Seminar for Pension Transfers, Investments & Mortgages

Hi All

Having discovered this site only recently (and what a fantastic site!) I have noticed that there are lots of you out there that have lots of questions on money matters.

As such I thought I might get your feedback on whether anyone would be interested in coming along to a seminar in Adelaide covering:

UK Pensions & Australian Superannuation

Mortgages for temporary and permanent residents

Investments & Life Insurance (differences between UK & Oz)

Having moved from the UK to Adelaide myself, I understand the difficulties you can encounter in these areas.

As a qualified Financial and Mortgage Advisor both in Australia (where I work for a well established private practice) and in the UK (where I spent many years as an Advisor for Natwest and Alliance & Leicester) I have expertise in both markets, therefore if anyone feels that this would be of interest to them then please let me know.

Andy.

Guest morgie@51

I would be interested too as between me an my wife we have 3 final salary pensions to deal with. I'm aware that I need to look at these although my gut feel is to leave them where they are until we know with some degree of certainty where we are likely to end up on a permament basis.

Hi Morgan,

these are some of the points that could covered on the day, looking at the pro's and con's ! For some people not transferring maybe worth considering.

I will keep you posted as to dates and may ask for burning questions from those coming along before hand so that I can make it as valuable as possible!

Guest donna T

I am being nagged rotton by Nick11 to get my backside off the chair and my nose out of the red wine and sort this out:biglaugh:

(I know it's in my interest Nick and am very gratefull really!!!) So I would definitely be interested in coming along too.

Thanks

Donna x

Guest Nick11

We've just transferred ours over and its a real eye opener!

Good or bad - at least it puts you in control of your future.

Our reality check was omg we've only got 19 years til we reach retirement.

Quite a sobering thought!

Hello all.

Thanks to all that have replied to this, I now have had a response from 8 people showing an interest in coming along. Therefore I thought I would post some possible dates.

I have included a Saturday in these as I am aware some people have work commitments! Please let me know which date is preferable to you and indicate a second choice and let me know by PM or replying to this thread or emailing me direct. I will try to chose a date to fit best with as many as I can.

I can accommodate up to 10 people (so room for 2 more!). I have also had an interest from PIA members who have not yet arrived in Adelaide but will be over in the next few months, so I thought that maybe I could make this a regular event say 6 weekly or bi-monthly, so for any of you out there who would be interested in attending a future Seminar please let me know.

The dates pencilled are as follows:

Tues 27th May

Sat 31st May

Tues 3rd June

Start times for all dates would be around 1pm ish and should last approx 1 – 1.5 hours.

When the date has been finalised I will confirm this with everyone attending as well as give address details.

Thanks,

Guest donna T

Hi Andrew

That's great - thank you.

Could you let me know where in Adelaide the seminar would be held and if it would be okay to bring the little one along.

Many thanks once again

Donna x

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the text.

Yeah Saturday looks like the best day for us as well. Richard is working during the week.

Many thanks

Amanda

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

I can now confirm that the majority have requested the Saturday 31st May so we will go with this date. Andy & Lindsey, no problem I have marked you in for the last two seats. The address is as follows: 270-272 Payneham Road, Payneham, Adelaide 5000. My office number is 08 8363 1755. The start time will be approximately 1pm.

I will PM all that have replied in due course to finalise attendance. In the meantime if any of you coming along would like me to cover any specfic questions/issues within the presentation please feel free to contact me with these and I will do my best to cover them.

Many thanks.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Here is the final list of those that have all confirmed.

Scooter Dan & Steph

Karen & Steve

Richard & Amanda

Andy & Lindsey

Morgan

I have PM'd each of you but have had a few missing PM's lately, so will give my mobile again: 0432317272

There is plenty of parking at front of building.

Start is 1pm, so maybe get there for about 12.50pm. I will try to keep it to around an hour to hour and 15mins.

I can probably get a few more in so anyone interested then feel free to contact me.

See you on Saturday

Andy

Guest Desmund

Hi Andy,

I would like to attend your seminar on the 31st, but I cannot make that time, but I would be very interested in being included in your next session.

Regards,

Des.

Hi Andrew

If we were over there, we would happily join your seminar. However, in the meantime, we are doing lots of fact finding on all areas. I wonder if you would be kind enough to let us know what the state pension situation is like over there, is is comparable to UK rates etc, how many years do you need to have contributed to be eligible.

thanks Carole & Andrew

Hi All

Having discovered this site only recently (and what a fantastic site!) I have noticed that there are lots of you out there that have lots of questions on money matters.

As such I thought I might get your feedback on whether anyone would be interested in coming along to a seminar in Adelaide covering:

UK Pensions & Australian Superannuation

Mortgages for temporary and permanent residents

Investments & Life Insurance (differences between UK & Oz)

Having moved from the UK to Adelaide myself, I understand the difficulties you can encounter in these areas.

As a qualified Financial and Mortgage Advisor both in Australia (where I work for a well established private practice) and in the UK (where I spent many years as an Advisor for Natwest and Alliance & Leicester) I have expertise in both markets, therefore if anyone feels that this would be of interest to them then please let me know.

Andy.

Hi Carole & Andrew

Thanks for your interest in the Pension Seminar, I will be holding these on a regular basis so hopefully you can make a future event.

In the meantime hope this helps regarding the Age Pension in OZ.

To be eligible for a government aged pension called a Centrelink Age Pension the following conditions must be satisfied:

• Australian resident and in Australia on the day the claim is lodged.
  • Must have been an Australian resident for a total of at least 10 years, and at least 5 of these years must have been in one continuous period, or
  • Residence in certain countries with which Australia has an International Social Security Agreement may count towards Australian residence, or
  • Have a qualifying residence exemption (arrived as refugee or under special humanitarian program), or
  • A woman who is widowed in Australia, when both she and her late partner were Australian Residents and who has 104 weeks residence immediately prior to claim, or
  • Person who is in receipt of Widow B Pension, Widow Allowance, Mature Age Allowance or Partner Allowance immediately before turning Age Pension age.
  • Can generally be paid for the total period of absence from Australia (some exemptions may apply), however, after 26 weeks the rate may change.

The age at which you are eligible for an Age Pension differs between men and women, but generally for women born after 1 January 1949 and for all men the age is 65.

The rate of payment is calculated under both the income and assets tests. The test that results in the lower rate (or nil rate) will apply.

A guide to all Australian Government Payments can be found at www.centrelink.gov.au .

The current payment for couples is $456.80 each a fortnight, this includes the Pension supplement of $15.80 each.

Hope this helps.

Hi Des

If you PM your contact details and an idea of when you will be arriving in Adelaide I will make sure that I fit you in on an event around that time.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andrew

only just been able to access site again, server or something has been down. The rates sound comparitive with England and good new that you dont have to have 30 years of full contributions like UK. Sounds a little vague with the income/assets issue but I will visit the site over the week end and see what we make of that informtion. Sounds promising so far. Your a star :-)