' sign but a moneyspinner.

I think the "Give Way" sign is one that you can slow down on - they are littered around but mostly on back streets. .

Hahaha! No. I received a $430? fine for apparently 'Failing to Give Way' at a Give Way sign at Collonades car park - you know, the bit where the public road bisects the car park. Anyway, I'd only been in the car a couple of minutes, saw the police car to my left, had right of way and drove to the Give Way sign. The police vehicle followed me out, saw me slow down enough to check there was no vehicle on the road - there was nothing in either direction - drive onto the road, then pulled me over. I didn't even know what the problem was until they gave me the piece of paper!

I appealed, which is pointless as the appeals section in SA is apparently run by the police (lol), and the reply I got indicated the police car had had to brake suddenly because of my 'failure to give way'.Still haven't figured out how as they were behind me as I approached the Give Way sign.

I have only ever, EVER had one speeding fine (and then I was a miserable 5k over, but I deserved it so I'm not complaining) and have never caused an accident (seen plenty in my rear view mirror lol!).

BUT, even though that $430? fine represented most of my week's earnings and even though I still moan about it, the police do a fantastic job and even the one that gave me the $loody $uggery ticket was super-nice.

So, Ratters, I appreciate that disregarding signs can be potentially fatal, but it would appear that neither the OP nor I did disregard the signs. And I actually feel that the police force is extremely good value for money, although I would love to see more money invested rather than the continual cuts to service.

I feel your pain, Ojeelani!

:wubclub: LC

Hahaha! No. I received a $430? fine for apparently 'Failing to Give Way' at a Give Way sign at Collonades car park - you know, the bit where the public road bisects the car park. Anyway, I'd only been in the car a couple of minutes, saw the police car to my left, had right of way and drove to the Give Way sign. The police vehicle followed me out, saw me slow down enough to check there was no vehicle on the road - there was nothing in either direction - drive onto the road, then pulled me over. I didn't even know what the problem was until they gave me the piece of paper!

I appealed, which is pointless as the appeals section in SA is apparently run by the police (lol), and the reply I got indicated the police car had had to brake suddenly because of my 'failure to give way'.Still haven't figured out how as they were behind me as I approached the Give Way sign.

:wubclub: LC

Interesting that they did that LC, and I wonder if you could have appealed it successfully because I had to look it up - we have a Give Way sign just 50 metres from our home and I slow down and if clear go ahead. Only stop if someone is coming from left or right. The rules say on the "Give Way"

"When you are faced with a Give Way sign, you must slow down and, if necessary, stop your vehicle in order to Give Way. The rule about giving way at a Give Way sign is described (Example 19)." and that's from this website http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/the_online_drivers_handbook/signs which is the government website. A bit strange.

I don't think anyone would argue the reasons why we need the rules to be followed they are for everyones' safety but if you are following the road rules in relation to Give Way signs then it seems tough that you get fined for it. The OP was different issue as it was a STOP sign.

Edited by Toni

No wonder the standard of driving here is so bad if having to stop at a stop sign is regarded as a 'little known rule'. :goofy:

'Stop' isn't about slowing down, it's about coming to a complete standstill. There are some strange places for the signs over here (and badly placed white lines that you couldn't realistically stop behind if you want to see what's coming), and SA does love to raise revenue (that's not the same as saying the police love doing it), but come on, if you fail to stop at a stop sign there's not much to complain about if you get caught!

There is a STOP sign on one of my backstreet routes home from work. I do always Stop there (d'oh) but it's really badly placed so when you are stopped you can't actually see properly into the road you are joining. So you have to Stop, then move forward a few feet, then Stop again (over the Stop line) so you can see the oncoming traffic! Absolutely stupidly placed sign and line but I bet if one day I decided just to Stop where I actually needed to, and not twice, that would be the day the unmarked police would be waiting.

Would you have stooped the wheels turning if the police car had not been unmarked?

BTW an unbroken white line means stop even if there is no stop sign.

If I had my way the penalty for failing to stop would be death.

I think the standard of driving in Adelaide is no worse then in the UK and can understand the high fines. It's a real deterrent and it makes me stick to the speed limits like glue which I did not do in the UK as no one did. I have a stop sign 50 yards from my house and make sure I stop and even if clear wait for 5 seconds.

Guest ojeelani

Hi .. thanks for replying to my post. but seriously $435 is excessive...UK doesn't have such high fines. I don't mind the fact that i got stopped by the police. neither do i mind being given a fine....just not such a large sum !!! .speeding is different, parking on the wrong side of the road...i can understand.... but being stopped early in the morning.... on a bank holiday when not a car is in sight and when it can easily be seen that i am driving with care and common sense...just frustrates me :-)

Anyway.....we live and learn but it is an expensive lesson....!

I would advice all who are coming to OZ to read the 'Government of SA - Drivers Handbook' thoroughly...

Thanks...

I do not think there is any doubt that you should stop at a stop sign and no one is suggesting otherwise but really, how long do you have to stop for? In a road where you can see clearly that there is no traffic what should you do? Count 10 seconds in case there is a hidden policeman? I know someone who stopped albeit fleetingly on a completely empty minor road which has good vision and got fined for not stopping - well how on earth could he approve otherwise?

Guest Claire-n-tel
Hi .. thanks for replying to my post. but seriously $435 is excessive...UK doesn't have such high fines. I don't mind the fact that i got stopped by the police. neither do i mind being given a fine....just not such a large sum !!! .speeding is different, parking on the wrong side of the road...i can understand.... but being stopped early in the morning.... on a bank holiday when not a car is in sight and when it can easily be seen that i am driving with care and common sense...just frustrates me :-)

Anyway.....we live and learn but it is an expensive lesson....!

I would advice all who are coming to OZ to read the 'Government of SA - Drivers Handbook' thoroughly...

Thanks...

A stop sign here means exactly the same as in the uk, ie come to a complete stop.

$400+ may seem excesive but i wonder how many more people would be detered from repeating their mistake than if it was a $30 fine?