Outstanding student loan

Guest deardos

Guest deardos

Hi has anybody got an outstanding student loan in the UK. It isn't tens of thousands. I have wrote to them stating I have migrated perminantly to Australia and I no longer have a uk bank account. Which I don't !

Any of you guys in the same situation or had previous dealings ?

Guest BurgessFamily

yes, and if there is an income test to determine if you should pay, and you don't think you earn enough... then you generally need to fill a form in each year getting a covering letter from anyone who is supporting you financially.

You can transfer your money/payback of your loan easily from an Australian bank account to the UK, direct or with moneycorp or any other provider fee free.

No bank account in the UK and migrating to Down Under are no reasons, anyway, if you suffer financial hardship that might give you more time in repayments.

I"ll pay my student loan back today, still have a bank account in Europe (I use SEPA).

Guest Nixipixi82
Hi has anybody got an outstanding student loan in the UK. It isn't tens of thousands. I have wrote to them stating I have migrated perminantly to Australia and I no longer have a uk bank account. Which I don't !

Any of you guys in the same situation or had previous dealings ?

I'll be in the same situation.

They say you have to have a UK bank account, but they will take it whether you do or not. No escaping it unfortunately :-(

Guest Claire-n-tel

Would anyone think that they didn't have to pay back any kind of loan just because they have moved over seas?:nah:

If i borrowed it, i spent it and i owe it i'd expect to have to pay it where ever i was living. If they can legally chase you for it in Australia is neither here nor there really.

It is not difficult to transfer money to the Uk, i have done it both directly into bank accounts and also via moneycorp.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Would anyone think that they didn't have to pay back any kind of loan just because they have moved over seas?:nah:

If i borrowed it, i spent it and i owe it i'd expect to have to pay it where ever i was living. If they can legally chase you for it in Australia is neither here nor there really.

It is not difficult to transfer money to the Uk, i have done it both directly into bank accounts and also via moneycorp.

I don't think the OP is trying to get out of paying it, rather he is asking how other people have managed to sort it out when they don't have a UK bank account anymore, seeing as Student Loans want to make it as difficult as possible for you to pay it back if you have moved overseas. If the OP didn't want to pay it back at all, surely they would have asked 'did anyone get chased' or words to that effect, or would simply have not mentioned it at all?

It depends on what style of loan (ie the age) it is as to the legalities of the agreement (with regards to everything not just repaying it etc), but that's a whole can of worms really....

You can bet on one thing though - they are one of the most incompetent companies going, who will make it almost impossible for you to pay them the correct amount for the correct amount of time, and then get stroppy with you when they have mucked up (again).

Not sure I agree Adelaide_bound your statement about it being one of the most incompetent companies going.My own daughter went to uni here (UK)and is currently working (UK)and she has had no hassle at all with repaying her loan,and neither has all her friends.

Deardos:We have had our fair share of people on this forum and other similar forums of people "jumping ship"on loans (not just student ones either)and asking whether they will get caught and what not.I'm not saying you are one of those people,but (myself included)some of us are not very sympathetic to those who do this.Of course we know you will pay your loan.What kind of person gets educated at uni in the UK,and then does'nt pay for the privilege?I best not answer that!:nah:

Actually they do make it very hard to pay from overseas, they will not accept it from an overseas bank account and charge a large fee for paying by credit card. They assess your income and payments every year, send out a revised amount letter but do not give it time to arrive here for you to pay the revised amount and then penalise you for 'arrears'. They also do not answer your emails!

I see from a previous post that some people use moneycorp so that is obviously an avenue worth trying, thanks for that :)

Having demonstrated back in the late 80's against the introduction of student loans I'd say ... "do a runner, do a runner"

However as the politically apathetic Gen Y all failed to do anything to stop the introduction of student fees I'd say its all your fault and the government should charge you all double !!

Pleased I'm an old fart who got their education for free.

Guest deardos

Thank you mejulie, I don't intend to not pay my debt ! I wanted to know other people's experiences. I have never stated that i am jumping ship ! People just want to read what they want to read ! To be honest I have had enough of this forum obviously there are people on here just want to be scathing rather than give help or give other people's USEFUL advise, which thank you some of you have !

a sad fare to a site that could have so much promise !

Guest Claire-n-tel

For goodness sake!.....Deardos, i think if you read your opening post it is clear that you intended to pay why would you call them to find out how??.......BUT there are also posts that could be read as advice to "jump ship" 'they can chase you for this one' 'no escaping it unfortunatly' etc Often answers in threads are not Just to the OP

Guest BurgessFamily
For goodness sake!.....Deardos, i think if you read your opening post it is clear that you intended to pay why would you call them to find out how??.......BUT there are also posts that could be read as advice to "jump ship" 'they can chase you for this one' 'no escaping it unfortunatly' etc Often answers in threads are not Just to the OP

exactly... forum = many eyes

Guest Nixipixi82

Calling to them to call to find out doesn't always give you definite answer. They are useless! I called and all they told me is that i have to find a way to pay. It is unfortunate in this day and age we have to pay to have an education, and as a mature student (at the time) i regretted not going to uni sooner. So being judgemental and jumping to conclusions gets you no where. We know we have to pay it back, just want to find out the best way to, even if that is begrudgingly. I have over £100 come out of my pay packet each month, if you had the same come out, wouldn't you be slightly peeved too??

