Cost of Living

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

Just trying to work out how much money we will have to take with us and how much we will need before we get work.

I can find out furniture, rent etc prices on the internet but does anyone have any idea's how much a family of 6 would (roughly) need to live on a month (not including rent/mortgage but electric, water,food etc). I know everyone is different but it's just a rough amount to get an idea what to budget for eg. $1000 pm or $2000pm

I know when we get there our money will seem like loads to us but it will be our whole lifes worth so reckon I would be better if I had an idea of what to put away for everyday living or else I will probably find I have spent my life saving and have nothing to buy a house with :shocked:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Just trying to work out how much money we will have to take with us and how much we will need before we get work.

I can find out furniture, rent etc prices on the internet but does anyone have any idea's how much a family of 6 would (roughly) need to live on a month (not including rent/mortgage but electric, water,food etc). I know everyone is different but it's just a rough amount to get an idea what to budget for eg. $1000 pm or $2000pm

I know when we get there our money will seem like loads to us but it will be our whole lifes worth so reckon I would be better if I had an idea of what to put away for everyday living or else I will probably find I have spent my life saving and have nothing to buy a house with :shocked:

Without knowing you it is not easy to tell. I think the best way to do this is turn the $1000 back to pounds and think if you could live a month on that as it is not really cheaper here, Some things are..............before some of you start shouting............. but some things are far more expensive...cars for example. I dont know if the amount you put on here, is the budget for re furnishing, buying cars etc or just for everyday living after the initial purchases have been made. I would find it hard to live on $2000 a month. $70 a week on petrol thats just my car, $200 a week on food, gas is about $250 per quarter, electric $350, then there is the mortgage, phone /internet so on and so forth!

sarah

Guest paul_smart

yeah I agree with Sarah.

figure out what you spend in pounds, double it and there is your Dollars, if you budget for this then you may find your come under budget which you can add onto the next months. and possibly give you some breathing room.

Sarah, you are spot on!

every family is different, with where they shop and the types of things they buy. Outside interests etc... but although if you do a conversion from the UK to here some things seem cheaper, but you have to remember that the wages arent higher...

If you earned for example 500 pounds in the UK you would get $500 here, the cost of living is much the same.

You will find your feet after a few weeks once you arrive, our money ran through our fingers within the first 4 weeks, but we are back on track again, it's hard to know where to shop for household and food shopping, but you get there.

There are plenty on here who will help on your arrival to give you advice on household, car places to go.

Good luck x

Guys,

Don't forget they asked how much they would need NOT including the rent/mortgage, so $2000 should be easily doable, depending on lifetsyle of course. If you rent over here you also should not be paying for water/sewerage, as this should be covered by the owner/landlord.

It might also help to think about how much you would need each week, or 2 weeks, as you tend to be paid either weekly or bi-weekly over here, depending whether you're a permanent or temporary employee.

If you choose the right area your kids could walk to school and you might have public transport on your doorstep, again saving you money.

J.

Guest Libby1971

If paying $300 a week for mortgage or rent, you could get by on $4000 a month. So if not paying rent or mortgage, adjust the figure accordingly. We are a family of 4 so bear thin in mind, especially as our 2 eat us out of house and home.

This is what my OH reckons who does the budgeting. I have no idea...I just spend money whenever I can.

Libby

Guest caoimhe

Thanks for the advice guys.

I know I will try and overestimate what we need to be on the safe side I just wanted to know roughly what I can put away to buy a house

Cheers all

Guest Leanne & Mark

Right ok!!! I'm having a blonde moment...Day...ok i'm always in a state of blondness!!

But ..every time i work it out my figures change!!

Based on $4000 for the five of us..(whilst they're little uns) with tax and everything else that comes off, what do we need to be earning???

I got around $68k is that right????????????:confused:(or was it 72, 78, 84)

What was tax again?? When does Super come off??? Oh dear i'm confused!!! LOL