Transfering UK independent and teacher pension

Karen_Jon

Hi Karen

I was also a teacher in the UK, that is looking into transferring my pension over. I have got a meeting next Wednesday with an advisor from my bank, so can let you know what he recommends I do. I have however been in contact with my teacher pension in the UK to ask if it must be transferred by April 2015 as I had been told this was the case. They said nothing had been decided as yet.

Paul

Hi Karen and Paul

My latest thread on the UK Pension situation (http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/money-finance/43609-government-response-uk-pension-ban-australia-qrops.html#post301251), it covers off on the changes to legislation that may prevent transfers from occurring after April 15 however there is a chance they may still be able to continue to Australia.

Just a note, the Teachers Pension works very differently to an Australian Superannuation Fund and so taking advice from an Adviser that has a full understanding of how each system works and that will work with you to ascertain whether or not a transfer is in YOUR interests is recommended. This money is your retirement money and so you really need to look at the whole picture ie your retirement planning not just the UK Pension in isolation.

Here is another thread I wrote giving a brief overview of UK Pension/Transfers to Australia, it may help a bit: .http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/pensions-mortgages-ask-vista/34766-uk-pension-transfers-information-thread.html

Remember seeking advice from a Bank Adviser is certainly not obtaining independent advice and usually in many cases a transfer is pushed as being the best/only thing to do by promoting only positives and not pointing out the potential downsides/risks involved.

Also most Banks outsource the initial work to a third party who prepare a "Free Report" again this is not advice in relation to whether a transfer is in ones interests or not moreso a report on why you should transfer and the process involved.

They generally make their money if a transfer goes ahead only and charge a flat fee of around 3.3% regardless of amount.

Finally of course if using a Bank you will end up with a Bank product, not a product based on your individual circumstances.

Kind regards

Andy