And don't say 'oh well you wanted an education, so you must pay' rubbish, doesn't everyone want an education? Isn't that a human right????

Anyway, rant over :arghh:

Actually no, I wouldn't be annoyed. Student fees came in just as I was about to go to uni. I decided that I did not want to go enough to be paying back the fees, so I didn't go. I have however come over to oz and studied. All in all spent about $25k to study here as a mature student. It was my choice and I don't begrudge myself for making that choice. I knew the costs. The same as every other thing you take a loan out for. It's your choice and you can't get upset with anyone else but you.

And as others said, a forum is not just seen by you. Other people might have a similar question to you but NOT be planning to pay if back. Those answers are for them. Plenty of people just read others questions rather than risk incriminating themselves.

Hopefully the OP has had some useful answers and suggestions :)

*cue the interlude music*

Lets not get into having a go at each other over differing views or things said. Its a forum, its not perfect, its natural flow, people say things on here just as they might in real life. Sometimes its thing we like/want to hear and discuss, other times its not. I think I've read things said in this thread the same way as some, but not everyone. I have viewed it more as a conversation with some replies directly to the OP, others more an in general posting having a bit of a chat around the subject. Which happens on forums :) Doesn't make it a bad thing. The conversation is on topic so to speak, people are not veering off discussing the life cycle of frogs or lunar landings that may or may not have taken place :cute:

Quoting a post you are wanting to discuss on from can sometimes be useful as it can help others pick out what you are replying to, but its not that people have to do this. I know sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But I do know when reading threads I find it really useful seeing the quoted posts as it gives replies more context and helps me follow different strands of conversation in a thread.

If I had left any forum every time someone said something to me I didn't like or agree with, I'd have left every single one I've ever signed up for (and that is many in the past 15 years or so). Usually within a few days, sometimes a week :cute: I know not everyone views forums as I do, or deals with things said on them in the same way, but I don't let things put me off if I think a forum is valuable or useful or interesting to me for whatever I need/want to use it for. Often forums have their time and place in a persons life. Fandom, migration, pets, geeky stuff, sports. I've been on some forums close to a decade, others I only needed to use for a few weeks or months and had no need or interest to remain past that. I've been on here a while and will be here a while longer I am sure. Rough and smooth and all that, I like it, people on here are for the most part decent, helpful and well meaning. Sure, sometimes its not always to my liking but hey, the wind changes direction, I turn a corner and lo, different outlook on things, another day.

*end of interlude music* You can all wake up now :tongue:

Anyways, OP, back to topic and all that :)

Guest Claire-n-tel
Calling to them to call to find out doesn't always give you definite answer. They are useless! I called and all they told me is that i have to find a way to pay. It is unfortunate in this day and age we have to pay to have an education, and as a mature student (at the time) i regretted not going to uni sooner. So being judgemental and jumping to conclusions gets you no where. We know we have to pay it back, just want to find out the best way to, even if that is begrudgingly. I have over £100 come out of my pay packet each month, if you had the same come out, wouldn't you be slightly peeved too??

And don't say 'oh well you wanted an education, so you must pay' rubbish, doesn't everyone want an education? Isn't that a human right????

Anyway, rant over :arghh:

Seriously??.....It is a choice to study, same as it is a choice to take out a mortgage, or pay rent, and i guess its a human right to have a roof over your head.

I have around $200 a month to pay for medication, i have a choice, i could not take it but i choose to for a better life.

It is not about if anyone feels education should be free, at the end of the day it isn't free, but you know that up front, it is not like it is sprung on you after, we are all able to make an informed choice about it.

Guest Nixipixi82
Seriously??.....It is a choice to study, same as it is a choice to take out a mortgage, or pay rent, and i guess its a human right to have a roof over your head.

I have around $200 a month to pay for medication, i have a choice, i could not take it but i choose to for a better life.

It is not about if anyone feels education should be free, at the end of the day it isn't free, but you know that up front, it is not like it is sprung on you after, we are all able to make an informed choice about it.

So are you saying that no one is allowed to begrudge paying for it? With a debt of over £20,000 so that i could immigrate, i wouldn't say the level of lecturers etc was really worth it. But being able to get on in life is. But i will always begrudge paying such a ridiculous fee it. Just like most people probably begrudge paying TAXes, its just one of those really annoying things people have to pay.