Australian tax return

Leeds1877

Am just trying to plan ahead. We have left all of our savings in the Uk so are unsure how this will affect this years return and future ones when we trf it over. Also wanted advice as we have shares in London FTSE that will be selling in next year and wanted to know how we would work that in and what the taxable amounts would be etc...I am guessing I will need to book time with an advisor so maybe there will be one on here. If not will sort one out myself..

Guest Guest12727
Am just trying to plan ahead. Also wanted advice as we have shares in London FTSE that will be selling in next year and wanted to know how we would work that in and what the taxable amounts would be etc...I am guessing I will need to book time with an advisor so maybe there will be one on here. If not will sort one out myself..

As robeaves said it is pretty straightforward to complete your own tax return online with eTax if your situation is standard i.e. you are employed and pay tax through your employer. The employer provides a summary of your earnings and tax paid in July and this is the basis for your return. You then include any income from savings (including foreign savings) and any allowable deductions such as work related expenses such as uniform, books and training courses related to your work if you have paid for them yourself. Also information about any children etc.

If you have any other income, ie from stocks and shares, foreign investment, property rental income etc, it is worth seeing a tax accountant. There are loads of them and they advertise extensively when it gets close to tax return time. They range from individual accountant in their own business to large organisations with branches all over. There are many in the North East, look in the local business directory or yell.com.au for tax accountant.

To help you decide if you need an accountant, you can look at eTax and see if you think you can complete it yourself this year http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/

​Glad you are liking the NE area.

As robeaves said it is pretty straightforward to complete your own tax return online with eTax if your situation is standard i.e. you are employed and pay tax through your employer. The employer provides a summary of your earnings and tax paid in July and this is the basis for your return. You then include any income from savings (including foreign savings) and any allowable deductions such as work related expenses such as uniform, books and training courses related to your work if you have paid for them yourself. Also information about any children etc.

If you have any other income, ie from stocks and shares, foreign investment, property rental income etc, it is worth seeing a tax accountant. There are loads of them and they advertise extensively when it gets close to tax return time. They range from individual accountant in their own business to large organisations with branches all over. There are many in the North East, look in the local business directory or yell.com.au for tax accountant.

To help you decide if you need an accountant, you can look at eTax and see if you think you can complete it yourself this year http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/

​Glad you are liking the NE area.

Good explanation Howde :)