Bank Accounts in Adelaide

mac

Guest tiswas88

Hi Mac,

NAB is the bank account I opened. I'm due to land in Adelaide Nov 4th. You can open it whilst in the Uk and transfer funds. Good rates of interest too.

• 3 months later...

We love nab. Apart from the fact half dh's family are or have been employees...we found that setting up here was easy when we moved back and I absolutely love their online banking, and can't complain about anything. We've had frauds on our credit card twice, and they rang us before we even noticed, they were fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ANZ & Westpac both do fee free for first 12 months. We have accounts with both as someone pointed out its worth having 2 accounts until you work out where you are going to live & what bank/ATM is closest (banks charge you $3 every time you take money out or even check your balance at a rival banks ATM)

Beware tho, we just found out once you land here they charge 49% tax on any interest you make until you give the bank your Tax File Number. You can claim it back but one to watch out for!

When I was in Perth I was told to use westBank as it was the more popular bank there with loads of them dotted around, is this the same as Adelaide? Just go with the bank that has the most branches locally? Or are they all there in Adelaide which just means we will choose the one that suits our needs best! Cheers Joe

• 3 weeks later...
ANZ & Westpac both do fee free for first 12 months. We have accounts with both as someone pointed out its worth having 2 accounts until you work out where you are going to live & what bank/ATM is closest (banks charge you $3 every time you take money out or even check your balance at a rival banks ATM)

I just went in to ANZ today, got here 2 days ago, she said that they didn't have a fee free account, I had to do the one with the $5 monthly unless I pop in over $2k pm.

What is the name of the account that was given to you? Perhaps I could go in and ask them for that instead.

I also opened one online with NAB as they have a fee free account.

I just went in to ANZ today, got here 2 days ago, she said that they didn't have a fee free account, I had to do the one with the $5 monthly unless I pop in over $2k pm.

What is the name of the account that was given to you? Perhaps I could go in and ask them for that instead.

I also opened one online with NAB as they have a fee free account.

ANZ may offer you a fee free banking if you go in and tell them you want to close your account because you can get a fee free account elsewhere. When I went to close mine the person I spoke to came up with some reason why we could have one but at that point I was so fed up with them ( and had already transferred all my payments and direct debits) that I closed it anyway.

Got to agree NAB (pronounced nab not N.A.B lol as we called it when we first arrived )

We also bank with Citibank for transferring money back to the UK fee free

Bit of a pain opening the account as there isn't a branch in Adelaide so verification is done at Aus post but worth it. I think Nab charge approx $22+ per transfer