How much money........

srg73

.........did you land with? Just a guide please as we are wanting to keep our UK property for 1-2 years whilst the tax window remains open and then decide whether to sell of continue renting it out. With savings alone we would be landing with circa $50k which would need to support 2 of us including rent (thinking cheap apartment in Unley area circa $300/week), buy a car (circa $10k) and live for the first year very simply. Obviously as soon as we can secure jobs then hopefully we are adding back to the savings and stop drawing them down. Both professional people, me, insurance/construction (chartered) and my wife pharmaceutical/healthcare.

Is this a realistic amount and plan?

Thanks S

Also can we pack liquids such as toiletries for the year?

Can't comment on the money as we stayed with relatives so no rent etc for us.

Shipping wise, it's fine to ship stuff in your container. Just not aerosols and pressurised containers iirc. We shipped shampoo, soap and other toiletries, although not in a big bulk, just a few of each.

Hi there,

We landed 3 months ago, with £8k.. Bought a car for $4000. But the most important thing was due to lack of funds was to find a job.

We landed on a Saturday, was out posting my CV through doors on Monday and secured a job by Thursday, that it's quick.. The lack of funds has never been a problem, we just buy furniture for our rental on a weekly basis when I get paid...

Thanks all, Snifter noted and will plan to bring say 6 bottles of most things as should last a while and take the pressure of buying new in Australia off our budget.

Regarding money, yes we live quite a simple existence although do enjoy regular treats which will have to come to a stop or we will have to simply treat the who experience as a treat including the free things. We are also very determined to get jobs even if they are low grade as we have never not worked a day in my lives, very rarely take days off sick and if not away abroad then end up working on the house when we take holiday from work!

S

Not sure but think unley is quite expensive? I worked tirelessly to find a job for 4 months.... Finding a job was like a full time job in itself! There were times i never thought it would happen but tomorrow i start my new job! Yippeee! We were very lucky my husband had a job before we came over! Have a look at all the job sites to see the availability of your occupation

$50k is plenty, especially if you have no dependents (sounds like you don't).

We arrived as a couple with around $15k, no jobs and managed fine (also with property in UK). To be fair after a week of travelling, buying a cheap car and bond on our flat half that was gone, but it can be done on a tight budget.

It helps to start bringing in dollars as soon as you can, if at least one of you is working that will make all the difference.

Good luck

No kids and rent from UK property will cover itself and any costs including maintanance so no earnings to support us. As mentioned, we will work at most things simply to pay the rent. Just want to end up in secure professional jobs so we can lay a deposit down and start an Aus mortgage. In an emergency we would have an additional circa $60k in ISA savings however these are for our UK mortgage.

S

Unley is pretty pricey. Have you checked rentals in that suburb? Had relatives lived there for a few years and its a lovely suburb, but yes, defo going to cost a bit more and not sure how much you'll get for your money.

If you wanted you could find a car for less. Ours is going great, cost 6K when we got here. 10 months rego on it, low mileage and pretty much a FSH. We'd shopped round and others a year or two newer were not as good a condition so we got that one before it spent more than a day or two on the lot. A good find but it took a few days of looking to get it. Glad we did that though, rather taken the extra couple of days and saved a few thousand than just bought one the first day of looking.

Hi Snifter,

Thanks for the reply, been to Adelaide twice now, we are definitely southern people with the northern half being a little industrial for our liking. Much further south than Brighton seemed quite a distance away from the city and turned a night out into bit of a task, Norwood and surrounding areas seemed nice but houses are small, prices high and seemed a little too posh for us. Unley seemed quiet, has the tram link to Glenelg (which is nice but not sure we would want to live there) and not too far from the city. Wife also liked Eden Hills although seemed quite far away.

Regarding a car, thought would be to stick with Japanese as had a Honda before and seemed to be built like a tank. Have an Audi at the moment and been disappointed plus Euro cars will be hard to source parts for in Aus. Wife wants and SUV for weekends etc so $10k would buy something reliable (hopefully) which we would hang onto for a couple of years. Must admit car prices seems to be all over the place in Aus, some cheap, a lot expensive and only a few which really jump out as being worth a look. It also does seem a little strange that cars seem to be serviced so often, every 5000km's where as UK my car is lucky if it see's a garage ever 18,000 miles! (company car so a little more relaxed about not servicing).

S

I arrived (on my own) with 1500 pounds. In fact it may have been a little less. I stayed with relatives for 2 weeks and had waitressing work (casually, only earning say $300 per week) by day 4 and a full time admin temp job by week 6. (I landed early Dec so bad timing for job hunting). I lived in a share house in Glenelg where my room plus all bills came to $130 per week.

I didn't buy a car until I'd been here about 10 months (as I never intended to stay longer than a year originally) but didn't need one in Glenelg with easy bus and tram to the city. If you pick an area on good public transport you may well not need a car for a while, which will save you lots. Adelaide is a hard place to live without a car, but it can be done if you pick a good spot - eg Glenelg, somewhere around the city (North Adelaide, Prospect, Unley etc) or somewhere on a train but obviously only works if your commute to work is do-able on public transport. However my partner and I just went 20 months until recently with no car in an effort to pay off some debt and save money and it is definitely do-able (though very very nice to have a car again now!) Just some food for thought that you may not need a car immediately.

I think $50k sounds like loads... that's about median wage in Adelaide for one person so you should be fine I'm sure. And, I'm sure someone will jump on me for sounding financially irresponsible, but that's what credit cards are for if you need to use them in the odd tight spot...

Edited by soo_the_panda
typos