UK Tax Credits over payment

zebedee

Slightly annoying story, nothing serious, but thought I would share. We left UK in July 2012 last year and at the time we were receiving a bit of tax credits - about 50 quid a month. We told them when we were leaving so it stopped when we left. It would seem that the threshold changed in that last few months we were still there so we've only just now got a letter asking for the money back. Works out to $350. The thing is, I realize that its money we got that we weren't entitled too (laughable really considering the amount of tax I've paid over the years) but I am still really resenting sending it back - almost feels like foreign aid!

Have they got your address in Australia or was the letter forwarded on to you? To be honest, I'd be tempted to ignore it if they haven't got your address. Small debts like that are likely to be written off pretty quickly and even larger debts are written off after about five years or so (so I was told anyway!) I speak with something of the voice of experience as I'm afraid I worked for the dreaded DSS in a previous existence!