Best sim only plan and internet (3G) usage

amdaloia

Hi all

We are (patiently) waiting our visa approval (7 months and counting) and hope to be in Adelaide by about Sept/Oct this year.

I was born and bred in Adelaide but have spent the last 7 years in the UK and only been home twice for a quick holiday with the partner and our kids so a lot has changed in the time I have been away and now I am trying to put together a budget for our return and am kind of stumped when it comes to mobile phones and sim only plans etc.

My partner and I both have iPhones which we have bought outright (we arent tied to any contract here in the UK) and we are hoping not to be tied into any contracts when we return to Australia (at least to start with anyways).

I am just after some advice on the best companies to go with for sim only as well as an idea of how much data people generally use in any given month.

Our phones are wi-fi and 3G compatible and we are planning on staying with my mum for a few months when we arrive (and she has wi-fi) so it will only be using our data allotment when we are out and about.

Do people suggest we go with a high data allowance or would a relatively small one (say 1 or 3gb) be plenty? I generally get through about 600mb a month and my partner is probably the same or a bit less but I find London has a pretty decent wi-fi system when we are out and about as a lot of shops will give you free wi-fi if you log in etc. Is Adelaide the same or is it still difficult to get a wi-fi signal when out of your own home?

Cheers

Amanda

Wow, I'm guessing this is a generational thing but I hate my mobile and tend to use it for calls only. I'm not knocking the post as I'm about to buy my first iphone outright to use in Adelaide, wife has one already and rules her life, guessing they are addictive however I'm hoping to the mobile is less important in Adelaide.

S

Thanks folks. We used Amaysim when we came over for a couple of holidays and found it was pretty decent so might try them again. We are with Vodafone and Three in the UK but have no great allegiance to them so will happily take other networks when we arrive.

1gb is ample. Not sure anyone has actually answered that bit of your question.

Many parts of Adelaide CBD and surrounds has free wifi (and the areas are growing) too. What location will you be in most, if you are staying in the Hills you may find Telstra is your best option as their coverage is better, but far more pricey.

The companies others have mentioned use the Optus (maybe Vodafone too) networks and they have many more black spots. I use Vodafone due to the cheaper monthly costs, and don't have a problem.

I'm hoping to the mobile is less important in Adelaide.

Why would that be?

1gb is ample. Not sure anyone has actually answered that bit of your question.

Many parts of Adelaide CBD and surrounds has free wifi (and the areas are growing) too. What location will you be in most, if you are staying in the Hills you may find Telstra is your best option as their coverage is better, but far more pricey.

The companies others have mentioned use the Optus (maybe Vodafone too) networks and they have many more black spots. I use Vodafone due to the cheaper monthly costs, and don't have a problem.

Why would that be?

Thanks Adelaidenow....I was wondering how much gb would be suitable and thanks also for letting me know about the local wi fi in the CBD etc.....it answers a couple of my questions.

Do you find you have a good service with Vodafone? We are going to be living with my mum in Port Noarlunga South for a few months and then hopefully getting a rental or even buying our own place in a similar area. My partner will be working in the CBD and I am a stay at home mum at the moment but eventually plan to work in the CBD as well - so the coverage with free wi fi there is great :) and hopefully its pretty decent down South as well.