Student Finance

debbie lawrence

Hi has anyone any experience of sorting out their kids student finance, my 2 are still in the uk at university and we have just moved over here so this year it could be a bit complicated (as it was a nightmare even back in the uk). Just wondered if anyone has any tips to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks

Debbie

Hi has anyone any experience of sorting out their kids student finance, my 2 are still in the uk at university and we have just moved over here so this year it could be a bit complicated (as it was a nightmare even back in the uk). Just wondered if anyone has any tips to make it as smooth as possible.

Thanks

Debbie

What visa do you (and your kids) have? and are you asking about sorting out their finance for the UK or are they transferring their study here?

​NWM

Thanks

Debbie

Unless you are an Australian Citizen there is no finance help available.As a PR you have to pay all fees in advance per semester at the domestic rate,and no other help is provided you have to be self supporting no loans etc. If you are on a temp Visa you have to pay all fees upfront on the international rates.

So in short no help until you are a Australian citizen

Unless you are an Australian Citizen there is no finance help available.As a PR you have to pay all fees in advance per semester at the domestic rate,and no other help is provided you have to be self supporting no loans etc.

Not entirely true - after two years the children would be entitled to some centre link payments depending on their (and their parents) income and living arrangements

​NWM

sorry everyone I meant to say we are here on a 457 and they aren't on it as we didn't realise we could (thought as they were over 18 they weren't classed as dependent) but it turns out we could have done it as they are still in full time education, now are going for PR we are going to put them on that, they are still in the uk and will carry on till they finish there degree courses over there, so for them to get their student loans we have to fill in their student finance forms, when we were in the UK hubby wasn't working so they got some grants, but not sure as we're both working over here if they will qualify, (happy to support them and they both understand they will probably have to work) but wondered if anyone knew what sort of info they would require from us to support their loans.

Thanks everyone

Guest PaulandVicky
Were on a 176 pr visa and my son who starts uni next year is not entitled to hecs (student loan) until he gets citizenship in 2yrs so has to self fund. he gets a discount for the commonwealth but don't think he is entitled to anything else. Luckily he won a scholarship to Adelaide Uni so that saves him $5000 on the first years fees.

You can contact the universities they will advise accordingly.

Lisa

I'm not sure you have answered the post or just talked about yourself...?? ;)