how much to go with?

sue2oz

what do you thinks a sensible amount of money go over to adelaide to live with is

?.we have 4 children and want to rent for about 6/12 mths to see how we get on.

we are going on a skilled 175 visa so there should be a defo work out there for us.

Dont mean to be nosey but i think you get a idea if you ask you lovely people who are making the move or have done so.

whats the most SHOCKING:wideeyed:things that cost the most money that you wouldnt of thought would; eg food clothes shops and is there any nice cheap things that suprise you?

thanks guys

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jill wright

Hiya Sue

Hope your ok I don't mind saying we hope to go with £55,000 from house sale and hopefully a kitty 0f £10,000.00 for rent ,car andfurniture. I know this isn't a vast amount but after watching £10 poms on history channel its a start !!!. We are going to rent for a year and hope Phil and me too (part ime) find work within 3 months or I think we may struggle

Jill x

man that is a good question i will be taking £120,000 cash well in my bank but about £5000 in cash (pocket) i will be renting for a while until container turns up but then again i might stay in a motel just not sure what to do,i will have wife and two young children so money will be tight for a while

alex

Guest jill wright

No need to apologise I'm sure we're all going with very varied amounts of money and different hopes and dreams too. One thing we all have in common though is the desire for a change and I don't think there is a specified amount needed to acheive that do you

good luck am finding this thread quite interesting

jill and phil

Guest Libby1971

We spent $9000 on a Toyota Camry estate 1996. Furniture costs $2000 for a 3 piece suite from Haggle (advert says 'you've got to haggle haggle' so I did). Washing machines are about $500/$600 up. For one that is decent. Dining table and 6 chairs cost us $700 or $800 and we bought beds from Fantastic furniture who have a website. Delivery is extra and depends on which suburb you want it delivered to.

We paid 4 months rent up front for a rental which helped to offset the fact we had no Aussie history. We were advised to do this.

We thought that as were on the Skilled Occupations List, we would be able to find work very easily. NOT the case...the work is there, in the middle of nowhere, where even the Aussies won't go. Please please please research the job opportunities in your field and contact employers from the UK before you come. It is the one thing I regret.

Libby

Guest Devon

Good post Libby. I do read these threads sometimes and think where did these people get their info?! I was reading this thread and thinking GBP 5,000. isn't that about $10,000. For rent and stuff won't last long. We also had to put several months rent up front a year ago to secure our rental as good ones are in short supply. We had rented our previous for a year and they were going to put up the rent by $50 per week due to demand. It's not to be negative as a lot of us love it here so we're not saying don't come, just get in the real world. Does anyone know anyone who was able to retire in Adelaide by the age of 35?

Guest cornish Busdriver

I think your right Libby.

Reading though the post, it's scary that people have not sorted jobs out before they move !!!!!!!!!!.

Just because there skills are on the Skilled Occupations List, people seem to think that they will be able to find work very easily and when they get there they cant.

Me and the missus are lucky in that respect. On are reccie last june I found work as a busdriver for Transit-plus and missus has got a job at the Calvary.

We are planning to bring roughly about $350,000 with us to get us started.

Our budget will be.

$30,000 for 2 cars.

$15 > $20,000 for 6 months rent.

$150,000 + for a deposit on a house.

and the rest for other forgotten expences.

Regards

Matt

Guest soggy

HI,

getting a job before you arrive is a great idea, but unless you are lucky or in a highly skilled and sort after job you need a bit of luck to get a job from the UK.

Most employers in the building industry for example that I worked in untill recently get phone calls and emails from people all the time from all over the world asking for work or sponsorship and although some do sponsor most will just say conntact me when you get here as they can't plan their business around people who expect to arrive in 3, 5, 7 months time. I have heard of several people, one I have spoken to myself who were told by employers, yes we have plenty of work for you, you can start as soon as you arrive only when they arrive are told, we did have vacancies when you asked but they have been filled or sorry things have slowed down.

If you can get a firm job offer before you arrive thats great, but for most people all they can do is lots and lots of reserch, contact as many employers as possible so they understand the work, pay , conditons, and licencing ect, and come prepared for anything and expecting to work hard.

Simon:D:D:D

Guest ozzy wannabe

my advice is to bring as much as you can, both me and my husband worked incredibley hard before we left the uk and lived on a very tight budget for 12 months. We have been here a month now and all we have done is spend money. Hubby starts work soon so hopefully the pot will start filing up again.

Good luck

vicky

Guest Guest75

I'd have to say bring as much as you can - it does help!

For at least the first 6 months money just seems to run through your hand like water.

But you are replacing the life and goods you had in the UK.

Guest Nick11
I'd have to say bring as much as you can - it does help!

