Centre link entitlement

anil bhardwaj

We got state sponsored PR visa 176 in 2010.I came alone seeing the job scenario and as kids school mid session.My family will join after a year.

I went to centre link and enquired for support for me and family till I get employment.I was told to dial toll free number which I was able to connect after 2 days of attempt.I was told in phone that I am not entitle for any benefits for 02 yrs.When I told if I bring family then whether I will be getting any support.For this I was told that if kids are more than 15 yrs of age then no support will be given.My request for help by job services Australia was also not heeded too.

Will any body answer to my following queries

1)Is there any source other than telephoning toll free numbers such as face to face or online chat to centre link for claiming of support benefit.

2) What is the age limits for kids to be eligible for child allowance.

3)Am I entitle for any support such as job Australia

Guest BurgessFamily

I think immigration will expect you to support yourself until you find employment. As others have said, if you have your family here, you may be entitled to family assistance and rent assistance.

If you could get unemployment benefit on arrival, I think a lot more people would be willing to make the move - it would certainly be one less stress to worry about. :)

It is really hard to get satisfaction from centrelink on the phone - they make it so difficult to get through to anybody you can talk to.

I see you are in Croydon Park. There is a Centrelink office at the Arndale shopping centre (8 Regency Road Kilkenny), which is not too far from you. It might be worthwhile to just turn up and wait for an interview with someone. Hopefully if you can speak to somebody in person they will answer your questions and give you the information you need. Take some ID with you (passport, drivers licence etc).

Surely you won't be entitled to financial support, will you? I thought that one of the key features of a state sponsored visa is that the state will support your application because (amongst other things) you have stated you can financially support yourself until you find work - it's part of the checklist of things you have to tick when applying.

If you could get unemployment benefit on arrival, I think a lot more people would be willing to make the move

...as became the problem in the UK and probably part of why we're all here.

To the OP - to put it bluntly Australia, fortunately, doesn't seem to have the same "throw all possible state benefits at the migrants" attitude and I reckon that's a good thing. Posting here asking how/what you can claim given you're here as a state sponsored migrant is, quite franky, un-Australian. You should have worked out your finances before coming and should be able to support yourself for at least the time you're tied to South Australia.

You chose to move.

By all means flame me. I worked in Housing/Council Tax Benefits for 15 years in the UK and got to be heartily sick of all the scroungers and their sob stories. Just doesn't wash anymore I'm afraid.

Edited by snifter

Guest Claire-n-tel
Some has a misconception that I want to survive on tax payer amount.actually I am making all effort to grab a job and trying best not to rely on centrelink.for extreme eventuality I am preparing for it.i came to Australia late due to my serious father illness .

Anil, sorry to hear of your fathers illness. Regardless of your situation though you should have arrived in Australia ready for any "extreme eventuality" ie with enough money to survive without turning to benifits which you must have known you wouldn't be entitled to.

How long have you actually been here? are you applying for any jobs or just jobs in your field?

Information taken from Immigration SA website regarding state nomination and financial capacity (and can be used as a guide for others)......

11.1 Applicants must ensure that they have sufficient funds for settlement when they arrive in South Australia. Evidence of financial capacity is not required. However, Immigration SA reserves the right to seek additional information or evidence at a later stage if necessary. The requirement depends on whether you are applying offshore or onshore.

11.2 Financial requirement:

Applicants need to have combined cash and assets within the range listed in the table below. As a guideline, when applicants arrive in South Australia, Immigration SA recommends that offshore applicants have $20,000 in cash and onshore applicants have $5,000 in cash for settlement. Applicants should not dispose of any assets before the visa is granted.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TH=width: 500]Family composition

[/TH]

[TH=width: 300]

Offshore Applicant: Combined cash & assets requirement

[/TH]

[TH=width: 300]

Onshore Applicant: Combined cash & assets requirement

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #ebf5fc]

[TD=width: 500]Main applicant only

[/TD]

[TD=width: 300]

Total figure between AUD$ 20,000 - 25,000

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$5,000 - 10,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 500]Main applicant plus one (1) dependent

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$25,000- 30,000

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$ 10,000 - 15,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #ebf5fc]

[TD=width: 500]Main applicant plus two (2) dependents

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$30,000 - 35,000

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$15,000 - 20,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 500]Main applicant plus three (3) dependents

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$35,000 - 40,000

[/TD]

Total figure between AUD$20,000 - 25,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest Toodolou

im not sure of legalities of visa etc , can you leave oz , go back to your wife/ family , get a job and save money and return when you have some savings behind you and then whilst you search for work in oz . i think its quite reasonsble the government dont give benefits out to people emigrating the first 2 yrs and expect you to support yourselfs , i wish the UK did the same

Ah !! what a missile firing from all quarters. when I asked for queries innocently; my predicament is bombarded with advices, Do's and Don'ts, rule books, decorations short of scroungers,charts, facts, my where about, go back and earn and then come etc. etc.

I never expected these . I expected precise reply from this forum. At present Only thing that comes to my mind is" If you cannot bestow flowers than please at least don"t throw thorns".Thanks to those who were really serious,sympathetic,personal.I am a NEW AUSSIE forget going back.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Anil.....

What did you expect was going to happen, you are on a forum where almost everyone has been a new immigrant, trying to find jobs, looking for housing, supporting families etc.

This is a forum, you may get answers to your questions but you will also get opinions, thats just how it works....

If you are looking for a precice answer to your questions..

1)Is there any source other than telephoning toll free numbers such as face to face or online chat to centre link for claiming of support benefit. you are able to attend a centre link office if you want to, although the information they give is the same as they give on the telephone

2) What is the age limits for kids to be eligible for child allowance. Have a look at the government website there are comprihensive answers to child benifit entitalments

3)Am I entitle for any support such as job Australia No, as you have been advised you are not entiled to any beneifts in you first 2 years

O

I am a NEW AUSSIE forget going back.
I would suggest that you begin acting like one then

Come on everyone. People should be able to ask IF they are entitled to anything without getting a hard time. He didn't say he didn't think it was fair, that he should be entitled to claim or anything similar.

We even had a thread going about what people are and are not entitled to when they first arrive. I would never have realised I would be eligible for maternity leave, family credits (or whatever they are called) and rent assistance within the first two years if it wasn't for forums. Does that make me a bad person because I'd claim them if I could?

There has been plenty of helpful advice, what do you feel has not been answered? Yes people have mentioned rules because that's what we are all faced with.. No matter if we think they are unfair.

People actually gave the 'rules' right at the beginning if the thread. What came after that was judgement.

I got skilled visa on the basis of my experience of 20 Years and engineering qualification. I was assessed successful as Engineer by Engineers Australia.I am offered membership of Engineers Australia on the basis of above qualities. When I went to apply for the job I was told that my experience and qualification are not recognised by the Australian market. Govt recognises it but market do not.Here my calculation of settlement went awry.Now struggle is not for a year or two.I have to start from scratch for which a man of my age is veri veri difficult if not impossible. I read everything in immigration web site but no manual or rule book has mention of it.

Guest Guest12727

Hi Anil,

Have you tried UniSA and Adelaide Uni to see if they require any casual tutoring in their engineering courses? It is worth a try.

Contact the Head of School

UniSA School of Engineering https://www.unisa.edu.au/IT-Engineering-and-the-Environment/School-of-Engineering/Contact-us1/

Adelaide Uni School of engineering http://eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/about/contact/