CENTERLINK PAYMENTS FOR STATE SPONSORED VISAS (176 or 190)

talentedali

Hi

It might sound stupid, but i have no information about that. Some one told me that if one is having state sponsored visa (176 or 190). He/She is not entitled for any center-link payment for the period of first two years. Is this right?

Please guide me.

Thank you and best regards

Guest Guest6899
Hi

It might sound stupid, but i have no information about that. Some one told me that if one is having state sponsored visa (176 or 190). He/She is not entitled for any center-link payment for the period of first two years. Is this right?

Please guide me.

Thank you and best regards

Were on a 176 visa and have received center link payments like rent assistance and child benefit since being here.

Guest Guest6899
We are on 489 visa and hoping to arrive soon. Got two kids 6 & 3 yrs. Could we expect any Center link payments until we get settled.

Please Advise.

i think if its a permanent visa then you are entitled to some payments if its temporary then not.. you should though have enough to support yourself when you arrive for up to 2yrs and not rely on the system, its not cheap here. i will let somebody else confirm what you are asking.

Guest Ajwilko27

My visa was temp for 2 yrs and I wasn't entitled to anything, u have to be a permanent resident or citizen to be able to claim, or so I was told by centerlink.

The correct answer to your question is: No migrant and even some Australian citizens gets centrelink payment in the first 2 years of settlement.

Permanent resident = newly arrived resident's waiting period of two years. Even if you've worked a year fulltime you don't get any benefits. You have to serve your 2 years waiting period first. This prohibition period was introcuded in the 90s due to a high amount of unwanted migrants into Australias health and welfare system. When you have a child/children you're only entiteld for the family assistance payments from centrelink. There is no rent assistance for adults, it is only true for the child which is not very much.

457 Visas even don't get children benefits. They get nothing at all until becoming PRs after 2 years.

And also some Australians get nothing from centrelink for 6 months when they've lived abroad for a long period and return to Australia, even Australians are blocked for benefits for 6 months.

Google newly arrived waiting period then you'll get good information regarding your concerns and questions. www.welfarerights.org.au or www.humanservices.gov.au

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Rabeah

Guest Max_vn
The correct answer to your question is: No migrant and even some Australian citizens gets centrelink payment in the first 2 years of settlement.

Permanent resident = newly arrived resident's waiting period of two years. Even if you've worked a year fulltime you don't get any benefits. You have to serve your 2 years waiting period first. This prohibition period was introcuded in the 90s due to a high amount of unwanted migrants into Australias health and welfare system. When you have a child/children you're only entiteld for the family assistance payments from centrelink. There is no rent assistance for adults, it is only true for the child which is not very much.

457 Visas even don't get children benefits. They get nothing at all until becoming PRs after 2 years.

And also some Australians get nothing from centrelink for 6 months when they've lived abroad for a long period and return to Australia, even Australians are blocked for benefits for 6 months.

Google newly arrived waiting period then you'll get good information regarding your concerns and questions. www.welfarerights.org.au or www.humanservices.gov.au

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Rabeah

I migrated to Adelaide 3 years on TR, 475 visa. I got PR last Dec, 887 and started my master course last March. But the bad thing was I lost my job today. Now Im looking for any assistance from center link as Austudy or unemployment benefits. Im not sure if I have to wait for 2 next 2 years to claim? Any one have ideas for that? Thanks