For at least the first 6 months money just seems to run through your hand like water.

But you are replacing the life and goods you had in the UK.

6 months - more than 12 I'd say.

I'm so glad we paid the money to have our stuff from the uk shipped over . I dread to think how much it would have cost us if we hadn't.

With both of us not working for 2 months we found quickly that we were getting through money like we were playing a game of monopoly.

It certainly does give you a reality check.

Especially when you get your first ozzie pay packet!

Guest Django

Wow you lot are rich. :notworthy:

We will be arriving in Adelaide with the shirts on our backs and enough money for a few months rent, but for the first time ever debt free. We are prepared to struggle. We have done it all our lives so far and can't see why Adelaide should be any different. We will ship everything over so shouldn't need to spend too much. The one thing we can do is for Tracey to secure a job before we leave.

I wouldn't worry over money. So long as you can keep a roof over your head and food in your belly then no worries. Once you are established (in work, kids in school, place to live, etc) then you can start to enjoy your new life. Think of and treat it, all as an adventure rather than a just a move. Its gonna be a challenge, and a fun one at that. Don't fret over how little cash you are taking over because I can guarentee you will be taking over more than us and we aren't worried even with four young children in tow.

Pete

Wow you lot are rich. :notworthy:

We will be arriving in Adelaide with the shirts on our backs and enough money for a few months rent, but for the first time ever debt free. We are prepared to struggle. We have done it all our lives so far and can't see why Adelaide should be any different. We will ship everything over so shouldn't need to spend too much. The one thing we can do is for Tracey to secure a job before we leave.

I wouldn't worry over money. So long as you can keep a roof over your head and food in your belly then no worries. Once you are established (in work, kids in school, place to live, etc) then you can start to enjoy your new life. Think of and treat it, all as an adventure rather than a just a move. Its gonna be a challenge, and a fun one at that. Don't fret over how little cash you are taking over because I can guarentee you will be taking over more than us and we aren't worried even with four young children in tow.

Pete

I must say its nice to see someone else who isn't going over with much. I will hopefully be able to save about £8000 though as i will be moving in with my parents soon. I was worried that wouldn't be enough but i do have the security of a job when i get there so i should be thankful for that.

Emma

Guest mOZzy

i thought the same thing 'wow, everyone is rather rich' :err:

all i want to take is enough to cover the rent for the first 9 months at least.

that should give us enough time to get a job for OH (fingers crossed) - especially since he'll have to get his licence first!!!

i won't even think of a car just yet untill i am sure we can actually afford it!

but just like you pete, we like the nice things but we don't really need them.

and the whole reason for us to move around the world is to get a different life to the one we have now :cute:

Guest hulltigers

cheers pete, after sale of house and pay off everything we will only land in oz with about 10 grand , im 38 and will be taking a mortgage out, we are prepared for hard work too, but a better life to relax in. by the time payed for migration agents and shipping and taking dog, and medicals and visas and flights your talking 10 grand there , but we know we will be much happier in oz, people who can afford to buy a house out right please dont worry about money, lol phil by the way, im a bricklayer too

Guest Leanne & Mark

We're not rich but like you Pete we will be debt free!!!!!!!:jiggy: I think we've lost half our money having to drop the house...which is so bloody typical!!!!!!!!!!

So after flights etc we HOPE to have £10k.

Infact how much actual cash should we go with, before accessing bank accounts etc for 5 of us??

£500?? £1000??

Guest Leanne & Mark

I think we'll go middle ground £800 LOL!!

Depends on your visa what your entitled too doesn't it? and what you earn!, we think Mark will have a job to go to so we should be absolutely sorted!!:D.

I for one have NO PLANS of getting the same trap with money like we have here, cant afford it??...Can't have it then can we!!! (Please everyone remind me of that wen i start buying things.................No actually tell Mark, he's much worse than me!!!)

Guest Libby1971

Benefits are not awarded as arbitrarily as they are in the UK.

If you are permanent residency, you get the equivalent of Child Allowance. If you are not on PR, you get nothing.

You cannot claim the equivalent of Jobseekers Allowance/ Unemployment Benefit but you can get a contribution paid towards your rent.

As for bank accounts and cash, please make a phone call while in the UK to make sure your cash is in your account before you leave. We didn't, got here, went to activate our account and they didn't have our money. It took 2 days to find out where it was and another 8 days to actually get it. I cannot tell you how stressed I was...I'm sure you can imagine. Luckily, we came over with about $4000 which we thought could be used to pay for furniture, put deposit on car, and a rental during the first week. All of that had to wait until the rest of our money arrived which was almost 2 weeks after we got here. Hideous!

Libby